Page 1 of 2
LastLast

New expansion crew skills

Hey guys !
    Ok just a real quick question regarding Crew skills in the new expansion !

Does any body know if any of the crew skills become more useful than the current state in live at the moment ?
    I love my crafting professions in mmo's but find them very underwhelming in swtor just wondered if anyone has some good news about any of them for the coming expansion ?

Thanks for reading and answering retrospectively ! Hope that's the right word

Graiv , sniper , the red eclipse

Quote Originally Posted by Romleyboomer View Post
    Hey guys !
    Ok just a real quick question regarding Crew skills in the new expansion !

Does any body know if any of the crew skills become more useful than the current state in live at the moment ?
    I love my crafting professions in mmo's but find them very underwhelming in swtor just wondered if anyone has some good news about any of them for the coming expansion ?

Thanks for reading and answering retrospectively ! Hope that's the right word

Graiv , sniper , the red eclipse
    I only looked at Armormech, but from what I can see, it seems to be a ton of the same old, same old. Unless something changes, Armormech will only be relied upon for their augments. I wish they'd include some form of perk for each profession.

Deleted
    Nope rather than make the other crew skills as good as biochem, they made biochem as shit as everything else. There are no more reusable stims so now you only need biochem on 1 char. Bio, cybertech and artifice are still the best but the learning chance from RE is only 10% so it can take longer to start making money off it. As for augments, well the 26 augs only add +1 main stat and probably some endurance over 22s so are pretty pointless.

It seems crafting is still a thing Bioware just don't understand how get right. They need each crew skill to have a benefit like they do in WoW.
    Last edited by mmoce9505126aa; 2013-02-24 at 03:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaul View Post
    It seems crafting is still a thing Bioware just don't understand how get right. They need each crew skill to have a benefit like they do in WoW.
    I'd rather they went the other direction and made crafting a more relevant part of the game than in WoW. Crafting in WoW is just a number you get up to an arbitrary level and then completely ignore for the rest of the expansion.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    I'd rather they went the other direction and made crafting a more relevant part of the game than in WoW. Crafting in WoW is just a number you get up to an arbitrary level and then completely ignore for the rest of the expansion.
    That's totally untrue. Every profession has their purpose. Enchanting, JC, LW, BS, Tailoring, and Inscription all craft items used to upgrade items. Alchemy is used throughout the expansion for raiding. The problem with TOR's crafting is that augments can be ripped out and put into a new piece of gear. Or you just use a modifiable piece of gear and never have to worry about doing anything aside from ripping outs mods/augments and replacing them. The demand on augments and augment kits become finite whereas, in WoW, you have to re-enchant or re-gem every new piece that you get.

---------- Post added 2013-02-23 at 11:50 PM ----------

As for augments, well the 26 augs only add +1 main stat and probably some endurance over 22s so are pretty pointless.
    Those are the green augments, not the purple. Once you RE the augments enough to be artifact, the stats will be higher.

Nope rather than make the other crew skills as good as biochem, they made biochem as shit as everything else. There are no more reusable stims so now you only need biochem on 1 char. Bio, cybertech and artifice are still the best but the learning chance from RE is only 10% so it can take longer to start making money off it. As for augments, well the 26 augs only add +1 main stat and probably some endurance over 22s so are pretty pointless.

Main stat increases from 13 to 19 for green augments. I think thats a significant increase in item power.

I think permanant passive buffs in wow makes the crafting professions extremely dull. Learn it once, forget until next expansion.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Odegon View Post
    I think permanant passive buffs in wow makes the crafting professions extremely dull. Learn it once, forget until next expansion.
    I'll let you in on a little secret...you're doing it wrong.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    I'll let you in on a little secret...you're doing it wrong.
    I'm not sure what I am supposed to do to make personal benefits of crafting skills more fun for me?

Quote Originally Posted by Odegon View Post
    I'm not sure what I am supposed to do to make personal benefits of crafting skills more fun for me?
    I've yet to meet a crafting profession that I would consider "fun". Besides, the only permanent passive buffs you receive in WoW come from gathering professions. None of the actual crafting professions give you anything that's passive.

