Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Gamespy shutting down

http://au.pc.gamespy.com/articles/122/1227460p1.html

Amazing, never realized they were in trouble, I remember when they started.
    iMac
    2012-03-05 : The day SWTOR jumped the shark
    Mages are basically "warlocks for girls" - Kerrath

Deleted
    I had no idea gamespy still existed to be honest.

They weren't in trouble. 1up is shutting down and IGN is losing some people. I preferred to get my industry news from IGN because they had the most resources, but I liked the reviews on gamespy and 1up a lot more.

This is a great day indeed then! Gamespy really sucks. Next is Windows Live please

I used to use Gamespy to play Counterstrike Beta 5

wow gamespy.

HATED IT FOR YEARS!

still memories of the old days of the internet!

Quote Originally Posted by Vayjir View Post
    This. On top of that I just remember that Gamespy was nothing more than a nuisance when you installed old games.

Quote Originally Posted by wariofan1 View Post
    This. On top of that I just remember that Gamespy was nothing more than a nuisance when you installed old games.
    understatement haha, gampespy was beyond aggravating and seemed to work its way into freaking everything

Deleted
    I remember when I was younger that I thought Gamespy was Spyware >.>

But yeah didn't know they still existed, memories

Deleted
    Gamespy was always a huge pain in the ass. Forcing you to signup with them in order to play co-op with friends? Glad they're going tbh.

I used to play some Counterstrike and C&C: Renegade on Gamespy when I was young. Many current C&C games still used Gamespy, but I was not a fan of their newer system. With them gone, I hope for a better connection with future C&C games.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vayjir View Post
    Same, and never liked them in the first place.

"from where I'm sitting we did an awesome job?"

Hehe...
    Last edited by SirRobin; 2013-02-22 at 03:21 PM.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

What a GREAT DAY in gaming news history!

I know most of you are jits and weren't around in the old days, but gamespy took over MPlayer, one of THE best social platforms for games back then such as Hexen, Quake, Halflife, etc... I loved MPlayer and they took it away from me and tried to shove some crap called gamespy down my throat, i reluctantly denied and went to use zone.com for a while before finding out about The All-Seeing Eye, which Yahoo! eventually took over and cluttered with ads.

Everyone wants my money. F OFF

Also, F YOU Ziff Davis. Glad you're failing!!!

I'm sad that people are losing their jobs, but I'd be lying if I said I was sad to see the service itself go. I've been avoiding that piece of crap like the plague.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    GameSpy was relevant quite a few years ago. Lately they've been invisible and I was quite surprised when I saw them reviewing Aliens: Colonal Marines.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zogarth View Post
    This is a great day indeed then! Gamespy really sucks. Next is Windows Live please
    Well Windows live messenger has gone now, You can no longer update it, because if you do, it turns into Skype:P And Their Hotmail service is also changing to Outlook

So is 1up.com, so is UGO, and IGN is getting hit by big layoffs. Sad to see all around, but I quite liked GameSpy since they focused more on PC news : (

And FYI this is the media side of GameSpy, not the tech side. All the writers/editors/etc. are either losing their jobs or moving to IGN. The tech side, to my knowledge, is mostly untouched by this.

So I guess this means the servers are going down too?
    Damn, I still have games I play that use GameSpy.
    Last edited by Libram; 2013-02-22 at 05:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Libram View Post
    So I guess this means the servers are going down too?
    Shit, I still have games I play that use GameSpy.
    Based on what I've heard from people who have worked there (only snippets) and friends who know others who work there, it seems to be primarily aimed at their editorial staff. The tech side of GameSpy should continue as usual (at least from the consumer PoV).

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusher View Post
    Based on what I've heard from people who have worked there (only snippets) and friends who know others who work there, it seems to be primarily aimed at their editorial staff. The tech side of GameSpy should continue as usual (at least from the consumer PoV).
    Oh good! I feel a little better now.