Page 8 of 28 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Yig View Post
    Every single race in this game is a JOKE race, and started out as nothing but an over the top drawing with a silly over the top voice actor talking in a funny voice. Warcraft has always been that way, since the first game. The serious tone of the lore and the storyline has always existed in a bubble of it's own, in a juxtaposition with the 4th wall breaking humor of Warcraft.

But calling the Pandaren a "joke race" while ignoring every race in this game was designed as a humorous spoof is just tunnel vision. Look at the voice acting for every race in this game in WC1-3.
    You know what I mean by "JOKE". Don't twist my words.

I do not have tunnel vision, but you might have that, given how biased and overly defensive you are. Why is it so hard for you to accept that I find pandas "way more ridiculous" than any other race? You like them and think they are OK and that is fine by me.

They WERE an April fools joke, no other race was. Many people did not expect to ever see a joke race in the actual game as a playable race. Get over it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Malenurse View Post
    Well it could make it more interesting atleast. Japan is propably the greatest nation on earth. They even have an Emperor.
    I agree, though for entirely different reasons. Japanese relations with both South Korea and China can be (extremely charitably) described as "in the shitter," to put it mildly beyond words. If there were a race that the pandaren really, really did not get along with themed off of feudal Japan (perhaps even with some lore nods to the Sengoku era) it could have helped add even more depth to Pandaria lore.

As to your opening question, Malenurse, I love the change of pace from Generally-European People Killing Each Other Co-Starring Every Other Fantasy Counterpart Culture. The architecture is gorgeous, the landscapes are breathtaking, and the fact that I can finally run around with a guandao (the sort of polearm immortalized through depictions of Guan Yu with the Blue Dragon) makes what problems I do have with MoP (namely, pandaren can't be druids or DKs, grummle aren't likely to ever be playable, and female pandaren got a hard case of the sameface) totally worth it.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

This just isn't true and sounds like rose tinted glasses. Every expansion brings with it a few new assets which are then reused to the point of being nauseating if you're going to let it get to you. Blizzard actually went the extra mile, above and beyond, in MOP. With their high resolution terrain textures and actual modelling in their boulders and mountains with so many unique tree models in Krasarang and Jade Forest it's astonishing to me, all the while you're ignoring how far out their way they went in this regard because of the style of the buildings people live in.
    High resolution terrain texture =/= diversity

We are talking about culture, races, man-made things, being too Asian.

I agree that nature in MOP is fine, I loved Krasarang. That is beside the point.

---------- Post added 2013-02-23 at 03:40 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Constellation View Post
    okay so, once more, what diversity? Horde territory in Outland was either Orcish or Blood Elf. Most Alliance territory in Outland was Draenei or Human. The only diversity that existed was projected Horde/Alliance architecture. Pandaria was isolated. Beyond the wall you see Mantid and Yaungol architecture at any rate and it's not "Asian"
    It's true, perhaps not "everything" is Asian in the strict sense of the word, but "almost everything" is Asian.

Quote Originally Posted by killidan View Post
    You know what I mean by "JOKE". Don't twist my words.

I do not have tunnel vision, but you might have that, given how biased and overly defensive you are. Why is it so hard for you to accept that I find pandas "way more ridiculous" than any other race? You like them and think they are OK and that is fine by me.

They WERE an April fools joke, no other race was. Many people did not expect to ever see a joke race in the actual game as a playable race. Get over it.
    I'm not twisting your words, I just don't think you recognize that every race in this game was made to be a goofy spoof of the concept they were inspired by. Samwise was no more or less silly about making a panda samurai than he was with drawing a beefcake orc in a loin cloth who said funny phrases like "Zug-Zug" from an obscure old cave man B movie starring an ex Beatle named Ringo Star. They are all silly jokes and pop culture spoofs on fantasy tropes to one degree or another.

You have tunnel vision, or you're just blind to how goofy Warcraft is in the first place. They were used as an April Fool's joke after they had already existed for years as something Samwise just drew for the fuck of it based on his nick name in 1999. They are no more goofy or a joke than Usagi Yojimbo is.

Get over it? lol. You're the one who has to get over it, you lost, not me.

The Pandaren, despite what people like you claimed could be or would be done, were realized as a fully fleshed out race in this game, just as I always said they would be, and they were given a legitimate status with real lore with serious tones to it, unlike what people like you said could be done for the last 8 years.

