Moonkin - Heroic Protectors Talent Choices While on Add Duty

Hi so ATM I have put myself on add duty because I came up with the rotation and I can call everything out as well as have a guaranteed slow with faerie swarm. I don't mind doing this but I am trying to maximize my damage now. I am doing these adds with an arcane mage and he is absolutely blowing me away on damage done to adds. My boss dps is marginally better than his but I feel like there is something I can do to improve either my boss or add dps. Currently I'm taking incarnation and nature's vigil and the burst is great but my dips the rest of the time suffers. Switching to adds sometimes it just works out that I'm just not in eclipse or my dots fall off on the boss before I reach the next eclipse or while I'm between eclipses (I try to refresh dots on boss before leaving eclipse but sometimes I just have to stay on the add.). So basically I'm barely having any cast time on boss and I'm not always able to be in eclipse for adds and dot refreshes on boss, so I was thinking what if I tried out soul of the forest for more eclipse uptime and heart of the wild out even dream of cenarius. Dream of Cenaius might be a stretch and I haven't used it on any fight yet but considering I'm at ranged, we are two healing and I seem to take more damage or simply don't get aoe heals from the healers I was thinking the self heal might be very useful not to mention with mostly only dot uptime on the bosses the increased dot damage just might be perfect for this fight.

I don't expect that a lot of moonkins are on add duty for this fight but I wonder if anyone has considered these talents or would think that these talent choices could work in this role? I know other classes might be better on add duty but I'd love to hear some feedback on this and really wouldn't mind trying something different in terms of talents for a change. Heck I remember reading that dream of cenarius actually simmed out to be the highest dps a while back... Anyway, I would love to hear some opinions on this, thanks.

(hope there aren't any typos in this, typing on my tablet and it's going incredibly slow right now so I'm not gonna reread it)

Just make sure there is a slow on the adds. Then make sure that if you're not in an eclipse, the mage knows that he needs to put up some more DPS.

You don't need anything special on the adds, just continue your single target rotation to them but don't use the non-eclipsed dot.

keep dots on the boss 100% for more starsurge procs. even if they aren't eclipsed the uptime is to facilitate procs into adds as much as it is to damage the boss. and if you have a DK you can typically get right up on their spawn point if you get pushed back a bit. between NS and AMS you can range your healers and be pretty safe

be aware of your eclipse bar - if you're not in eclipse you need help, with NG and lunar you should be fine. especially in solar make try to save a starsurge proc for the adds. if you've done elegon orbs you know exactly how all this works and when you do and don't need help on adds.

keep burst cooldowns because with a 90% damage done increase NV will do crazy amounts of healing in the last phase when its really needed.

the arcane mage will always do more damage to them because mage. when you're fighting the last boss get yourself off adds so you can tranq and do mega NV heals with your burst rotation.

edit: this is all from 10m pov, if that makes a difference
    Last edited by crunk; 2013-02-17 at 12:12 AM.

Would it ever be worth it to astral communion to make sure you are in eclipse when going to the next add?

No, just inform the other DPS killing the adds that he need to get slightly more damage done. It worked fine for us.

Deleted
    We had a warlock and me on the adds. I was standing outside the raid but within healerradius to get a headstart on the adds with slowing FF and dotting. I just got them low enough so the warlock was able to finish them off in the last 20 yards. So when the next add was in range you just slow him and double dot, turn back to boss to double dot him aswell. That way you had 6 dots ticking and would have enough SS procs to nuke adds and even get some casts off onto the boss.

Two things you need to pay attention to is your own hp and the hp of the adds you kill. Watching own hp bar is quite obvious, this should allways be done. But with you standing almost 40 yards away from the healers you get alot less aoe heals. Barkskin, nature's swiftness + healingtouch, and anti magic shell will be your lifesavers!

Second is the hp of the adds. Don't kill them to fast else you might end up with getting the debuff instead of another dps.

Deleted
    Id let the mage slow them with glyphed arcane blast, I believe thats a 50% slow aswell, that will net u a global each add!!