Quote Originally Posted by notorious98 View Post
    That's totally untrue. Every profession has their purpose. Enchanting, JC, LW, BS, Tailoring, and Inscription all craft items used to upgrade items. Alchemy is used throughout the expansion for raiding. The problem with TOR's crafting is that augments can be ripped out and put into a new piece of gear. Or you just use a modifiable piece of gear and never have to worry about doing anything aside from ripping outs mods/augments and replacing them. The demand on augments and augment kits become finite whereas, in WoW, you have to re-enchant or re-gem every new piece that you get.
    So with the exception of Alchemy and Enchanting, every profession has literally two items(Inscription has four!) they make and sell throughout the expansion, with a few extra here and there sprinked through the raid tiers.

Wow.

How exciting.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

Ok so with artifice making enhancements , colour crystals and bio Chem making stuns etc for there income
    What does cyber tech make for its income ? I've never had a cybertech !
    I just wish as a sniper I could be a arms tech and it not feel pointless .....

---------- Post added 2013-02-24 at 09:15 AM ----------

Stims not stuns damn autocorrect

Quote Originally Posted by Romleyboomer View Post
    Ok so with artifice making enhancements , colour crystals and bio Chem making stuns etc for there income
    What does cyber tech make for its income ? I've never had a cybertech !
    I just wish as a sniper I could be a arms tech and it not feel pointless .....

---------- Post added 2013-02-24 at 09:15 AM ----------

Stims not stuns damn autocorrect
    Cybertech makes mods and armorings, earslots and nades (which are useful in PvP mostly).

Regarding "fun"... I've got all crafters but I couldn't say that any of them makes any "fun". It is kinda fun to make mods for your twinks etc. but it takes ages and lasts only so long.

So with the exception of Alchemy and Enchanting, every profession has literally two items(Inscription has four!) they make and sell throughout the expansion, with a few extra here and there sprinked through the raid tiers.

Wow.

How exciting.
    Jewelcrafting has dozens. Inscription also used to have dozens until Blizzard made glyphs permanent, but still can sell those glyphs for alts. They also make Darkmoon cards. The other three craft gear. How "exciting" do you expect them to be outside of that? Besides, you never said anything about "exciting". You said you ignore them after leveling them and I disagreed.

Deleted
    They should make crew skills to provide something that's fun.

Something like WoW's Engineering. Don't give just stats but something fun like nitro boots, parachute etc.

Bio did that and it was OP because it was the only CS that had something so unique.

Finally, I really want some social crew skills. I don't want fishing but something like pazaak, swoop racing, crime solving. Hopefully, more things would come after releasing 2.0.

They said that they would add a feature to change your appearance soon after 2.0. I do believe it would be on the CM but still, that's something

Quote Originally Posted by notorious98 View Post
    Jewelcrafting has dozens. Inscription also used to have dozens until Blizzard made glyphs permanent, but still can sell those glyphs for alts. They also make Darkmoon cards. The other three craft gear. How "exciting" do you expect them to be outside of that? Besides, you never said anything about "exciting". You said you ignore them after leveling them and I disagreed.
    Jewelcrafting is the other exception which I forgot, my mistake.

Glyphs are still the most interesting aspect of any crafting skill, at least when it comes to results, because they directly attach a wide range of relevant benefits to your character. What can any other profession offer, other than a minor stat boost and the occasional second-BiS-behind-hardmodes pieces with each tier and item upgrades which are mandatory enough that they might as well not be there?

Darkmoon cards are exactly those items which are relevant for one or two tiers before being discarded for the Next Best Shiny.

How 'exciting' do I expect them to be? Not very, because Blizzard and Bioware don't give two shits about their crafting professions. How 'exciting' would I like them to be? Let's start with more avenues for advancement than "making a bar fill" and "the same way you get normal gear".

I would like to see crafter mods which increase your chance for reverse engineering/ critical success and or crew skill mission results. This should be obtainable during crafting and would be interesting for everyone who runs crew skill missions for example. (you would place these mods in your companions gear to raise success chance/ amount of resources you can get). Further down the line I'd like to see equipment dyes or even further customizations like Clan Tag etc. .

