Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

The state of rift

Hey guys, just wondering what rift is like right now. I'm looking at bailing from wow, and I'm wondering if the oceanic Population on rift is good. Is there a big server like frostmourne or blackrock?

Lastly, what are some good resources for a new player who wants to raid? Thanks guys!
    Hatred the Fearless.

Deleted
    The game is fine at the moment, loads to do, people are just getting a bit bored, but it should get better a few patches in. before you get the game, you should see if you like the feel of it first here is the link for the free trial up to level 20, this is my ascend a friend invite, so if you do decide you like it, when you sub you get some free lewt

It's a long way to raiding, if you are looking for guides and such, the official rift forums are a good place to start. Hope you have a nice time in Telara
    Last edited by Azuri; 2013-02-14 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Removed RAF link

Looks like Nykolas RAF link was removed by mods - you can go find it at the end of the RAF Megathread:

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ead?p=20214231

Mine isn't there (at least, not anytime recently), so this is just a helpful pointer, not a self-promotion!

The game is great, the servers are packed. Best advice if you want to raid is level level level. Before 50 the game may seem dead though because most people are 50+ and in the new zones, so don't let it discourage you.

For getting there quickly, you have several options and all are viable. I and most players will recommend mixing it up a bit.

-Questing - you know, the good old generic questing
    -IA - Once level 10 you can try this, it is like questing on steroids. You are placed in a raid group, given a quest and teleported near it's objective. Each time you or someone in the completes an objective, you get XP. When the quest is completed it is automatically "turned in," you receive rewards and are granted a new quest. If it is far away you'll get the option to teleport. Hands down the fastest way to level, but gets old FAST.
    -Dungeons - It is completely possible to level exclusively with dungeon running. Each dungeon will last you 5-10 levels or so. If you can find a good static group or are a tank this can be a great way to level. It is how my main leveled.
    -PvP - Yes, it is completely viable to level exclusively through PvP Warfronts(BGs)

Once you are 50 you have a couple option. You can go straight to the new area or check out Ember Isle. Ember Isle was added later in vanilla Rift as a zone for 50s. You could get a jump start on SL leveling there if you wanted, or head straight to SL.

In SL, I highly recommend quest leveling. Almost noone does IA anymore there and the regular quest hub idea is kinda gone. You'll pick up some quests in the "hubs" but the rest you'll find while out completing those and you'' get "Carnage Quests" when you kill certain mobs. The rep you get is good, you'll need it later, especially if you plan on raiding, so do every quest you can find. Keep running dungeons if you want, still great XP. You'll also see onslaughts and Hunt Rifts now. If you see a group around you doing them, join up, help out, get rewards and XP. Great XP.

Check the stickies on this forum, there is a great quickstart guide that will further explain how some things work in Rift and once you are 60 and getting ready to start getting ready to raid check out my Sticky for what to do at 60.

Quote Originally Posted by Voltage View Post
    Hey guys, just wondering what rift is like right now. I'm looking at bailing from wow, and I'm wondering if the oceanic Population on rift is good. Is there a big server like frostmourne or blackrock?

Lastly, what are some good resources for a new player who wants to raid? Thanks guys!
    If you are going to play a subscription game, then rift is, arguably, the one worth playing.

Getting bored in this game is a challenge.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Deleted
    Read this in a thread that just got closed and it made me giggle:

there are more people dueling in Durotar atm than the entire EU-Rift playerbase.

Quote Originally Posted by Diocassius View Post
    /face palm

I want to forget I ever read that, let alone reread it.

It's like those people who think an mmo is "dead" if "only" half a million people play.

Quote Originally Posted by Diocassius View Post

It made me giggle too. It's funny how clueless some people are and think that the game they play is the only one worth playing. Good thing we don't pay much attention to those types or at least I don't.

OT I found the lower leveling areas to be scarce of people from time to time but the max level zones and Tempest Bay are packed regardless of time of day. Zone events brings the players out by the hundreds.

Quote Originally Posted by hk-51 View Post
    /face palm

I want to forget I ever read that, let alone reread it.

It's like those people who think an mmo is "dead" if "only" half a million people play.
    Their loss ^^
    Also, subscriptions (however they define it) =/= actual players.

Seriously though, why are people so interested in sub/player numbers?

I think Rift is the greatest MMO on the market, OP. It's really worth it, imo.

Rift is great. I got rid of my PC for a Mac so I had to quit. I'd be playing that over WoW right now if they put out a Mac client. It's essentially WoW with just a refreshing graphics update and new lore. WoW is just beating a dead horse at this point. I find myself playing less than 5hrs a week now.

Also, sub numbers don't mean anything as long as the game is profitable. So if it maintains 500k subs, it'll be fine. EQ1 was the best MMO I ever played and it only had 500k at it's peak. To be perfectly honest, having an MMO with such a large playerbase is good for that company, but not good for players in my opinion. Having an MMO that knows it's niche playerbase and making updates for those 500k people is much better in my eyes than developers throwing shit at the wall hoping anything will stick. Plus you get split dev time between so many features, when each players probably only participates in 1 or 2 areas of the game.
    Last edited by ro9ue; 2013-02-14 at 11:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Klog View Post
    Rift is great. I got rid of my PC for a Mac so I had to quit. I'd be playing that over WoW right now if they put out a Mac client. It's essentially WoW with just a refreshing graphics update and new lore. WoW is just beating a dead horse at this point. I find myself playing less than 5hrs a week now.

