Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ...
LastLast

Improving my Warlock play

Hi, it would be nice if someone could go through my logs and point out some possible mistakes I made during these 2 fights or tell me where I could improve.

http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/...LtyN3#fight=15
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...tderp/advanced

I'm Dotdotderp and fights are Malkorok and Spoils

Thanks
    Last edited by Impoxh; 2014-08-01 at 03:43 PM.

lol are you just trying to brag or something? 411k on a 5minute malk kill with 577 ilvl is fine...
    Spoils is very dependent on how fast your tank pulls, and 400k+ is fine...
    Graviity

Quote Originally Posted by Impoxh View Post
    Hi, it would be nice if someone could go through my logs and point out some possible mistakes I made during these 2 fights or tell me where I could improve.

http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/...LtyN3#fight=15
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...tderp/advanced

I'm Dotdotderp and fights are Malkorok and Spoils

Thanks
    Moved your post to the appropriate sticky for queries like yours.
    ~ Battle.net MVP ~
    Overwatch mod
    Twitter | Soundcloud

Quote Originally Posted by Boostedtoon View Post
    Around the point where I think I could use some more experienced lock raiders' advice on my dps. Here are today's logs: http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/...XKAQvb#fight=3

Here is my gear link: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Cothia/simple

Thanks!
    Hey, sorry for not answering.

First of all, I'll advise you to look up how to play Affliction, and in particular the soul swap phenomenon. I see you did not play affliction for Fallen Protectors or Dark Shamans, and these are two particular fights where affliction shines particularily well. There is a number of different guides for it, and you can either google it, or take a look at this blogpost I made about soul swapping correctly.

Regarding your destruction gameplay, there's a few things you can do to optimize your results. As far as I can see, your opener was something like this on Iron Juggernaut:

Incinerate
    Conflagrate x2
    CDs
    Immolate
    Incinerate x4
    Chaos Bolt
    Immolate
    Chaos Bolt
    Incinerate x2
    Chaos Bolt

Consecra from <Vanguard> posted this response to a player wanting to optimize his Destruction opener, and I'll just quote it here for you, as it is in fact a very solid post:

Quote Originally Posted by Consecra
    Your opener should look like this:

(pre-pot optional) pre-cast Incinerate > Dark Soul > Racials/Engi > Immolate > Conflagrate > Conflagrate > Doomguard > Incinerate to get rid of Backdraft stacks followed by Chaos Bolt x2 (You should have 2 Embers at this point).
    If you are interested in reading into why your opener should be exactly like this, he made a fairly elaborate explanation of it right here. I'd recommend reading it, as understanding the reasoning behind the opener is quite vital to understanding how destruction works. That thread in general has a lot of rock solid advice on things you should concider regarding the destruction opener that isn't necessarily covered to the same depth in the destruction guide on this forum.

Otherwise, I'll say your gear looks good, correct stat prio and itemization. I may add to this post tomorrow if nobody else has elaborated on the post-opener gameplay.
    Last edited by Alarinth; 2014-08-03 at 01:51 AM.
    ~ Battle.net MVP ~
    Overwatch mod
    Twitter | Soundcloud

Quote Originally Posted by Gravityx View Post
    lol are you just trying to brag or something? 411k on a 5minute malk kill with 577 ilvl is fine...
    Spoils is very dependent on how fast your tank pulls, and 400k+ is fine...
    I know my DPS is nowhere near bad I just want to know some small things where I could still improve.

I posted here before no one answered. Maybe it seemed like I was trolling? In all seriousness I'd like some feedback on my current DPS and how I can improve upon it. I recently switched from almost 30% haste and dumped it into crit. It has seemed to increase my DPS by about 600k altogether from Immerseus to Malk earlier this evening. I'd like some tips on how to increase my DPS. I read a few posts up about the opener and I am going to try that tomorrow. It won't let me post links just add the http and www in.