So again, you get over it. You can refuse to accept that the Shado Pan are anything but goofy, and you might like to pretend that is just Blizzard trying too hard to make them seem not goofy, but you have to have tunnel vision to ignore how goofy every other race in this game is design wise.

There are two WOW worlds, the serious edgy version you see in the cinematics and in the paintings of Wei Wang and Glen Rayne, and then there is the silly and goofy world of WOW that has been there since Warcraft 1. Warcraft probably never would have been taken seriously as a game by it's own right if it wasn't for them distinguishing themselves so much from Warhammer by giving Warcraft such silly voice acting and visual designs that look like Warhammer in a Disney Movie.

Pandaren are no more or less goofy than dwarves and their bravado and drinking and eating, or gnomes and their explosives and squeaky voices, or elves with their massive floppy ears, or orcs with their B movie cave man dialog or their fur underpants and wolves who fart foul smelling gas etc.

You either have tunnel vision, or you're just blind to this fact.
    If you like my draw-rings. http://yig.deviantart.com/
    If you can't find them for some reason beyond that page. http://yig.deviantart.com/gallery/
    WOW screenshot and concept art gallery http://smg.photobucket.com/user/evilknick/library/WoW

I'm not twisting your words, I just don't think you recognize that every race in this game was made to be a goofy spoof of the concept they were inspired by. Samwise was no more or less silly about making a panda samurai than he was with drawing a beefcake orc in a loin cloth who said funny phrases like "Zug-Zug" from an obscure old cave man B movie starring an ex Beatle named Ringo Star. They are all silly jokes and pop culture spoofs on fantasy tropes to one degree or another.

You have tunnel vision, or you're just blind to how goofy Warcraft is in the first place. They were used as an April Fool's joke after they had already existed for years as something Samwise just drew for the fuck of it based on his nick name in 1999. They are no more goofy or a joke than Usagi Yojimbo is.

The Pandaren, despite what people like you claimed could be or would be done, were realized as a fully fleshed out race in this game, just as I always said they would be, and they were given a legitimate status with real lore with serious tones to it, unlike what people like you said could be done for the last 8 years.

So again, you get over it. You can refuse to accept that the Shado Pan are anything but goofy, and you might like to pretend that is just Blizzard trying too hard to make them seem not goofy, but you have to have tunnel vision to ignore how goofy every other race in this game is design wise.

There are two WOW worlds, the serious edgy version you see in the cinematics and in the paintings of Wei Wang and Glen Rayne, and then there is the silly and goofy world of WOW that has been there since Warcraft 1. Warcraft probably never would have been taken seriously as a game by it's own right if it wasn't for them distinguishing themselves so much from Warhammer by giving Warcraft such silly voice acting and visual designs that look like Warhammer in a Disney Movie.

Pandaren are no more or less goofy than dwarves and their bravado and drinking and eating, or gnomes and their explosives and squeaky voices, or elves with their massive floppy ears, or orcs with their B movie cave man dialog or their fur underpants and wolves who fart foul smelling gas etc.

It's funny that you pointed out he lost, to make up for you losing. Some people are incredibly.. transparent.

Also, do you have any proof of this? Or are you just pulling shit out of your ass?

High resolution terrain texture =/= diversity

We are talking about culture, races, man-made things, being too Asian.

I agree that nature in MOP is fine, I loved Krasarang. That is beside the point.

---------- Post added 2013-02-23 at 03:40 AM ----------

It's true, perhaps not "everything" is Asian in the strict sense of the word, but "almost everything" is Asian.
    No, because Blizzard didn't use too much Asian architecture because they were cutting corners, they used it because it makes sense to the lore and the area, all the while they went above and beyond the call of duty in the detail they put into those buildings as well as the terrain model wise and texture wise.

And Krasarang looks like an Asian forest right out of Vietnam or Cambodia, so I guess Asian landscapes are fine with you, but buildings aren't,... whatever.

There is no more of a problem with reusing assets in Pandaria than there was in Outland or Northrend. You won't find a single area in this game with unique architecture and buildings really other than the capitol cities, because it's all reused everywhere. People who think it's more of a problem in MOP just don't like the design itself, which must be why they can ignore the same Alliance strongholds and Draenei ruins you saw constantly reused in Northrend and Outland.