Also, sub numbers don't mean anything as long as the game is profitable. So if it maintains 500k subs, it'll be fine. EQ1 was the best MMO I ever played and it only had 500k at it's peak. To be perfectly honest, having an MMO with such a large playerbase is good for that company, but not good for players in my opinion. Having an MMO that knows it's niche playerbase and making updates for those 500k people is much better in my eyes than developers throwing shit at the wall hoping anything will stick. Plus you get split dev time between so many features, when each players probably only participates in 1 or 2 areas of the game.
    When did Rift ever say they had 500k subs I'm not bashing I'm a Rift player never heard them say there sub amounts.

I recently started Rift up again, rerolled new characters and everything (to really get a feel for the new souls from lvl 1 and on) and I must say, it's been a lot of fun. Hell, the only reason I stopped playing previously was that there was SO MUCH to do (Planar Attunement "Alternate Advancement" system alone was something I could have, and will now spend plenty of time on).

Someone earlier in the thread made a statement along the lines of "if there's a subscription MMO out there that's worth it, this is it" and I couldn't agree more.

For the record, I'm still playing WoW 2 nights a week for raiding, and still enjoying at least that aspect of WoW, so I'm not just blizzard hating, just saying yeah, go for it, play Rift. It's fun

I just started playing Rift full time on the 9th (I played off and on since beta) threw in the towel with wow for now, been playing since classic and I needed a change. So far Rift is amazing, the 1-50 content was okay, kinda boring at times but still okay. Now the SL content(level 50-60) is freaking amazing, the graphic are insanely good imo and the game play/question is great.

I'm going to pound out end game content and see how it is, I hope it is as good as I think.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Maythael View Post
    Seriously though, why are people so interested in sub/player numbers?
    Whilst some people are overly obsessed with subs / population, especially those who think an MMO needs the same number of subs as WoW to be considered 'not dying', there comes a point that low numbers affect people's playing experience.

So in regard to Rift for example, I used to play on a PvP server (EU english group), the other day I logged into the only remaining PvP server, Bloodiron, there were 6 level 60s on the defiant side... So if I ever had any thoughts of going back to Rift, I would not realistically be able to get a satisfying game experience on Bloodiron, which would then either force me to play on a PvE server and when I say a PvE server, I obviously mean Icewatch as the other two are very low pop or try playing with lag on Seastone in the US, none of which are appealing.

People also become interested in sub numbers because of what they see in game, people don't bother with sub numbers if cities are full, queues are popping quickly, guild recruitment is fine, etc, but when things start heading south it becomes an issue, when a game loses over half the servers and in the case of the English EU group is basically down to a singel healthy server, of course subs / population is going to become an issue.
    Last edited by mmoc1f2ad58cb4; 2013-02-15 at 01:22 AM.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zurgs View Post
    Whilst some people are overly obsessed with subs / population, especially those who think an MMO needs the same number of subs as WoW to be considered 'not dying', there comes a point that low numbers affect people's playing experience.

So in regard to Rift for example, I used to play on a PvP server (EU english group), the other day I logged into the only remaining PvP server, Bloodiron, there were 6 level 60s on the defiant side... So if I ever had any thoughts of going back to Rift, I would not realistically be able to get a satisfying game experience on Bloodiron, which would then either force me to play on a PvE server and when I say a PvE server, I obviously mean Icewatch as the other two are very low pop or try playing with lag on Seastone in the US, none of which are appealing.
    PvP servers don't really exist because the player base didn't want them to. This game has people who are very intent on progressing in PvE and don't want to fool with world PvP nonsense. After so many years on a PvP server in WoW, I have this same mentality.
    BAD WOLF

If you are going to play a subscription game, then rift is, arguably, the one worth playing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Noriks View Post
    It made me giggle too. It's funny how clueless some people are and think that the game they play is the only one worth playing. Good thing we don't pay much attention to those types or at least I don't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nykolas View Post
    The game is fine at the moment, loads to do, people are just getting a bit bored, but it should get better a few patches in.
    Getting bored in this game is a challenge.
    Opinions vary as you can plainly see here. For my own two cents, Rift is doing well for itself. I recently heard Fencers say that Rift is WoW for people who don't like WoW and I'd have to agree. If you like the overall structure of WoW then Rift can be a good escape. If you want something totally different then Rift won't fill that desire.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinoashi View Post
    He doesn't need a source to know that he pretty much hit the nail on the head.
    “What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof.” - Christopher Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by Whitepepper View Post
    Opinions vary as you can plainly see here. For my own two cents, Rift is doing well for itself. I recently heard Fencers say that Rift is WoW for people who don't like WoW and I'd have to agree. If you like the overall structure of WoW then Rift can be a good escape. If you want something totally different then Rift won't fill that desire.
    If you liked BC, Rift is basically everything that you liked, and improved upon quite dearly.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

PvP endgame grind is hell. I am enjoying myself, though.

10+ Year Old Account
    if you think pvp in wow is bad,then pvp in rift is hell lol.

Quote Originally Posted by meathead View Post
    if you think pvp in wow is bad,then pvp in rift is hell lol.
    EQ MMOs don't tend to translate to good pvp. Almost ever.
    It's a problem with the genre rather than a specific game.