Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Are you a germophobe?

I have some friends who are its really weird almost. Im not nasty I do the usual shower twice a day, brush teeth, wash towers and sheets,etc. But my friends never use public restrooms, which is understandable. Everytime they shower they must spray the whole thing down with lysol then wear shower shoes, I never wear shower shows and im disease free. I see sometimes when im using the bathroom there is a next of toilet paper around the seat, I just say screw it and sit on the seat. Sometimes they wont shake peoples hands I can understand that but I would find that highly rude if someone did that to me.I find this ridiculous but they carry there own utensils to restaurants and wipe down all seat before sitting . It must be me and my good immune system but im not to worried about germs, they never made me sick. They are often sick have no idea why since they are always trying to be germ free.

I am germophobic to a point because I get sick easily. I do use public bathrooms and just wash my hands after. I would never bring silverware from home or refuse to shake someone hand unless I am sick or I can clearly see they are sick.

Deleted
    I'm in the middleground I guess. Though I'm strict about my personal hygiene, I wash my hands fairly often, and I don't take dumps in public bathrooms.

Quote Originally Posted by Seirith View Post
    I am germophobic to a point because I get sick easily. I do use public bathrooms and just wash my hands after. I would never bring silverware from home or refuse to shake someone hand unless I am sick or I can clearly see they are sick.
    Phobia implies irrationality. I dont see the problem with trying not to get sick.
    As a Med student I dont really see myself being afraid of germs but i would never ever ever ever ever pick up and eat something dropped on a hospital floor - I might do it if it happened at home.

nope, doing what your friends do is depriving them of the chance to build their immune system to any degree.
    The only time i'll go out of my way with cleanliness is when it comes to food storage/preparation/cooking.
    don't get me wrong though ...shit is clean but i don't go mental because something has gone a day or three without bleaching the crap out of it

I am really the complete opposite. I honestly believe the whole germaphobic thing is complete stupidity. It's a self perpetuating thing. Being afraid of touching something because there's these icky germs that will make you sick only serves to give yourself a weak immune system, thus making you sick. I would eat food back in school that fell on the floor of the cafeteria. Hell, I even purposefully rubbed an apple on the floor and took a bite out of it. And guess what: I practically never get sick. The last time I was sick was... 2004? Nearly 10 years ago. Because I am not afraid of germs or dirt.

Like most other microbiologists I know, I fear almost no germs.

Quote Originally Posted by Pachycrocuta View Post
    I am really the complete opposite. I honestly believe the whole germaphobic thing is complete stupidity. It's a self perpetuating thing. Being afraid of touching something because there's these icky germs that will make you sick only serves to give yourself a weak immune system, thus making you sick. I would eat food back in school that fell on the floor of the cafeteria. Hell, I even purposefully rubbed an apple on the floor and took a bite out of it. And guess what: I practically never get sick. The last time I was sick was... 2004? Nearly 10 years ago. Because I am not afraid of germs or dirt.
    Go to a hospital and start eating stuff off the floor and see how long you last.

10+ Year Old Account
    I OCD wash my hands when I get home, does that count?

Deleted
    I live live in germany and I am absolutely not germophobe :-D!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    Phobia implies irrationality. I dont see the problem with trying not to get sick.
    There are people so scared of germs that it is indeed a phobia.
    It's all crap anyway, the people who actually aren't scared of germs are probably more likely not to get sick because they actually have a resistance to things.

Yey for eating off the floor, for letting my dog lick my face, and not having to wash my hands everytime I do something remotely dirty like going to pee.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I ate a lot of dirt from the sandbox and a few crayons as a kid... never even had the flu and I'm almost 27 now. IDGAF
    Quote from: Thallidomaniac on March 28, 2010, 05:56:24 am
    Our characters are wearing the same pair of underwear, since like, Level 1. Damn that's unsanitary as hell.

Deleted
    I wash my hands when i touch too many objects, like public doors and other public objects. Does that count?

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Huh, and here I thought this was about people being scared of Germans and Germany... Little bit dissappointed I'll have to admit... Little bit.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

I am in some ways, but I'm not a clean freak by any means. I don't feel the need to shower every day, as it's entirely unnecessary unless you're getting extremely sweaty every day from work or exercise. But I always wash my hands after using the bathroom, I never sit down on public toilets if I can help it, I won't share drinks with anyone I'm not dating, I won't share food with anyone period, I won't eat anything that's been on the floor or left out too long, I'm repulsed if I find hair in my food even if it's my own, I don't like being around sick people because I get sick very easily. I could go on, but you get the point. I'm not as much of a clean freak as some, but I certainly don't have bad hygiene relative to most men I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Mastoni View Post
    I wash my hands when i touch too many objects, like public doors and other public objects. Does that count?
    But..why? Unless you like sticking your fingers in your mouth what does it matter at all, I can understand doing it before dinner or something, but just going "well better wash my hands, touched a door" is sooooo weird to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Pachycrocuta View Post
    I'm the same way, although I am a clean person. Shower once or twice a day, brush my teeth etc. I never worry about germs in fact I actually welcome somewhat germy stuff. I honestly believe whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger and I actually try to expose myself to germs regularly to keep myself with a strong immune system. I refuse to ever use hand sanitizer etc. I even manage a couple convience store/gas stations and handle money that's been touched by sick people all day. I don't even wash my hands before I eat cause I want to build up a tolerance to whatever is out there. Since I started living like this, I have been almost invincible to sickness. I haven't even had a runny nose in 3-4 years. I haven't missed to a day of work due to being sick in 6-7 years, and that was actually cause I woke up in the middle of the night and made myself a turkey sandwich with no lights on in the kitchen, then when I was 75% of the way done with it I noticed the bread was completely green/black. I had the shits the next morning so I called in to work. Only time I've been sick in almost a decade.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by glowzone View Post
    But..why? Unless you like sticking your fingers in your mouth what does it matter at all, I can understand doing it before dinner or something, but just going "well better wash my hands, touched a door" is sooooo weird to me.
    Well stuff like that can dirty your hands and make them feel gross.

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    Well stuff like that can dirty your hands and make them feel gross.
    I wouldn't want to live life worrying about that, no offense.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by glowzone View Post
    I wouldn't want to live life worrying about that, no offense.
    I don't really worry about it. I just hate when my hands feel gross.