Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SourceOfInfection View Post
    Glad I'm not the only person who sees this.
    The longer people have to complain about something the more likely blizz is to act on it (just talking about the lore side)

the only reason people complained is because thrall wanted him to become warchief and blizz had to tell us about it. If they stopped spoiling their own story and let it actually play out in game then it would be better, imo.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by theKarn View Post
    Thrall is a human wannabe.
    Exactly. Garrosh is a true orc: aggressive, brave, and daring. The type that solves problems by applying an axe to them, and succeeds despite of how insane this may seem.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not really unusual; he's been a insecure narcissist since we found him in Garadar and a reckless leader with no empathy from the moment we met him again in Warsong Hold. His refrains from coldness during early Cataclysm (the Stonetalon cameo) were really the unusual character traits, but it made sense given the context of him trying to come into his own as Warchief.
    Last edited by Xiphan; 2013-02-22 at 07:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Haven View Post
    Exactly. Garrosh is a true orc: aggressive, brave, and daring. The type that solves problems by applying an axe to them, and succeeds despite of how insane this may seem.
    Thing is though, we also have 'true orcs' like Kilrogg, Jorin, Geyah, Orgrim, they understood the nuances that Garrosh seems to ignore 'because' and we have a bunch of mag'har that act like green orcs so what a 'true orc' is, keeps getting blurred.
    Twas brillig

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ergar View Post
    One word. Sha
    watch out, that type of thinking will get you crucified, hanged, and burned at the stake.

ive been following the game somewhat consistently since MoP launched (quit mid way thru cata) and ive seen loads of people claim and say that garrosh's is just simply evil, theres no taint from demons or sha or old gods or anything, but i simply dont buy it. if he's not messing around with demons, or demon blood, and hes not tainted by some kind of sha infestation then, in my own opinion, its kind of a lame storyline.

being aggressive and being blinded by rage are two different things, you see. Neither have a rage issue. Garrosh is a Orc. Thrall is a human wannabe.

After all the things the Alliance and Horde have done to each other over the years any type of lasting peace would be nothing more than a sham and both sides know it. Thrall's vision of a united front is nothing more than a pipe dream.

but yeah it all comes down to Garrash being an Orc and not some pathetic wannabe human.
    Not really. Garrosh is constantly in a state of endless rage. He's not just "aggressive". And Thrall a pathetic wannabe human? You act as though there aren't aggressive humans which are every bit as brutal as Garrosh. Blackmoore was more "Orc" than human, by your example. Even Varian Wrynn during Wrath was aggressive and belligerent. Thrall is every bit an Orc; it doesn't work that way. I still don't get how you can't see the lesson in all of it. Garrosh is losing. He's losing his war, he's losing his faction's loyalty. What are you missing? Being an aggressive, self-entitled douchebag will only get you and everything you care about destroyed. And if you care about nothing you're already dead.
    Garrosh is a dumb, raging piece of shit. Thrall is a wise and honourable leader. Both are Orcs, and only in Blizzard's franchise is an orc ever capable of being the latter.

---------- Post added 2013-02-22 at 07:31 AM ----------

He doesn't succeed. Why do people think this? He hasn't succeeded in anything... unless his mission was to destroy the Horde and really really piss off the Alliance to the point where only utter annihilation is an acceptable term of surrender. Other leaders are aggressive, brave and daring, but they also know diplomacy. Garrosh is a thug with an axe, the kind that meets his end with his head being removed from his body by someone stronger, of which there are many, hence his desperation in acquiring things like weaponised Sha and MOgu tech.
    Last edited by Justignoreme; 2013-02-22 at 07:33 AM.

Why?
    Because the plot demands it.
    Slaying 8bit dragons with 6 pixel long swords since 1987.

Quote Originally Posted by Xiphan View Post
    It's not really unusual; he's been a insecure narcissist since we found him in Garadar and a reckless leader with no empathy from the moment we met him again in Warsong Hold. His refrains from coldness during early Cataclysm (the Stonetalon cameo) were really the unusual character traits, but it made sense given the context of him trying to come into his own as Warchief.
    He was actually pretty reasonable, if still a huge ass, in the Shattering and the Heart of War short story.

Plus Blizz kept telling us in blue posts he'd get more understandable / better.
    Twas brillig

10+ Year Old Account
    Why can't someone be aggressive, brave, and daring in diplomacy? Why's it gotta be an axe?

Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Why can't someone be aggressive, brave, and daring in diplomacy?
    Because Blizz dun goofed.

They had Thrall point to Garrosh repeatedly and go 'this is an orcs orcs orc!' in their attempt to cater to people who wanted WC2 type stuff only they utterly failed to provide any of the -intelligence- the Horde had in WC2, the brutal cunning that made Orgrim popular.

Only they just made Garrosh -worse- in their attempts to make him better and so they finally hashed it and decided to off him.
    Twas brillig

Why can't someone be aggressive, brave, and daring in diplomacy? Why's it gotta be an axe?
    I don't know. Tyrande can't be aggressive, brave, and daring without being stupid and coming off as a whiny cow. Blizz isn't very good at this.

Deleted
    Which true orc are you talking about, the shamanistic race before or the "fucking shit up" race after the burning legion messed with them?

