Deleted

Need Help - Ele Shaman Rotation

Hi All,

I'm a resto shaman who is having to DPS on farm/2 healer fights.

I have to say, im terrible. I really need help to increase my dps.

Couple of things that come to mind:

1. Do i stop casting if Lightning Bolt is under half cast and lava surge procs? (i have been)
    2. Should I cast earth shock when i have 5 or 7 stacks of lightning shield for fulmination? (I have 4 piece and have been waiting until 7)
    3. Should I go for haste or mastery? (I've been going for mastery>Haste)

Anything at all that could help me boost my DPS would be greatful.

---------- Post added 2013-02-22 at 12:02 AM ----------

Wouldn't let me add this into my original post...

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...lminion/simple

http://www.worldoflogs.com/guilds/133577/

Deleted
    1. No dont ever stop casting if your not dying in some boss mechanic.
    2. Usually no point waiting for 7, that leads to wasted LS procs.
    3. Simcraft is easy to use and see what stat is currently best.

You have some LBursts that didnt crit, but that happens with target switches and stuff.
    And anywho elemental is pretty bad atm (single target), will be buffed quite much in 5.2

What kind of DPS you do normally pull? Dont have time atm to fish it out of your logs.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Don't cancel LB for Lava Burst. Ever. Cancelling LB is the single biggest thing killing your DPS.
    Earth Shocking at 5 stacks isn't awful, but 7 is better.

Looking at your logs very briefly, you are seriously neglecting Elemental Blast. It should be cast on CD; it's third in the priority, behind keeping Flame Shock up and casting Lava Burst. Flame Shock & Searing Totem uptime are lower than they should be.

Off a quick 10k iterations sim, your secondary stats are 'balanced' fairly well -- mastery 1.46 > haste 1.39 > crit 1.35 (for reference int 3.69). Your gearing strategy is fine.

You would probably benefit from reading the stickied elem guide (link).

Deleted
    1. ABC - Always Be Casting. Dont ever cancel a cast (unless not cancelling is going to kill you or screw up CC or stuff like that).
    2. You should as a standard wait for 7 stacks of Lightning Shield before casting Earth Shock. There are sometimes where it's viable to cast at 5 stacks (if your flame shock has ~6secs left and you sit at 5 stacks), but the dps gain is really minor.
    3. Haste is in general our best stat, but once you obtain a haste proc trinket and reach around 5000-5500 haste, it changes slightly towards Mastery. If I reforge full haste with the haste proc trinket my stat priority is something like Mastery 1.4 > Crit 1.2 > Haste 1.15.

Read the Elemental guide as kaikoraimi linked, or if you prefer youtube, then I've started on what will become a series of Elemental Shaman guides. Right now it contains the basic rotation guide and the opening rotation guide. Im going to do the cooldown management guide and advanced rotation guide during this weekend. You can find them on my youtube channel (link in sig) or the mmo-thread below.
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...oe-to-Good-DPS

Cheers for the feedback guys, I know he appreciates it

Just started as a ele shaman aswell so thanks alot for the answers you guys gave here!
    Wheb im home im gonna check your video's aswell Zenvon thanks alot.

One other question.
    How good are ele shamans gonna be since mort said we are getting buffed quit abid. And i cant realy get there in the 5.2 changes page sorry

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Promithiuz View Post
    Just started as a ele shaman aswell so thanks alot for the answers you guys gave here!
    Wheb im home im gonna check your video's aswell Zenvon thanks alot.

One other question.
    How good are ele shamans gonna be since mort said we are getting buffed quit abid. And i cant realy get there in the 5.2 changes page sorry
    Short answer: we are getting an overall ~5% buff if you factor in the single target changes. Chain lightning and lava beam are getting buffed in a noticeable way (making our already good aoe even better), we are receiving a new defensive in shamanistic rage (a little more abstract to calculate the benefit in a pve setting), and we are receiving a slight improvement in our room for error on target switching with the changes to lava burst.