Logs: worldoflogs.com/guilds/320234/
    Armory: us.battle.net/wow/en/character/kel%27thuzad/gotanygrapes/simple

Deleted
    Switching a few thousand haste to crit absolutely did not gain you 600k DPS so let's just make sure people browsing this thread don't get the wrong idea.

Having said that, I feel like I've completely forgotten how to analyse WoL. If you could upload it to Warcraft Logs (with advanced combat logging turned ON) I would be more than happy to take a look.

Across all fights from Immerseus to Malkorak. It's an overall increase, not per fight :P. Hmm how can I do that? I would have to obtain the logs from last night from my friend/raid leader. Or have him do it for me.

Deleted
    You were probably just playing well rather than your reforge gaining you the DPS.

And just get him to reupload the log to WL.

Not really sure. You could be right. But on more than one boss I had a 50K DPS increase vs. last week using haste over crit. I was Mastery > Haste > Crit. Now I am Mastery > Crit > Haste. So I think switching to crit had a lot to do with it. I will let him know, probably just link him the thread. Thanks.

Deleted
    It really didn't, unless it was a very shadowburn heavy fight and you got all the shadowburns.

Here are my logs. It took a bit for my friend/rl to get them uploaded to warcraftlogs.
    Logs: warcraftlogs.com/guilds/reportslist/14194/

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by codomir View Post
    Here are my logs. It took a bit for my friend/rl to get them uploaded to warcraftlogs.
    Logs: warcraftlogs.com/guilds/reportslist/14194/
    Is your armoury broke? Won't let me view it. I'm guessing you're around 580 with heroic weapon and trinkets. I'll be analysing your most recent Malkorok parse then, and damage can definitely be improved. Edit: nvm found you via wow-heroes.com. You have over 37% crit raid buffed.

First thing is Immolate uptime at 93%. This should ideally be as close to 100% as you can manage it, although 95+ is what you should be aiming for. Those few extra Immolate crits could be an extra Chaos Bolt/Shadowburn and get you an extra 1M damage. It all adds up.

Next is average Chaos Bolt damage, which at 1.4M is good. Your max hit was under 2M though so not sure what's going on with that considering you're running a Mastery > Crit build. I'll look into it later.

Now we can start to analyse a bit deeper. Looking at how you used cooldowns and snapshotted your spells. First, Immolate crit around 45% of the time. If you have 30% crit baseline then this means you were likely snapshotting Immolate well with your 4pc bonus. Really though this should be over 50%, as even with my old Destruction build I managed 50% crit ticks and I was running 10.4k haste. This is because you also get prolonged periods where Immolate is snaphotted with 4pc + DS + trinkets and ends up critting like 70%+ of the time. Edit: With close to 40% crit raid buffed you should ideally see immolate critting 55% of the time or more on single target fights.

Onto cooldown usage - your opener was good. Everything procced and you got off 4 Chaos Bolts before Expanded Mind fell off. I think you should really have gotten 5 out in this window, but 4 is passable.

You had KTT proc and used only 1 Chaos Bolt in this window when you had time for at least 2 before PBI and DS were back up.

Now we start hitting some snags; when PBI procced you forgot to use Dark Soul. Not only that, but you didn't cast a SINGLE chaos bolt during the whole 20 second proc! You did get a nice overlap a bit later in the fight where you got off 4 Chaos Bolts during your delayed DS + KTT + Potion, but you missed out on a lot of damage by not syncing DS with PBI and subsequently getting a third use during execute. You also aren't using Synapse Springs enough. Clearly just macroing it to Dark Soul tut tut!

Advanced Combat Logging wasn't turned on which means I can't track if you were ember capped, so that's something else which can be looked at (start logging yourself!).

Quote Originally Posted by Liquidsteel View Post
    Is your armoury broke? Won't let me view it. I'm guessing you're around 580 with heroic weapon and trinkets. I'll be analysing your most recent Malkorok parse then, and damage can definitely be improved. Edit: nvm found you via wow-heroes.com. You have over 37% crit raid buffed.

