Lvl restriction on buying gear

I know this mechanic has been around for a while (at least since wrath when i started playing) but I've never really understood the purpose of it. Currently I'm lvling a rogue mostly through pvp and she is currently 56 with 3400 honor. It would be awesome if I could buy some lvl 90 pvp gear with it instead of running around with 4000 honor cap for 30+ lvl's. What's so bad about a lower lvl character having lvl 90 gear chilling in their bank waiting for them to ding? I really just don't see the purpose :/

10+ Year Old Account
    it's a pointless limitation, I think. It's not like you can wear it yet anyway!

I have to agree with you. Since I often level tanks/heals by running dungeons I can end up JP capped before I hit 90. I would love if I could buy the gear and just let it sit in my bank. Instead I turn it to honor so I can buy gear for transmog. While I like having transmog gear, I would rather have gear for when I hit 90.

10+ Year Old Account
    If the gear has a gold value to vendors that could be a reason. Such high level gear would vendor for a lot more gold than anything else at low levels. People would low level pvp to sell the gear for coin. With most server economies messed up I don't know why Blizz worries about small amounts like 30g for a piece of armor but they do. If they could scale how much it vendors for based on character level that might be a way around this.

Quote Originally Posted by PennyRust View Post
    If the gear has a gold value to vendors that could be a reason. Such high level gear would vendor for a lot more gold than anything else at low levels. People would low level pvp to sell the gear for coin. With most server economies messed up I don't know why Blizz worries about small amounts like 30g for a piece of armor but they do. If they could scale how much it vendors for based on character level that might be a way around this.
    I can see this being a reason in the past but yeah, as you said it's such a trivial amount of gold. You'd get the same amount if not more from doing 1-2 dailies and save a large amount of time over amassing thousands of honor/justice on a lowbie.

Quote Originally Posted by PennyRust View Post
    And you're going to get a realistic amount of JP to buy 1000-2000 point items sub level 85 how? And at 85 vendoring epics is not the fastest way to make gold.

It's not because of vendoring, it's because it's another way to artificially delay gearing at max level, nothing more.

Quote Originally Posted by hyphnos View Post
    And you're going to get a realistic amount of JP to buy 1000-2000 point items sub level 85 how? And at 85 vendoring epics is not the fastest way to make gold.

It's not because of vendoring, it's because it's another way to artificially delay gearing at max level, nothing more.

Exactly this, gold can be passed around no problem between chars and its far from wrong to do so (assuming it was gained legit). However over the course of levelling a toon, you could quite easily acquire 3-4 pieces of gear if not more ready to start at level cap. However this now only applies to PvP gear really, which alot of things can be bought off AH. PvE gear all requires rep now which blocks even further.

It personally bugged me before after i would have one toon at max level, after 3-4 it was just, bah . But it is to stop the instant gearing once 90 is hit and prolong the game, there was ways you could gear extremely fast before and they have put a stop to almost all (excluding dropping large amounts of gold on BoE's) so i don't think we will see this change anytime soon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hyphnos View Post

Given how Blizzard gates new content you are probably right.

I was just presenting an idea. Another theory I had was that a lower level player might have been looking at the max level gear and purchased it by mistake, when they would have rather used the honor for something else, so Blizz made it so you couldn't buy the gear by accident while not being able to use it. This topic would probably make a good question for Blizz on twitter.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyro1990 View Post
    I know this mechanic has been around for a while (at least since wrath when i started playing) but I've never really understood the purpose of it. Currently I'm lvling a rogue mostly through pvp and she is currently 56 with 3400 honor. It would be awesome if I could buy some lvl 90 pvp gear with it instead of running around with 4000 honor cap for 30+ lvl's. What's so bad about a lower lvl character having lvl 90 gear chilling in their bank waiting for them to ding? I really just don't see the purpose :/
    This goes back to TBC, but the issue is the same as what you describe.

I had a guildie who dinged 70 on an alt. Literally less than 60 seconds after he dinged, he was in full Honor gear, gemmed and enchanted. With the Honor cap back then (75k IIRC) you could buy ~2 pieces of armor or one weapon with that amount of Honor, but he had just bougt lvl70 gear while he levelled and swapped gear immediately on ding.

Back then, PvP gear was actually quite viable in Raids.. Some raids (SWP and ZA atleast) even dropped PvP gear.

Tell me, how is it even remotely fair, that you can be end-game (PvE or PvP) geared, immediately upon ding..
    Luckily it was chaged when WotLk was released, so you coldn't do it anymore..
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK View Post
    Tell me, how is it even remotely fair, that you can be end-game (PvE or PvP) geared, immediately upon ding..
    Luckily it was chaged when WotLk was released, so you coldn't do it anymore..
    It's fair because anyone could do it if it was removed. It's not like only my character would be able to get some end game pvp gear while lvling up, everyone would.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's annoying when the honor cap is 4k, and your level whatever set costs 6k.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sealbinder View Post
    I have to agree with you. Since I often level tanks/heals by running dungeons I can end up JP capped before I hit 90. I would love if I could buy the gear and just let it sit in my bank. Instead I turn it to honor so I can buy gear for transmog. While I like having transmog gear, I would rather have gear for when I hit 90.
    I've leveled many toons from 1 to 85 before purely on dungeons and never ran into the justice cap. Never even got close. Even a toon without any heirlooms or other leveling bonuses aside from the guild +10% exp. How the heck do you run into the justice cap?
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Sealbinder View Post
    What am I missing? Two questions.

I thought transmog gear changes the appearance of an item? I just got back into the game and I have no clue what it does.

And two...how do you get those justice points?! I'm a 44 monk iirc and all I get is gold and a satchel for completing a random dungeon
    Quote Originally Posted by xannax2780 View Post
    It's called balancing.
    Maybe you should try balancing the large cup of QQ in your left hand with a big mug of STFU in your right.
    Just sayn'

You can't get a significant number of JP by leveling through dungeons, not till you start Cataclysm instances anyway. I'm not sure whether leveling 80-85 in instances would cap you. It might, if you're not rested, and not using XP buffs.

So I start getting these points at 80 for dungeons or what?
    It's called balancing.
    Maybe you should try balancing the large cup of QQ in your left hand with a big mug of STFU in your right.
    Just sayn'

Quote Originally Posted by calinass View Post
    So I start getting these points at 80 for dungeons or what?
    Dungeons reward JP starting as early as level 70, but only very small amounts, as in, 10-20 JP here and there.

Once you get to Cataclysm 5-mans, however, boss kills provide significant numbers of JP in addition to the random instance JP reward. You can get a few hundred JP for doing normal mode Halls of Origination.

I'm not really sure how you would go about farming JP at level 90, because there's not much of anything other than heirlooms that's worth buying with JP at level 90, right now. But probably the best thing would be either scenarios (the reward bags have JP in them) or soloing whatever normal Cataclysm 5-mans you can do quickly.

Are cataclysm dungeons as hard as they were when cats was released? And what are scenarios? I've seen those. Haha shit man they added so much since I've left 3 weeks into cata

---------- Post added 2013-02-23 at 11:21 AM ----------

Bump if someone can answer ~~
    It's called balancing.
    Just sayn'