Deleted
    its because he is bankable. just like illidan, kaeltas, LK and many others, blizz kills them for money. the lore is driven solely by commercial reasons since wow took over warcraft 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Skytotem View Post
    only they utterly failed to provide any of the -intelligence- the Horde had in WC2, the brutal cunning that made Orgrim popular.
    People will try to point to the "brilliance" of Garrosh's feign at Theramore. I don't get how a simplistic plan can be considered brilliant when it succeeds by making the Alliance dumber than cut hair for it to work. It's like taping the bullseye of a target over the barrel of a rifle and being like "WOW UR A GREAT SHOT, U DIDN'T MISS THE BULLSEYE AT ALL"

Quote Originally Posted by Skytotem View Post
    Thing is though, we also have 'true orcs' like Kilrogg, Jorin, Geyah, Orgrim, they understood the nuances that Garrosh seems to ignore 'because' and we have a bunch of mag'har that act like green orcs so what a 'true orc' is, keeps getting blurred.
    Kilrogg and Geyah were/are old, and with age comes passivity. Physical prowess begin to wane and a value on knowledge is placed higher on desirable traits. Jorin is just blah. Orgrim is a grand example of an orc. If garrosh had orgrim as a mentor instead of thrall he would have became a grand warchief. Thrall is Orgrim's greatest mistake.
    Last edited by theKarn; 2013-02-22 at 07:51 AM.

So true, I'm inserting it in my sig.
    That's ironic, because it's absolutely wrong.

His development and the basis of his personality are actually pretty high quality. He's a complicated person. If you only focus on what he does instead of why then absolutely he looks badly made, but that's like saying because something's painted green that it's green throughout.

I'm willing to bet that a character you would make wouldn't even be half as good as Garrosh.

Kilrogg and Geyah were/are old, and with age comes passivity. Physical prowess begin to wane and a value on knowledge is placed higher on desirable traits. Jorin is just blah. Orgrim is a grand example of an orc. If garrosh had orgrim as a mentor instead of thrall he would have became a grand warchief. Thrall is Orgrim's greatest mistake.
    I hate to pull this one, but I don't think you have any idea of what you're talking about.

Thrall, during his time, was an excellent Warchief. He had a heavy fist when he deemed it necessary, but didn't rule with brutality. While he was by no means a perfect Warchief, he did a lot better than others. Orgrim, though he was a very respectable example of an orc, led his people to imprisonment. He was a great Orc but really, it's a very visible pattern... Warchiefs who were aggressive enough to start a war have ultimately led the Orcs on a bad path. After the second war, Orgrim became a lot more like Thrall than I think you'd find comfortable, and that's really why he's a great Orc... because he was able to get past the idea of might = right and realize that fighting isn't everything. It creates a more complex character and a more complex race.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Constellation View Post
    People will try to point to the "brilliance" of Garrosh's feign at Theramore. I don't get how a simplistic plan can be considered brilliant when it succeeds by making the Alliance dumber than cut hair for it to work. It's like taping the bullseye of a target over the barrel of a rifle and being like "WOW UR A GREAT SHOT, U DIDN'T MISS THE BULLSEYE AT ALL"
    I especially like how Garrosh sent Songweaver into Theramore to tear down a gate. It was completely pointless. What if Songweaver actually succeeded in his mission? "Woops, we accidentally captured Theramore with our army. Here you go Alliance, you can have it back. I was just kidding. I left a big box with an apology gift. I know it's ticking, but don't open it until after we leave."

Kilrogg and Geyah were/are old, and with age comes passivity. Physical prowess begin to wane and a value on knowledge is placed higher on desirable traits. Jorin is just blah. Orgrim is a grand example of an orc. If garash had orgrim as a mentor instead of thrall he would have became a grand warchief. Thrall is Orgrim's greatest mistake.
    We have young examples like Gorgonna and Warlord Krogg and Zaela too.

---------- Post added 2013-02-22 at 01:54 AM ----------

I especially like how Garrosh sent Songweaver into Theramore to tear down a gate. It was completely pointless. What if Songweaver actually succeeded in his mission? "Woops, we accidentally captured Theramore with our army. Here you go Alliance, you can have it back. I was just kidding. I left a big box with an apology gift. I know it's ticking, but don't open it until after we leave."
    Wow you're missing the point, it was a win win scenario.

They take the gate, they get a nice new port on Kalimdor (plus they have the bomb for a DIFFERENT target since it isn't used there) cause they took Theramoore , what's more the place is pretty damn defensible which is why taking the gate was such a long shot anyway, but it made the feint look convincing. Like "AHA! That was their plan all along! to weaken the gate!"

If they -don't - take the gate then the bomb drops and they wipe out the biggest port on Kailimdor held by the Alliance at minimal cost.
    Twas brillig

That probably was how it was originally written but Metzen figured that might've been just too stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Constellation View Post
    I'm not sure I follow, the Alliance had no reason to think Garrosh had a manabomb or anything like the Stonetalon bomb since those take so long to make / deploy, sending extra forces there to keep him from taking it was a reasonable decision from what I know, is something else revealed in the book?
    Twas brillig