First thing is Immolate uptime at 93%. This should ideally be as close to 100% as you can manage it, although 95+ is what you should be aiming for. Those few extra Immolate crits could be an extra Chaos Bolt/Shadowburn and get you an extra 1M damage. It all adds up.

Next is average Chaos Bolt damage, which at 1.4M is good. Your max hit was under 2M though so not sure what's going on with that considering you're running a Mastery > Crit build. I'll look into it later.

Now we can start to analyse a bit deeper. Looking at how you used cooldowns and snapshotted your spells. First, Immolate crit around 45% of the time. If you have 30% crit baseline then this means you were likely snapshotting Immolate well with your 4pc bonus. Really though this should be over 50%, as even with my old Destruction build I managed 50% crit ticks and I was running 10.4k haste. This is because you also get prolonged periods where Immolate is snaphotted with 4pc + DS + trinkets and ends up critting like 70%+ of the time. Edit: With close to 40% crit raid buffed you should ideally see immolate critting 55% of the time or more on single target fights.

Onto cooldown usage - your opener was good. Everything procced and you got off 4 Chaos Bolts before Expanded Mind fell off. I think you should really have gotten 5 out in this window, but 4 is passable.

You had KTT proc and used only 1 Chaos Bolt in this window when you had time for at least 2 before PBI and DS were back up.

Now we start hitting some snags; when PBI procced you forgot to use Dark Soul. Not only that, but you didn't cast a SINGLE chaos bolt during the whole 20 second proc! You did get a nice overlap a bit later in the fight where you got off 4 Chaos Bolts during your delayed DS + KTT + Potion, but you missed out on a lot of damage by not syncing DS with PBI and subsequently getting a third use during execute. You also aren't using Synapse Springs enough. Clearly just macroing it to Dark Soul tut tut!

Advanced Combat Logging wasn't turned on which means I can't track if you were ember capped, so that's something else which can be looked at (start logging yourself!).
    Armoury isn't broken :P. First off, I know about Immolate. I always recast it before it reaches 10 seconds, and I have problems sometimes recasting it even when using AffiDots. So I'll try to work on that more, especially for Malkorok. The problem with my CB not being over 2 million, was/is my opener maybe? I worked on that a lot, a few posts up I seen a proper opener. And my DPS was over 1 million burst at one point on Thok. So I think... I have it down now. And hopefully I can line up everything properly with a perfect opener (pray to the rng gods). My guess for the Immolate ticks not critting as often, I am going to just go out on a limb, and assume, it's from not having the second haste cap. I could be wrong. And Crit = Haste. I did prefer haste over crit, having that 0.8 second cast (lower than gcd lol) with hero up. Or I am just not snapshotting correctly. Yeah... I should probably get an addon for that.. It's annoying to look up in the left corner of my screen. That way when it's up, I can squeeze in another CB. Again.. my opener not being done correctly. So everything was out of whack.. with being lined up properly. Don't have an excuse for not casting a CB... yeah........... I'll go keybind that right now. I'll also setup logs for next week, and we can see how I do! Thanks for the help and point out what I need to work on. It definitely helps a lot to know what I am doing improperly and why I fall behind a god damn ele shaman. P.S. going back to 10kish haste if not for the second Immolate cap, but for my 1.0 second cast with backdraft.

Deleted
    I always recast it before it reaches 10 seconds.
    Don't do this, your primary aim with Immolate is to maintain it with the 4pc buff. If you have to wait until 2 seconds left before you refresh whilst waiting for a 4pc proc, that is fine.

My guess for the Immolate ticks not critting as often, I am going to just go out on a limb, and assume, it's from not having the second haste cap. I could be wrong.
    Yeah you're wrong. Haste does not boost your Crit chance. Crit does. That's why it's called Crit chance! As I said, your low Crit percentage on Immolate is because you aren't snapshotting it with the 4pc buff well enough. What you need to do is download weakauras, and get the aura for the t16 4pc bonus. This way you can track when it's up (to refresh immolate) and then track the ICD so you can predict (think ahead) as to when it will proc next based on how close you are to filling your next ember.

