Where do those people in expensive subdivisions work?

I just always wanted to know everytime I ask I hit dead ends, dont want to just ring someones doorbell and be like where do you work itll be kinda random and maybe rude. Im talking not too too expensive just some new places they were building and places that were built houses started at $600k+ going up past $1 million. Some are gated communities have nice bike trails and such, i had a friend who lived in a place like that his parents didnt work they inherited some money, I live in the deep south. I just want to know thanks in advance!

Some own companies are are highup at them, also doctors, lawyers, and engineers. I do a lot of work in those type of places.

Some like secure nice places and cut back on other things, did work for a man in a 1-2million dollar house, he fixes his own cars, cuts his own grass, drove a 15year old Honda.

Quote Originally Posted by drwelfare View Post
    Some own companies are are highup at them, also doctors, lawyers, and engineers. I do a lot of work in those type of places.

Some like secure nice places and cut back on other things, did work for a man in a 1-2million dollar house, he fixes his own cars, cuts his own grass, drove a 15year old Honda.
    This is pretty common.

Also, saving money - if you save up for a 25% or so down payment on a $600k house (which is a lot, being $150k) your mortgage would probably only be in the range of $2500-$3000, with $2800ish being the most likely unless property taxes are really high.

Just renting a 2 bedroom apartment in San Diego pushes $1800+ so that kind of mortgage payment isn't that unreal. If a family just has two working adults making a semi-decent wage (say, $3000 a month take-home pay each) then they can EASILY live comfortably in a place like that - and making $3k doesn't require much, I was making that at 20 years old without a degree in a pretty simple county job.

And saving up the $150k for that might seem outrageous, but just being frugal for a few years at those same jobs those people could easily save that kind of money on 3 or 4 years.

What some people here do is rent their house during Masters tournament. I decent sized house can bring in $10,000 and I have seen some rent for over $40,000 for that week. Take that money and put it towards your house payments. A decent amount of people here do that.

Get an entry level job in the government making $100k a year, mooch off everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    Get an entry level job in the government making $100k a year, mooch off everyone else.
    If only GETTING the job was that easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Karrmer View Post
    If only GETTING the job was that easy.
    Don't worry. The Glorious American People's American Democracy will provide government jobs for everyone!
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

often times they are upper-middle class folk like dentists, bankers, mid-tier executives, and such living above their means and swimming in debt.

god bless america
    Last edited by crunk; 2013-02-24 at 07:34 AM.

I live in a gated community right now, just bought a place for 800k (200k downpayment and a 10 year mortgage, but the payments arent too bad.) and I work as graphic designer right now. With a steady job, you dont have to make that much money to be able to afford a nice place. Im not going to go into how much I make, but its a 6 digit anualy (before taxes) that should give you an approximate idea.

It just comes down to proper spending and knowing how to save money while not limiting your spending too much (buy what you need, and as far 'toys' go, try to be responsible and think ahead)
    Last edited by Hexotic; 2013-02-24 at 07:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hexotic View Post
    I live in a gated community right now, just bought a place for 800k (200k downpayment and a 10 year mortgage, but the payments arent too bad.) and I work as graphic designer right now. With a steady job, you dont have to make that much money to be able to afford a nice place. Im not going to go into how much I make, but its a 6 digit anualy (before taxes) that should give you an approximate idea.

It just comes down to proper spending and knowing how to save money while not limiting your spending too much (buy what you need, and as far 'toys' go, try to be responsible and think ahead)
    having a job making 6 figures helps quite a bit as well...making 6 figures gives you a little more money to save every paycheck then say making 50k a year or less does to pay that 200k down assuming you dont make stupid decisions and stretch yourself thin. then when you factor in MOST married couples dont make 100k a year combined (no numbers on that just a hunch)

personally i live in a 250k-300k dollar house and pay 1k a month. i wouldnt want a house any bigger then what i got nor would i want to pay the absurd ammount that goes with it just to say look at my big house! lol.

Doctors, lawyers, oil field, engineers.

One guy's house I went to used to play for the Celtics and is an engineer now. (This is in houston.)

Mostly oil field down here though. Oil field entry level is a ton of money.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hexotic View Post
    I work as graphic designer its a 6 digit anualy (before taxes)
    I'm sorry but what company pays a graphic designer that much? Software engineers don't start anywhere near that rate and there is a shitload more demand for them than graphic designers. Hell my brother who is a nuclear pharmacist makes a little over 100K a year and you are telling me a graphic designer is getting paid that much? Seeing the salary scale according to what I see say they make $24,760 - $57,172 a year.
    Also I hate to not believe what you are saying but a 600K mortgage @ 10 years(at a generous 4.75% APR) is near $6,300 a month equaling total house payment of $75,600 a year since you were vague as can be on pay even though you claim to make way outside the normal pay scale I can't see you earning much over $100k a year. Once you take taxes out I just don't see you paying $75k a year to mortgage.

also there is a difference between starting in a high-end community and ending in one, My father is a staff member from a university chem department, a good 10 years before retirement he was clearing 6 figures, took him time to get to that point, he also had a phd. My mother was a pediatric RN as well, so with both incomes they easily could live there and live well. Growing up there though my friends' parents where tenured professors, bank operations, legal consults, dentists, and optometrists. Pretty much any private practice doctor is paid. Basically education, time served in a company, and/or high-end experience all easily bring in 100K+. when you have more then one in a household ie husband/wife, high end suburbs are an easy move.

Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    I'm sorry but what company pays a graphic designer that much? Software engineers don't start anywhere near that rate and there is a shitload more demand for them than graphic designers. Hell my brother who is a nuclear pharmacist makes a little over 100K a year and you are telling me a graphic designer is getting paid that much? Seeing the salary scale according to what I see say they make $24,760 - $57,172 a year.
    Also I hate to not believe what you are saying but a 600K mortgage @ 10 years(at a generous 4.75% APR) is near $6,300 a month equaling total house payment of $75,600 a year since you were vague as can be on pay even though you claim to make way outside the normal pay scale I can't see you earning much over $100k a year. Once you take taxes out I just don't see you paying $75k a year to mortgage.
    its 110k, not 200, and after taxes its usually around 70 k. Senior graphic designer position in one of the larger agencies in Toronto. Considering our clients are large companies with mostly massive marketing campaigns with very generous budgets, it is a very realistic salary. Thing is, every year its different based on the work we have done. 2 years ago, 70k, 1 year ago 120 k, 2012 was 105 k, it fluctuates.

P.S. My art director makes $110/hour lol. and also, this is CAD not USD, take that into consideration also.
    Last edited by Hexotic; 2013-02-24 at 03:42 PM.

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by crunk View Post
    often times they are upper-middle class folk like dentists, bankers, mid-tier executives, and such living above their means and swimming in debt.

god bless america
    Unfortunately, this does happen a lot. I know more than my fair share of people who make damn good money, but spend it like they are at the lower income levels and live paycheck to paycheck. More income doesn't always mean more wealth. What people always fail to realize is that they really don't need that 3000 square foot home to live in. Live intelligently and within your means.

Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post

My average person in my profession makes about $45k. The top 10% earners make $70-75k. I personally make more than both of those figures combined (with 20+ years experience and a certain set of skills that most don't have). Am I at the top end of pay for my field, sure but you'd be surprised what some professions earn. Averages are just that, averages.