Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    Deleted

Blizzard and the future of WoW

This is not a QQ, Wow is dying thread etc....

Watching the PS4 stream, it made me think...

My problem is the current threat of dumbing down talent tree for the possible expansion of the games towards consoles.
    Like diablo 3, the D2 fans were mostly disappointed by it. (incl me, but not everyone tho, i do still play it).

I think blizzard might do the same for WoW for the sake of releasing it on consoles. (wouldn't suprise tbh, with Activi$ion etc...)
    I mean, the current talent trees aren't bad or something. But the philosophy kinda failed. There are always best talents to optimize and shizzle.
    If they water it down more, it could mean the end of character customization in terms of combat.

This kinda scares me.

WoW has way too much 'stuff' going on for a console game.

Quote Originally Posted by Alceus View Post
    My problem is the current threat of dumbing down talent tree for the possible expansion of the games towards consoles.
    Let me just stop you right there a moment.

The Talents have not been dumbed down at all. If anything, they've been made more difficult, because now there is (generally) a choice when picking your talents. Previously, you'd visit a website that told you what to pick, and you'd use that for two years without ever opening up your talents again.

The new system is much more dynamic, has a lot more choice involved and I change my talents more in a single week, then I had over the entire 8 years of playing World of Warcraft...

Diablo had a console version. World of Warcraft never has.*

Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post

The Talents have not been dumbed down at all. If anything, they've been made more difficult, because now there is (generally) a choice when picking your talents. Previously, you'd visit a website that told you what to pick, and you'd use that for two years without ever opening up your talents again.

The new system is much more dynamic, has a lot more choice involved and I change my talents more in a single week, then I had over the entire 8 years of playing World of Warcraft...
    What this guy said. Talents are (mostly) better now then they ever have been.

*Corrected. Meant WoW and not RTS.
    Last edited by Sj; 2013-02-21 at 02:52 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't imagine WoW being on a console. There are too many buttons and keybinds to press to be able to do it. Imagine the incredible change of raid mechanics to accommodate the precise movements necessary that you can't get on a console...

10+ Year Old Account

Capitalizing on what Hyve is saying.

I also change my talents on a weekly basis. Each one is so based on your current situation, and everything changes depending on where you find yourself. It makes it not only difficult considering where you're currently committed, but forever relevant to you. You never just pick something and forget about it because chances are you'll find yourself in a place where you'll definitely want to change it (and then maybe back again after you're done).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sj View Post
    Diablo had a console version. Warcraft never has.
    Warcraft 2 on PS1 exist And Sega Saturn apparently.

And i can never see wow on a console the game is just to big at the moment and classes would be dumbed down so attacks could fit on a controller etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vayjir View Post

And i can never see wow on a console the game is just to big at the moment and classes would be dumbed down so attacks could fit on a controller etc.
    Warcraft 2 the game is not World of Warcraft the game by any means.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Uennie View Post
    Well he did say Warcraft and not World of Warcraft.

The talent trees have never been better. Why do people automatically assume that fewer talents = dumbed down? Before it was all linear, all an easy pick. Now they are all equal with regards to certain situations where they may or may not be optimal. WoW will never be on a console.

/thread
    "If I didn't have bad luck I'd have no luck at all."

The only way WoW can be released on a console and actually be playable on a controller is to reduce all the skills available to for each spec/class to about 8 maximum and i doubt this will ever happen.

Also in a game with numbers such as WoW there will always be the "best" talent that everyone takes doesn't matter if there are 3 choices or 50. By the way with the current system you switch talents more than you ever did with the 31-41-51 point talent trees.

You really think that limiting the talent tree is what will make WoW able to be played on a console? The talent tree is 0.000000001% of the game. If they completely removed the talent tree, that would barely have any impact on how the game transfers over to a console platform.

I guess I don't see your logic. Sounds like you are just reaching due to the "Diablo on console" announcement.

I want to see the gamepad for a flawless hunter rotation. It should contain about 30 buttons.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think WoW will ever port to a console based on the number of abilities in game and its age. With that said I expect Titan will be very console friendly.

You're right. I meant WoW, not the RTS. (WC2 played awful on Saturn btw, never tried it on PS1)

Quote Originally Posted by Uennie View Post
    Well he did say Warcraft and not World of Warcraft.
    I did stay Warcraft instead of WoW. I just really dislike the WoW acronym :x
    Last edited by Sj; 2013-02-21 at 02:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sj View Post
    Diablo had a console version. Warcraft never has.
    http://www.gamespot.com/warcraft-ii-the-dark-saga/

http://www.gamespot.com/warcraft-ii-...a/platform/ps/

http://www.gamespot.com/starcraft-64/

http://www.gamespot.com/starcraft-ghost/

http://www.gamespot.com/diablo/platform/ps/

All of Blizzard frenchise had their way on consoles before. It's just that Blizzard games in general don't really fit consoles. They have too many options and are too complicated for Mario/Call of Duty minds who just know auto aim and how to push 5 buttons while fighting brainless enemies.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Housemdoctor View Post
    http://www.gamespot.com/warcraft-ii-the-dark-saga/

http://www.gamespot.com/warcraft-ii-...a/platform/ps/

http://www.gamespot.com/starcraft-64/

http://www.gamespot.com/starcraft-ghost/

http://www.gamespot.com/diablo/platform/ps/

All of Blizzard frenchise had their way on consoles before. It's just that Blizzard games in general don't really fit consoles. They have too many options and are too complicated for Mario/Call of Duty minds who just know auto aim and how to push 5 buttons while fighting brainless enemies.
    Wrong Warcraft.

My problem is the current threat of dumbing down talent tree
    This is where you lost me, this thread is over for me.
    Keeping everyone happy is impossible.

no i still looked at a web site saw the cookie cutter build and went with it
    activision killed the shit out of this game
    the next game should be we the players making and huge "raid"
    and swarming the the blizzard HQ and kill every one that is from activsion and does not have the original soul of blizzard
    and i dont know why ur making a wow is dieing thread NOW ur like 2 or 3 xpacs late

Infracted. Avoid non-constructive posts like this
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2013-02-21 at 02:59 PM.

Even if they made a release on the consoles for wow it would be on a complete different system them what we have today. You prob wouldnt see much of a difference other than some people choosing the console over the pc. Blizz is not going to stray far from the core of their success. It will open additional revenue channels for them but that's it.

You can setup wow to use a xbox controller now its just not the best experience outside of grinding mobs.