Again.. my opener not being done correctly. So everything was out of whack.. with being lined up properly
    No, your opener was fine. You just forgot to use Dark Soul. Nothing was out of whack other than you not tracking the CD on Dark Soul. Once again - get weakauras!

Don't do this, your primary aim with Immolate is to maintain it with the 4pc buff. If you have to wait until 2 seconds left before you refresh whilst waiting for a 4pc proc, that is fine.

Yeah you're wrong. Haste does not boost your Crit chance. Crit does. That's why it's called Crit chance! As I said, your low Crit percentage on Immolate is because you aren't snapshotting it with the 4pc buff well enough. What you need to do is download weakauras, and get the aura for the t16 4pc bonus. This way you can track when it's up (to refresh immolate) and then track the ICD so you can predict (think ahead) as to when it will proc next based on how close you are to filling your next ember.

No, your opener was fine. You just forgot to use Dark Soul. Nothing was out of whack other than you not tracking the CD on Dark Soul. Once again - get weakauras!
    1 - I will work on it. Should I be snapshotting it with other haste buffs, or just my 4pc?

2 - Again same question here. I have weakauras but I don't have it setup for my 4pc or trinkets. I was thinking of using Tellmewhen for my trinkets and DS/LB/Synapse maybe prepot. I'll have to setup weakauras for my 4pc then I should be golden.

3 - Glad to know that. But I think it can be even better knowing how to open properly now! Again, thanks for the help! I hope that all of this will help me beat those damn ele shamans!
    Last edited by codomir; 2014-08-14 at 06:48 PM. Reason: messed up quote tags lol, another edit, how much haste should i shoot for? just the second immolate cap?

1 - I will work on it. Should I be snapshotting it with other haste buffs, or just my 4pc?

2 - Again same question here. I have weakauras but I don't have it setup for my 4pc or trinkets. I was thinking of using Tellmewhen for my trinkets and DS/LB/Synapse maybe prepot. I'll have to setup weakauras for my 4pc then I should be golden.

3 - Glad to know that. But I think it can be even better knowing how to open properly now! Again, thanks for the help! I hope that all of this will help me beat those damn ele shamans!
    http://pastebin.com/0dKUkFMy

My destro weakauras from a backup I made a couple months back - includes pboi, 4pc, meta, ktt, skull banner, and some other stuff. This should give you a starting point to work off at the very least. Make sure you are tracking the ICD on your PBOI as well as the proc itself so you know when you should start to pool embers a bit more to prepare for cooldowns.

Deleted

You don't need to set up your own weakauras. Head on over to Woz's Weakauras thread. and just import the ones you want. You can resize and reposition them from there, preferably close to your cast bar and your affdots near the middle of your screen and your character's feet.

Also, to answer question 1) Yes you should refresh with haste procs. The good news is that those haste procs last at least 10 seconds, so what you want to do is force the 4pc to proc, then refresh a max duration immolate when both are active. Win/win!

Quote Originally Posted by Novx View Post

My destro weakauras from a backup I made a couple months back - includes pboi, 4pc, meta, ktt, skull banner, and some other stuff. This should give you a starting point to work off at the very least. Make sure you are tracking the ICD on your PBOI as well as the proc itself so you know when you should start to pool embers a bit more to prepare for cooldowns.
    Thanks so much! <3 for the weakauras, I'll set it up when I get more time.

You don't need to set up your own weakauras. Head on over to mmo-champion.com/threads/1266785-Warlock-Weak-Auras"]Woz's Weakauras thread. and just import the ones you want. You can resize and reposition them from there, preferably close to your cast bar and your affdots near the middle of your screen and your character's feet.

Also, to answer question 1) Yes you should refresh with haste procs. The good news is that those haste procs last at least 10 seconds, so what you want to do is force the 4pc to proc, then refresh a max duration immolate when both are active. Win/win!
    Okay that should cover everything, thanks a ton for the help! I just have one more question, how much haste should I switch to? I'm just guessing the second immolate cap? I'll work on timing my immolates with my meta and my 4pc.