---------- Post added 2013-02-22 at 09:52 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Chry View Post
    It's funny that you pointed out he lost, to make up for you losing. Some people are incredibly.. transparent.
    How did I lose? The Pandaren were given serious lore, with thousands of years of history. I don't lose because you decide to close your eyes and ears and pretend it's not there.

You seem to do that really well, by the way.
    If you like my draw-rings. http://yig.deviantart.com/
    If you can't find them for some reason beyond that page. http://yig.deviantart.com/gallery/
    WOW screenshot and concept art gallery http://smg.photobucket.com/user/evilknick/library/WoW

No, because Blizzard didn't use too much Asian architecture because they were cutting corners, they used it because it makes sense to the lore and the area, all the while they went above and beyond the call of duty in the detail they put into those buildings as well as the terrain model wise and texture wise.

And Krasarang looks like an Asian forest right out of Vietnam or Cambodia, so I guess Asian landscapes are fine with you, but buildings aren't,... whatever.

There is no more of a problem with reusing assets in Pandaria than there was in Outland or Northrend. You won't find a single area in this game with unique architecture and buildings really other than the capitol cities, because it's all reused everywhere. People who think it's more of a problem in MOP just don't like the design itself, which must be why they can ignore the same Alliance strongholds and Draenei ruins you saw constantly reused in Northrend and Outland.

How did I lose? The Pandaren were given serious lore, with thousands of years of history. I don't lose because you decide to close your eyes and ears and pretend it's not there.

Go a page back.

And wow, if you didn't see my post and just posted "you lost, not me" is just fucking childish. Get over yourself.
    Last edited by Chaochamp; 2013-02-23 at 03:55 AM.

The Mongols were were one of the inspiration for both the Orcs and specifically the old Horde. Asian themes are a part of Warcraft and always have been going back to it's inception. I know that wasn't the question ,but think of it as food for thought.

lol

Teenage angst? Roid rage? Wait wait, I found it! Nerd rage! I will reply just for the entertainment value in your posts.

So now, you changed the subject and discussing that I am blind and have tunnel vision? lol

Dude, wake up, you won't convince anyone, let alone me. Pandas were an April Fools joke. They still are a joke, and guess what, some of us fall for that joke and some of us are smarter than that.

I don't mind the dwarves that "you" think are goofy because I don't find them silly or ridiculous. Dwarves have fascinated many with their history and lore, including Tolkien who may have taken them too seriously lol. Dwarves have had a special place in fantasy games world for decades, they were not an April Fool's joke. When it comes to pandas, they do have a special place too, but only in Toys R Us.

---------- Post added 2013-02-23 at 04:05 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by kage View Post
    The Mongols were were one of the inspiration for both the Orcs and specifically the old Horde. Asian themes are a part of Warcraft and always have been going back to it's inception. I know that wasn't the question ,but think of it as food for thought.
    Average person does not recognize that. I don't look at an Orc and say "That's very Mongolian". I do not look at Orc architecture and say "Wow, that's Mongolian all the way".

In MOP, Asian architecture is very close to the real world Asian architecture. It is obvious.

The problem lies, not in Asian architecture, but how obvious and abundant it is in MOP.

---------- Post added 2013-02-23 at 04:15 AM ----------

You may have quoted the wrong post before you started your rambling.

I never said they were cutting corners or they were repeating/reusing any certain structure or texture. By the way, diversity doesn't mean complete lack of repetition. It means having multiple different parts. A diverse environment can have 10 different architecture styles and repeat each one 3-4 times, and still be diverse. You don't make any point really.

Asian forests? Maybe to you. I don't know how forests are in Cambodia versus in Peru or in Gabon. If you have that expertise on forests and such keen eye, that's cute. Yet, again, to average player Krasarang forests will not be obvious in any similarity to Cambodian forests.

I don't know how the thread got dragged to Asian architecture. Funny, I do like pagoda-style. Just not everywhere. I also do not like a fantasy game copying real world too closely.

Average person does not recognize that. I don't look at an Orc and say "That's very Mongolian". I do not look at Orc architecture and say "Wow, that's Mongolian all the way".

In MOP, Asian architecture is very close to the real world Asian architecture. It is obvious.