Whether it will be enough to put us at the middle of the pack (a good place to aim for) remains to be seen, but I have hope.

For more in-depth discussion on 5.2 changes refer to this thread:
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...Shaman-changes

I really hope that our single target brings us back to middle of the pack if not closer to the top to warrant a HC raid spot.

Warrior - Twitch - Twitter Sig by: Isilrien

Deleted
    Ty for the help on this, very much appreciated.

Only reason i thought about the stop casting part was for lava surge only, incase it procced again on the next tick of flame shock.

I had thought about the same thing Devil, but the time between procs is typically more than the cast time (or remaining cast time) for LB and even starting to cast the spell you trigger the GCD so you would be spending that 1.5 seconds doing nothing waiting to hit that button instead of finishing the remaining cast on the spell then hitting it.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    If your big on Add-ons I really recommend elementarist it's a awesome addon which will greatly help ya out on rotation!

Secondly if you have leafy casting just finish the cast or you lose dps
    On fulminations procs try to use at 7, 5 if flame shock is going to expire.
    On stats 15.50% haste gives you extra flame shock tick then yu can go full mastery

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    The stat weights depend largely on your talents and your trinkets -- you really do have to sim it for yourself to be sure. Generally speaking, crit is usually behind haste/mastery, but only just barely. You do not want to be stacking one stat to the exclusion of the others. For gemming & enchanting purposes, stick with the better of mastery & haste.
    Reforging is a little more complicated. Once I have the hit cap portion settled, if I can, I push crit towards mastery or haste (in that order, because for me mastery is slightly ahead of haste), and do not reforge mastery to haste or vice versa, as this strategy/setup has simmed the best for me.

When 5.2 goes live, haste may be less desirable, again, depending on your talents & gear. See Binkenstein's blog post for exact details.

Deleted
    I'm not great at ele on my shaman, below average
    But looking at the logs for the Imperial Vizier kill, you gained the Spiritwalker's Grace buff after Ascendance so both were up at the same time. I'm sure that if you want SWG while Asc is up then you should cast it beforehand to save a GCD for an extra lavaburst.

Quote Originally Posted by stephenc87 View Post
    I'm not great at ele on my shaman, below average
    But looking at the logs for the Imperial Vizier kill, you gained the Spiritwalker's Grace buff after Ascendance so both were up at the same time. I'm sure that if you want SWG while Asc is up then you should cast it beforehand to save a GCD for an extra lavaburst.
    SWG doesn't trigger a gcd and can even be activated mid-cast if you wanted to.

Here are some things I'm seeing:
    -Always cast elemental blast before going into Ascendence, consider the two to be linked.
    -Elemental Blast needs to be a bigger part of the rotation.
    -You need more haste. At your gear levels you need around 5800 haste for Mastery to take over.
    -Try to hit 95% Flame Shock uptime, every tick of FS is vital to dps.

Deleted
    Ty for all the help.
    I've simed myself and its shown in the best scenario I should be able to pull out 90k, which I've tried to do and do 85k (which before I was only doing 75).

I've also written out a couple of macros for the begining of the fight so I get the sequence of spells I want and less faffing about.

Ill try it all out tonite and see how it goes.

When you ran the sim, what settings did you have it on?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Namana View Post
    SWG doesn't trigger a gcd and can even be activated mid-cast if you wanted to.
    Thanks, didn't know that.

That's why you usually macro it in with Ascendance since it takes no gcd.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangar View Post
    -You need more haste. At your gear levels you need around 5800 haste for Mastery to take over.
    The point where mastery pulls ahead of haste with EB/EotE build is somewhere between 5500 and 5600 haste. At that point haste falls below crit aswell.

As a side note. For these numbers the normal sha of fear trinket is needed.
    Last edited by mmoc6353178475; 2013-02-28 at 12:20 AM.