Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

The Homeless Man and the Diamond Ring

I didn't see another thread for this; so, just in case... I figured I'd do my part.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/22/us/mis...html?hpt=hp_t2

I just made a small contribution. It's not often that you get to make an impact in a stranger's life. Here's hoping he takes the outpouring and turns his life around.

Maybe I'm just a sucker for helping out, but remember that old woman on the school bus full of kids taunting her, hitting her and cursing at her? I contributed there too and I imagine it changed her life and taught a few parents a lesson about raising awful children.

Life doesn't always have to be a stinkhole.

That's one smart homeless man I liked what he said.

10+ Year Old Account
    Very rarely do I see something online that increases my faith in humanity.

Good guy, he deserves every penny.
    "In life, I was raised to hate the undead. Trained to destroy them. When I became Forsaken, I hated myself most of all. But now I see it is the Alliance that fosters this malice. The human kingdoms shun their former brothers and sisters because we remind them what's lurking beneath the facade of flesh. It's time to end their cycle of hatred. The Alliance deserves to fall." - Lilian Voss

Be better if someone actually physically helped him. Just giving homeless man cash is useless without a house/job

Quote Originally Posted by Robo View Post
    Be better if someone actually physically helped him. Just giving homeless man cash is useless without a house/job
    It's not really useless.

Really? He got $95k 7 days into the campaign. At this rate, he'll end up with a million dollars by the end of the campaign. Even if the rate slows down significantly, he'll have more than enough to buy a decent house and have money leftover to live jobless for years if he so chooses.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashnazg View Post
    Really? He got $95k 7 days into the campaign. At this rate, he'll end up with a million dollars by the end of the campaign. Even if the rate slows down significantly, he'll have more than enough to buy a decent house and have money leftover to live jobless for years if he so chooses.
    I cant stand selective charity and this is a perfect example of it.

Instead of arranging so that 10 homeless people get 10k each, media is making this one homeless person have it all.
    I just hope he doesnt spend it all on drugs...

10+ Year Old Account
    That's pretty cool. I agree with the homeless guy when he said, "What I actually feel like is, 'what has the world come to when a person who returns something that doesn't belong to him and all this happens?'". It's sad when a good deed is so rare and shocking that people feel they have to publicly acknowledge it. Still, I think the whole story is great, and glad people reached out to him. I have even greater respect for him because of his humility. It was a win for everyone.

Considering the amount so far in the article, I don't think he'll be wanting for a place to live for quite a bit.
    They can dynamite Devil Reef, but that will bring no relief, Y'ha-nthlei is deeper than they know.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by saltyharbls View Post

Instead of arranging so that 10 homeless people get 10k each, media is making this one homeless person have it all.
    Some people like to give that way. When I was younger I did more structured and consistent giving, but now I like to give larger amounts to people who I run into that are in really tight spots and have no one left to depend on. It's a perfectly valid way to be charitable.

Deleted

He didn't seem like a druggie, I think if he was he'd run the second he noticed the ring instead of giving it back.
    And who knows he may help other fellow homeless people as he knows what its like! He seems like a good guy with good intentions and how he spoke seemed sincere

Don't be fucking stupid. Just because you're homeless doesn't mean you're on drugs.

If he WAS on drugs, that ring would have been sold for $50 and he'd be in an alleyway right now.

Infracted: Please refrain from insulting other posters.
    Last edited by Wikiy; 2013-02-23 at 10:18 PM.
    They can dynamite Devil Reef, but that will bring no relief, Y'ha-nthlei is deeper than they know.

Deleted
    Given how he returned a diamond ring worth a small fortune, i'd imagine he's a kind man. Even if he got all that money I doubt he'd use it all for himself, most likely he knows other homeless people and will offer some of them a place to stay and help them turn their lifes around. Claiming he'd spend it all on drugs is just the stupidest thing someone can say, if he was really on drugs and in possession of such an expensive item, do you really think he'd wait two bloody days then return it? He'd sell it to get a fix.

"What I actually feel like is, 'what has the world come to when a person who returns something that doesn't belong to him and all this happens?'" Harris said.

And he's entirely correct.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Deleted
    As other have said, if he really was a junkie that ring would've been flipped in a hearts beat.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account

Good deed rewarded! Some faith in humanity restored

Really neat, that's all I can say.

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/02/22/us...html?hpt=hp_t3

Not to take away from what he did, but it would have been kinda hard for him to pawn.

Ehh the homeless man seems like a great fellow with good principles but i'm not sure about the couple. A 90 day campaign till he gets his money? Meanwhile he should continue to be homeless? without any access to his cash...
    Last edited by Basemath; 2013-02-23 at 11:08 PM.
    Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Basemath View Post
    Ehh the homeless man seems like a great fellow with good principles but i'm not sure about the couple. A 90 day campaign till he gets his money? Meanwhile he should continue to be homeless? without any access to his cash...
    Oh well...what is one and a half month of being homeless more.

I mean he was homeless for this long. (I assume), what is waiting for another month and a half for probably near a million dollars.

Deleted
    How come this man is homeless to begin with ? He doesn't seem to be a meth user and he seems too sober to be a raging alcoholic... does he get no funds from the government ? No help at all getting his life back on track ?