You really need a warlock on those adds. Curse of exhaustion is a 70% slow when glyphed.

You should stick with the standard Boomkin talents, Incarnation and NV. CDs don't carry your add dps (except at the end), getting stacks is how you deal with the adds.

Boomkins are one of the ideal classes for those adds. Your burst when you get a shooting stars proc is essential on that fight. There's a very narrow window for when and where you want those adds to die so that the right people are getting stacks at the right time. Starsurge is perfect for this.

I would not have a mage on the adds, a Warlock and you would be ideal for 10M (guessing that's what you're doing). Let the mage get insane boss dps. Not only from a DPS optimization, but a warlock and a boomkin are almost completely self sufficient on that fight from a damage mitigation stand point. You can just about always AMS (what raid doesn't have 1 dk) the stun, and warlocks can also get out of most of the stuns. So healer range isn't as big of an issue with those two classes.
    Last edited by earthwormjim; 2013-02-21 at 08:56 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hi,

im here on behalf of our moonkin, who seems to be having some difficulties on protectors hc add duty.
    Or maybe there are no problems and its just completely normal? Would be nice to get some input to see where we stand.

We had an "almost-kill" last night with 4% and some errors in the last phase. So, boss should be totally killable without the need for a new add person or whatever, but it doesn't hurt to optimize things.

Here are logs and armory links:

Armory: http://eu.battle.net/wow/de/characte...%A1th/advanced (hes mainly resto, so there might be some gems wrong in the gear he shares in both specs)
    Logs: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...?s=6326&e=6745

Add Setup is Shadow (little undergeared with 490) and Moonkin.

Stacks are 6-6-6-6 essentially (with ppl refreshing stacks by 1 as needed) - so our Moonkin/Shadow start out with 6 Stacks

--

Adds are usually fine in P1. P2 is fine too (unless someone messes up their rotation, but thats normal) until P2 -> P3 switch

Moonkin and Shadow aren't able to handle the adds in time anymore, so our Mage helps out. Meaning, we have 3 ppl on Adds for teh final burn in P3 and that hurts us quite abit.

Our Moonkins DPS it just non existant if you gaze at the logs. Don't get me wrong, hes getting the job done in P1/P2 but I think there is some room for optimization.

Rotation on Adds is, as far as I know, Moonkin faerie fire slows the first add and then the next one and the next one etc. while shadow finishes/slows the adds. Shadow cant slow early on, cause he needs to ramp up dots and stuff.
    He tries to keep up dots on the boss and the adds, so he gets starsuge proccs.

--

Whats his mistake / What is he doing wrong?

Thanks for your help guys!

He is emphasizing dots but still has only 75% uptime, should be at least 90%. He is favoring haste over crit. Crit is especially good on this fight. Mastery enchant on gloves. Gemming int on balance tier pieces. He is not switching eclipses enough.

Sounds like he needs to learn the basics. Go get him read the moonkin guide here, it should be a start for him.

I don't know too much about the 6-6-6-6 tactic but we use 3-3-3-6-6-6-9-9-9 and it sounds logistically a lot easier.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for your input! He was aiming for the 5xx haste breakpoint. But i guess its less with T14-4pc? Hes reforging as much as he can now and optimizing gems.

Yeah DoT downtime is low - will try to improve that. P2 gets kinda hectic so he doesnt really have much time to keep up dots on the boss!? Will try to optimize that

But DoT damage shouldnt be the only reason hes doing low dmg? What do you mean be "switching exclipses not fast enough?"

Rotation 6-6-6-6 is simpler / less movement than 3-3-3... we started with 3-3-3 but ended up liking 6-6-6 better

EDIT: he has finished regemming / reforging etc - check out the armory!
    Last edited by Riemu2k3; 2013-02-22 at 02:12 PM.

It's fine to stick to your current 6-6-6-6.

By switching eclipses I mean that he needs to cast more starfires/wraths/starsurges. He gains higher Nature's Grace uptime and more starfalls, both of which are very important in moonkin dps. And he should always have time to have dots on at least one target.