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    How 'exciting' do I expect them to be? Not very, because Blizzard and Bioware don't give two shits about their crafting professions. How 'exciting' would I like them to be? Let's start with more avenues for advancement than "making a bar fill" and "the same way you get normal gear".
    While there's certainly room for improvement in the crafting feature of MMOs, to think that either company 'don't give two shits' is ignorant. Whether you like it or not, Blizzard designs professions that are accessible and easily understood by a wide range of audiences. In such a wide audience, you don't put overly complicated, niche features onto a traditional MMO system. It would be moronic.

Also, SWTOR tried to at least innovate the method for accomplishing a similar system. If they didn't care about it, they could have easily made an exact copy and not changed it at all. They realized it fit well with their companion system and probably created them in tandem.

The problem is that SWTOR's professions were designed by people who didn't understand how to make MMOs. That much is evident by how little the professions still don't matter. Your claims about wow's professions being useless just shows you have pretty flawed views of the game. Could they add tiered crafting items for PvE that help provide some gear that stays current? Yes, but they normally do that from Raids already.

It's like you want crafting systems to be able to do everything for you so that you don't have to step foot in a dungeon or raid...which is obviously a ridiculous desire.
    BAD WOLF

Wow.

How exciting.
    There is also jewelcrafting- you use gems for every piece of gear and thats more than 2 items
    There is also herbalism which supplies herbs for the alchimists to make the flasks

That alone just doubled your number.

Then again each profession allows you to save on a certain enchant/item. Tailors back enchant is a thread that costs under 5 gold. Blacksmiths get 2 sockets for under 5 gold(even though they have to pay for the gems).

Now what exactly does the professions in SWTOR give you?

I always loved the SWG decay system idea, things wear out and you have to replace them, instead of you get BIS and forget about upgrading your gear until the next expansion.

Personally, I think it's silly when tauntauns drop sniper rifles or a giant mech drops a lightsaber. I've always felt that gear should be obtained through crafting and the mats for blue + quality gear through killing bosses or BAM or w/e the game has. Also, I've always liked it when different crafters had to work together to achieve something like some old school engineering recipes in wow.
    IE: Artifice recipe, [Mace Windus VibroCane] 8 thorium bars (common mat made by armormech or armstech), 3 pristine cortosis weave (rare archaeology find), plasma stabilization isotope (made by biochem from boss drop), purified or corrupted black core (crafted by artifice from boss drop), color crystal level 50+ (crafted by artifice, common)

Something like that where you need something from the primary prof, secondary prof of primary, and then at least 2 other professions involved to make an epic. Only 1 other profession for a blue, and you can create greens on your own.

edit: boss drops would obv be BOP, you would need all 3 crafters present to create my ex, the result would go to whoever was selected at the recipient. You can have a 4th person who is inactive in crafting but a recipient. That, or each prof has its own set of tiers for each class. /shrug. there's a lot of ways to do it.
    Last edited by Bardarian; 2013-02-25 at 02:28 PM.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I hope we won't see what we saw in the 1.6, that is the possibility to learn and craft raid gear mods.

I agree that you should be able to craft entry level gear. At the begining of the game, the crafted gear were too weak compare to the daily mod, or even the tionese. But lately, you can just get an entire set of 63 mod and hilt/barrel crafted, this is too much. There has to be a middle ground. There has to be incentive to raid, especially after you clean the op a few times. But comparing wow and swtor crafting, i find the RE concept of green item to learn to make a better version a great idea. just not for the best gear in game.

I also think they should re distribute the plan.

Armorsmith -> armoring + non force user armor
    weaponsmith -> barrel + earpiece + non force user weapon
    artifice -> hilt + implant + crystal + relic
    Synthweaving-> enhancement + force user armor
    Cyber-> mod + ship upgrade

something like that

Lastly, i propose to redisign the augment.

- no more MK-6 augmentor, no more augment slot.
    - the augment is one-time use and permenatly augment the stat of the gear. No need for an augment slot.
    - redistribute the augment among all profession.

PS: as a prefered status player, i can't post on the official forums. If someone agrees with my view and wish to post on the official swtor suggestion forums, by all means, you are very welcome.
    Last edited by Vankrys; 2013-02-25 at 02:17 PM.