Poll: Will the sequester result in a "Pearl Harbor II"?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    Ok... Korea I get (specifically North Korea)...

But Japan and China? eh? China, if anything, will have to face a civil war when their economy blows up - and Japan doesn't have a military to speak of anymore, unless they're going to throw Hello Kitty plushies and singing toilets at us...
    You forgot tentacles! They are fixing up some genetic mutated kraken! Mark my words!

I doubt very much that there are any plans by anyone to attack Pearl Harbour. Especially by those who dislike the US the most.

The nations most opposed to the US tend to use very different tactics, as it makes much more sense to do so.

As for the rest of the world, most nations are starting to realise that bombing harbours is becoming somewhat outdated. In fact bombing anything is becoming somewhat outdated.

With the way the world is now there is too much international trade and too many multinational corporations for it to be potentially profitable for any nation capable of fielding a sizeable modern army to attack another nation with a sizeable modern army. Eventually the power that "defense" (war) companies have will diminish and the power of financial institutions will rise. Not that this fills me with confidence for a brilliant world either, financial institutions have no more scruples and compassion than defense companies. Just that a less deadly form of misery awaits us.

I will eat my neighbor's shit if Japan attacks Pearl Harbor again.

15+ Year Old Account
    Hawaii was relevant as a military base when it was needed as a refueling station for war planes in WW2. Hawaii is not completely irrelevant, but its strategic importance has drastically waned since WW2.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

As much as the spending cuts will impact. Its roughly 16 percent in defense. Defense is already over inflated. Their budget since 9/11 has doubled. I'm sure they have more then enough to spare and I seriously doubt their will be a Pearl Harbor two. If anything what is designed to do is cut several programs a certain amount out of each. This is not even remotely as even close bad what would took place if they stalled on last situation.

Nothing really that bad will happen. In fact we can have the spending cuts go through and it will almost have no impact.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's really not about Japan, it's what Japan tried to do.

I'm not a huge fan of Neil anymore, but what a lot of people fail to realize is that Hawai'i is valuable real estate. It enables the US to maintain a strong foothold in the Pacific. If another country decided to get too big for its britches they will target Hawai'i. That's why the US went through so much trouble taking it over. He has a point. Cuts in general though, would be good, but eradicating enough so that Hawai'i as a first line of defense in the Pacific would be ineffective? It would be a sitting duck. It's not like Hawai'i can quickly get more supplies, or soldiers.

There's a compromise here without being stupid about it.

EDIT: Japan loves Hawai'i by the way, the culture and the people. So just to reiterate, the threat is not from Japan but what they attempted to do and what other countries WILL try to do again if another World War arises.
    Last edited by Uennie; 2013-02-25 at 12:33 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    If japan attacks pearl harbor Ill film myself running naked in the streets and try to post before I get arrested, if china does it I would be a bit surprised.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Al queda flew planes into buildings?
    Some conspiracies refuse to die out, don't they.
    Putin khuliyo

This is not even ridiculous... Its not possible, simple as that.
    P.S.
    How the hell 9/11 nuts got even here?

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    I live in Hawaii and I facepalm at least twice a day over the stupid shit that our local government launches out of it's ass. Honestly if Korea nukes us off the map because of this the United States as a whole might be better off for not having to spend billions in federal dollars per year maintaining our soon to be "Fixed Raid Transit System" that will provide service for no more than a third of the population of the state most of whom won't even use it. As for China, they won't bomb Hawaii, China can't afford to screw with America's economy because so much of their own shit is tied to the dollar. As utterly troll as the comment about the genetically engineered kraken sounds I think there's a greater probability of Japan attacking Hawaii with one of those than with bombs. At least in that case it would make for hilarious video footage to put on youtube.
    Naftc, "Hunters are the cheapest class in game and when played right are more deadly than a train plowing through a field of bunnies covered in napalm"

Quote Originally Posted by DieFichte View Post
    You forgot tentacles! They are fixing up some genetic mutated kraken! Mark my words!
    I didn't... the problem is I know some people who may like that. =/

Well Pearl Harbour 2 would certainly be an unspeakable atrocity, but fortunately Michael Bay has moved on to other projects.

(Unfortunately that project is TMNT.)

Quote Originally Posted by cymraeg13 View Post
    Is anyone else concerned about this? I've heard that sequestration is 85 BILLION in cuts to future spending increases. Do you think this might leave us vulnerable to the Japanese?
    Can't decide if srs or sarcasm...
    Last edited by Mormolyce; 2013-02-26 at 05:14 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.