High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account

Help me chose a laptop

So, hello everyone.

I have a hard time chosing between laptops. Price range is around €500.
    I've never bought a laptop before, so I'm not sure what to look at.
    My needs are very basic. Browsing the web, using office, maybe watch a serie or a youtube vid from time to time and thats it.
    I do want this laptop to last some time, preferably without having to upgrade it.

A couple options I have found (links are Dutch, as am I):

http://tweakers.net/reviews/2922/2/l...n-prijzen.html

http://www.komplett.nl/komplett/prod...b/details.aspx

The second link is actually from the outlet of the shop. It sells computers at a discount who have been used as a showroommodel, or have slight damage on the casing or something like that, which I don't mind.

It saves me €250, so thats quite something.

The sony from the komplettlink comes with windows 7, but is upgradeable to windows 8 for €15 (I want 8).
    Both laptops come with an i5, the komplett one has a second gen though (i5-2450M).
    The twakerslaptop has a third gen i5 3210M. Is the difference big/noticeable between generations?
    They both have 4gb RAM and 500gb Harddisc (which will be enough)
    the sony laptop's RAM is clocked @ 1333 MHz, can't find any info about the tweakers RAM speed.

Thing I noticed about the tweakers laptop is its battery. Don't really know anything about it, but its capacity is 2200mAh, which seems a bit low (have seen alot of laptops at 3-4k instead of 2.2).
    The komplettlink doesn't give any info about the battery's power capacity, only the duration, which is 5 hours.

So, in short, which laptop would you recommend and why?
    And if you know any other laptop which you think is better in the same price range, that would be great as well.

Awaiting your responses eagerly!

The Sony one has a respectable graphics card to complement its 1080p screen rather than the slightly over 720p, and I'd also personally trust Sony more than a no-name brand

And as far as the processors go, there won't be much difference, except the 3rd gen *should* use less power, but they're entirely different models so its hard to tell without researching

Also having bought my laptop as a refurb unit, I'd recommend that option as well, especially in this case, you're definitely getting €250 for free there provided nothing went horribly wrong with it (which I assume you can either see or query, its hard to tell without being able to read dutch lol)
    Last edited by Xs; 2013-02-24 at 11:55 AM.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    The power difference between 2nd and 3rd gen i5 processors, is it significant? Will I notice it, or is it nice but not worth the money?
    And similar question about the screen resolution. I get that 1080p>720p, but is the difference noticeable? And does that mean that higher resolution means more power used, so shorter time before battery is low?

Thanks for the reply btw!
    Last edited by MythiaX; 2013-02-24 at 01:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MythiaX View Post
    The power difference between 2nd and 3rd gen i5 processors, is it significant? Will I notice it, or is it nice but not worth the money?
    And similar question about the screen resolution. I get that 1080p>720p, but is the difference noticeable? And does that mean that higher resolution means more power used, so shorter time before battery is low?

Thanks for the reply btw!
    the 2nd gen processor is a higher spec in this case, and the 3rd is slightly lower, but the speed comes out the same, so the 3rd gen should be very slightly faster
    screen res will mean about 50% more graphics power required (hence the graphics card) and will drain the battery, but depending on how well that card works with the system it may be similar to integrated graphics on the other system