Thread: Chain Heal

Question Chain Heal

Just a simple math problem for you math-lovers out there.

I'm 99% sure on this, but for some reason that 1% is nagging me. True or false, the best target to hit with Chain Heal is one that has Earth Shield and Riptide on them? That one is pretty easy, imo. The nagging comes at points like this-

-For example, doing Shek'zeer on normal (to make it simple).
    -The entire raid is at full health, because our healers are just that awesome.
    -One of the Dissonance fields blows up. The tanks remain at full health, since our disc priest bubbled them and no one else, since he's lazy.
    -One tank has ES and a RT rolling on him, and one of our melee dps (who has dropped to, say, 60% from the blast) has RT rolling on him as well.

At this point, should I CH the tank for the bonus from ES, or the DPS to get the bonus healing from mastery? (Sitting at around 55%).

My response would obviously be to hit the dps with the CH, but can someone math out when it'd be more beneficial to smack the MT in this sort of situation instead? Also, to throw another wrench into the works, what if the dps is (for example) a rogue, with that one talent (or whatever) that increases their healing taken by 15%? Now who should I toss the CH to?

Your thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Zues View Post
    Just a simple math problem for you math-lovers out there.

I'm 99% sure on this, but for some reason that 1% is nagging me. True or false, the best target to hit with Chain Heal is one that has Earth Shield and Riptide on them? That one is pretty easy, imo. The nagging comes at points like this-

-For example, doing Shek'zeer on normal (to make it simple).
    -The entire raid is at full health, because our healers are just that awesome.
    -One of the Dissonance fields blows up. The tanks remain at full health, since our disc priest bubbled them and no one else, since he's lazy.
    -One tank has ES and a RT rolling on him, and one of our melee dps (who has dropped to, say, 60% from the blast) has RT rolling on him as well.

At this point, should I CH the tank for the bonus from ES, or the DPS to get the bonus healing from mastery? (Sitting at around 55%).

My response would obviously be to hit the dps with the CH, but can someone math out when it'd be more beneficial to smack the MT in this sort of situation instead? Also, to throw another wrench into the works, what if the dps is (for example) a rogue, with that one talent (or whatever) that increases their healing taken by 15%? Now who should I toss the CH to?

Your thoughts?
    Cant say for sure but during cata i think that if you cast chain heal on an earthshielded target, only the target with earth shield took 20% increased healing. If thats still the case then that would mean your rogue from talents would probably be the only one to take increased healing too and thus chain healing on the target which has riptide on and fairly low hp would probably be the best choice, as long as chain heal will bounce a few times.

Deleted
    Like delaxes said ES healing bonus will only affect the ES-ed player, and rogue healing bonus will only affect the rogue. Also, deep healing mastery gets calculated separately on each jump.

First heal accounts for about 40% of total healing done, so there is no scenario where landing CH on a full-HP target will be beneficial. For quick comparison:

(A) CH lands on a player with no riptide, but jumps 4 times with no overhealing:
    1 + (1 x 0.7) + (1 x 0.7 x 0.7) + (1 x 0.7 x 0.7 x 0.7) = 2.533

(B) CH lands on a player with riptide and jumps 4 times but the first heal is 100% overheal:
    1.25 x (0 + (1 x 0.7) + (1 x 0.7 x 0.7) + (1 x 0.7 x 0.7 x 0.7)) = 1.91625

CH in scenario A is about 32% more effective than the one in scenario B even though we didn't take advantage of riptide.
    Last edited by mmocced3afbbdf; 2013-02-24 at 03:17 PM.

Huh, I hadn't even thought that it would calculate the mastery in for each person. Always figured it worked on the first, and the additional jumps just lost a certain % from the initial number.

Well kewl, thanks :]