The problem lies, not in Asian architecture, but how obvious and abundant it is in MOP.
    Gilneans are very British. Tauren are very blatantly Native American. Stormwind is unrepentantly medieval European. There are of course others, but these are the most straightforward examples I can think of that are just as obvious. So I ask what's the difference? I don't recall anyone complaining when the Tauren actually I $#!t you not great you with "How.".

I am genuinely curious as to what the difference is please someone tell me.

I like it. It feels different from EK/Northrend/Kalimdor, and yet it still feels like it belongs in Azeroth to me. Honestly, when it comes to visual themes it was BC I didn't like for the most part.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gilneans are very British. Tauren are very blatantly Native American. Stormwind is unrepentantly medieval European. There are of course others, but these are the most straightforward examples I can think of that are just as obvious. So I ask what's the difference? I don't recall anyone complaining when the Tauren actually I $#!t you not great you with "How.".

Trolls are pretty blatantly Haitian/Jamacian with a side dash of voodoo and Mayan architecture.

Night Elf architecture is a blatant copy of Korean, with Greco-Roman stonework/temples.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

I guess I cannot enjoy Pandaria anymore after this. Too bad I thought it was awesome and looked great.

Quote Originally Posted by Chry View Post
    I couldn't care less if it was Asian inspired, my justification for the dislike is the overuse throughout the entire continent.
    If that's overused, we shouldn't have any european stuff for the next 3 expansions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    I don't like how they based on entire continent on Asian/Chinese style, I agree its irritating.

Inb4 Northrend = viking themed, only Howling Ford and Storm Peaks are.
    You obviously don't know much about ancient Norse mythology, culture, history, nor geographic location. The Norse didn't just live in effing remote baron snowy regions. Pretty much the only things that weren't Norse themed in Northrend were Zul'Drak (Trolls obviously), Sholozar Basin, Crystalsong Forest, and Icecrown Citadel. Borean Tundra, Grizzly Hills, Storm Peaks, Howling Fjord, Dragonblight, and the majority of Icecrown are all either Norse themed or contain aspects of Norse locale (Sweden, Norway, and Denmark all have lush forests and vast snowy mountainous regions, while Greenland and Iceland are much more baron tundra).

Aside from all that, I very much like the theme of Mists of Pandaria. The only expansion so far that had vastly different zones was Cataclysm. That's it. Outland, although the zones were much different from each other had the unifying factor of having a wartorn, destroyed planet theme. Wrath of the Lich King was the same deal, as I outlined in the above rant. The continent itself was Norse themed, you didn't go to Northrend and think vikings, and dragons, and Trolls, and rhinos, oh my!

So what's wrong with Mists of Pandaria having one single theme? Which in actuality it doesn't if you look at the Dread Wastes. So although so far, Mists had the highest number of similar themes per zone, the reality of it is that every single expansion so far has had some underlying cultural theme (save for cataclysm who had 5), and that underlying theme speaks to many of us much more than just naming off every single zone.

We've had a mix of all cultures so far but as soon as anything Asian comes up people throw a fit because they don't like it? Everyone has their preferences I suppose, but what bugs me is when people say it has no place in Warcraft.

Too Asian? What should Blizzard have done, turn down the Asian-o-meter? Added knights in shining armour everywhere? Hell, some of the pandaren farmers speak like Americans. If they'd made everything too different you'd all be complaining about how the clash of cultures is just weird. If you think it's all the same, granted they do all look pretty similar, but I could draw distinctions between them quite quickly and appreciate that.

I don't even listen to anyone say that the Asian theme doesn't belong in Warcraft. Here's a fact: Warcraft doesn't belong to you, it belongs to Blizzard, and so long as Blizzard decides it belongs, it does. You've trusted Blizzard with Warcraft so far, I don't think it's our place to say what is or isn't Warcraft after all this time. We may feel like we know it better than them, but we play the game and follow the story to be a part of it, not so we can tailor it like whiny children to whatever we want. Just because it doesn't coincide with the existing criteria for a fantasy environment in Warcraft (seriously I was kind of getting tired of castles, horses, knights, etc) doesn't mean it has no place. No amount of 'but it wasn't in Warcraft 1/2/3 so it doesn't count', or similar excuses will count, because all those games are over and done with now.

