Poll: Have Public Forums Made You A Smarter Person?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini Sunrise View Post
    You had to go to a public forum to realize that? I mean, shit, people are like that in real life, why wouldn't they be like that anywhere else?
    I tend not to hang around with those sort of people, either at work or socially, we tell it as it is. I was Raised an Army brat, Joined the forces and it was all I knew. People were straight with each other, the internet showed me the other side that I will have to deal with when I retire.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    I tend not to hang around with those sort of people, either at work or socially, we tell it as it is. I was Raised an Army brat, Joined the forces and it was all I knew. People were straight with each other, the internet showed me the other side that I will have to deal with when I retire.
    I mean, you don't hang around with em, but you know they exist (at least you did if you are the type that is in any way, shape, or form aware of the world around you). That's what I was confused about.

Quote Originally Posted by Volitar View Post
    Not really. The only thing forums have done for me is show how many grammar Nazis exist ^.^.
    Its for your own good.

Deleted
    Smarter? Not really, but it brings certain points to my interest. But only I google anything, no actual discussing has gained my anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've learned how to form a decent argument. It's also given me insight into how different people think. Basically it's taught me how to form my opinions into words. Which will be helpful if I ever decide to do game journalism, which is something I've been considering.

I wouldn't say smarter though it has made me a little less lazy when just typing blindly.
    Infectionate Pawsthorne Bubblesbee
    [A] [H]
    Nasturtium Fisticuffs Blesshu Sinnocence Ellipsis Hiddenfee Teddiursa

Deleted
    I don't know if forums online have made me smarter, but they have certainly improved my knowledge. Whether that is intelligence or not. Informed me where I was wrong whether or not I understood it. It easy to dismiss one's current knowledge when others do not agree as ignorance in others. Also, much easier to forget one's own ignorance. A quote I was thinking of:
    "An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
    Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Probably pretty much describes it. If I hadn't learned anything, it was probably because I was doing something wrong then. Still, I don't know how that relates to actual intelligence as compared to schematic knowledge in some form or the other. Mostly from reading other people's thoughts and words and putting things out there. Though, online is such a vague and anynomous/uncontrolled form to begin with.
    Last edited by mmoc859327f960; 2013-02-24 at 09:13 PM.

I think so. It keeps my mind active in typing and reading. I don't enjoy reading books all that much, and when I go too long without typing out words I start to have spelling errors and more grammar errors than usual.

I will also point out being apart of the forums here at MMO-Champion have really opened my eyes about many issues and would like to think that my knowledge of the world has grown.
    Last edited by Usako; 2013-02-24 at 09:00 PM.

Deleted
    Not sure about smartness, but I'm certain that I have accomulated significant ammounts of knowledge from forums.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, I lose a brain cell every time i read 99% of threads.
    Aye mate

The only thing public forums have done is remind that the fool will claim everything is a logical fallacy now. It's like the badge of internet disinformers, and used as improperly as a security guard trying to tin his way thru a speeding ticket.
    The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, it introduced me to new opinions, new ideas and these ideas often sent me to wikipedia or youtube or some other site for more information.

For example, several threads on Fark.com about the evolution/creationism debate taught me a lot about evolution and lead me to research evolution. Watched a lot of Thunderf00t and AronRa's videos and while they do rail hard against religion, I did learn a lot about evolution, the big bang and abiogenesis.
    Putin khuliyo

The only thing I probably ever learned was that even the most diligent and clever of people can be forced to respond to things they don't want to respond to. I once got the lead developer of a major MMORG to come out swinging at me and reveal pricing data that was being kept "unrevealed at this time" by just making up ridiculously inflated numbers and then arguing against them. I don't want to say which, but it came out as "news" on many sites... something like X responds to internet troll with Y. When it was nothing but an attempt to force that developer to reveal that information.
    The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    I guess it made me more well informed.