Personally, I'm glad for it. We're moving on in the story, we have new characters, new lore, this land that we've only heard about 'till now in stories is suddenly available to us. The war between the Alliance and Horde, the real story behind Warcraft, is back on track and bloodier than ever. I think that's what makes the whole Asian themes so prominent is because they're so different, Pandaria definitely feels like a lost land that's had many many years of stories to tell already. The environments are arguably the most beautiful in game, I love Valley of the Four Winds and mogu architecture, especially in the Vale of Eternal Blossoms in all the red and gold themes. Cataclysm lacked a new continent which was really a shame, as even though they brought out as many new zones, I think having a new continent altogether is much better.

But people are willing to overlook all that because they think it's too Asian. Pretty silly, really.
    Last edited by Shadowbane; 2013-02-23 at 05:16 AM.

I like the theme, and I don't think it's overdone, but that's just my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Kenny View Post
    Avocado is a tropical fruit , south seas expansion confirmed.

Ahhh...

No. I do not see Gilneans as British.

I have been alliance from the start. Tauren. Never played and interacted much. Possibly because they were never imposed upon players, unlike pandas. After a second look, they could resemble Native Americans. I can see that now, but would not realize unless they were imposed upon me in every single zone of an expansion or unless I read it in forums here.

I think Dranei had a very strong Russian-like accent. I did not like it much, but I did not hate it either. We did not find a Kremlin in the middle of Terokkar, after all. We did not get Russian recipes in cooking. We did not get Russian temples, martial arts, cyrillic script. In MOP, almost everything is Chinese. One resemblance here and another there is fine, but when it is everywhere it is irritating.

The difference is Asian references in MOP are:
    1. obvious, more so than the examples you gave imo
    2. abundant, way more than in any other expansion.

---------- Post added 2013-02-23 at 05:37 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Callei View Post
    Trolls are pretty blatantly Haitian/Jamacian with a side dash of voodoo and Mayan architecture.

Night Elf architecture is a blatant copy of Korean, with Greco-Roman stonework/temples.
    I do not see any Korean in night elves. I do see the Greco-Roman columns because I grew up around them. I know the Trolls being Meso-American because I read about it too many times on forums and now I do see the resemblance. Part of it could be I was not exposed to meso-American culture at all until I came to US. Again, we did not have an entire Troll expansion and an entire Troll continent either to make it obvious to me.

We had some Trolls in Stranglethorne Vale, in Tanaris, here and there scattered across Azeroth. Then we had ZA, ZulDrak, etc. Mind you, one zone, one or two instances per expansion. People still complained about Trolls.

Now we have Asian theme that permeates thoroughly MOP and Pandaria. It is overwhelming, very dominant. It is not sufficiently diluted with other stuff as it used to be in previous expansions.

The extreme abundance of Asian references is causing the backlash rather than its mere presence.

Ahhh...

No. I do not see Gilneans as British.

I have been alliance from the start. Tauren. Never played and interacted much. Possibly because they were never imposed upon players, unlike pandas. After a second look, they could resemble Native Americans. I can see that now, but would not realize unless they were imposed upon me in every single zone of an expansion or unless I read it in forums here.

I think Dranei had a very strong Russian-like accent. I did not like it much, but I did not hate it either. We did not find a Kremlin in the middle of Terokkar, after all. We did not get Russian recipes in cooking. We did not get Russian temples, martial arts, cyrillic script. In MOP, almost everything is Chinese. One resemblance here and another there is fine, but when it is everywhere it is irritating.

The difference is Asian references in MOP are:
    1. obvious, more so than the examples you gave imo
    2. abundant, way more than in any other expansion.
    You clearly never started a Worgen with the sound on...

Virtually every Gilean has a British accent. The speech Prince Liam gives just before the Battle of Gilneas City is a mildly altered version of one Winston Church. Everything about the country of Gilneas is heavily based off Victorian England. There's a comic that takes it even further telling the background of Gilnean conflict and Worgen outbreak through the eyes of a Sherlock Holmes stand in.

P.S. I recommend the above mentioned comic if you like either sherlockian detective stories or want a good background story about Gilneas.
    Link: http://www.wowpedia.org/World_of_War..._of_the_Worgen
    P.S.S. Somewhere along the line this thread went off the rails a bit.

I like any style if it's done right. I really like MoP. I don't think too Asian is not really a problem with the game but a problem of people who just hate it. It's like WotLk when I first entered the continent it screamed Norse theme and I don't have a problem with that.
    Last edited by Wildmoon; 2013-02-23 at 07:09 AM.