Quote Originally Posted by Uzi View Post
    Let's say EU then.
    EU isn't a country. The US is.
    In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Well, I wouldn't know how to answer your question because I'd need to have experience of living in a bigger country than mine, but I can tell you that my country isn't culturally homogenous. Sure, it may be racially or ethnically homogenous (more or less) but it's still extremely diverse, culturally. It's a country with 4,3 million people and regardless of that fact, there are 3 separate cultures. There's the Central-European culture in the North, the Mediterranean/Southern European culture in the south and purely unique Croatian culture all over the place. Just so there's no confusion, the Central European and the Mediterranean/Southern European cultures that are in my country aren't purely the same as in other countries... it's a generalization.

So yeah, at risk of being hanged for this, I'm going to say my country is more homogenous, culturally, than the US. The US wins when it comes to race and ethnicity.

Edit: I've completely forgotten to say that there are 4 different dialects here, 3 of which are individually so different from each other that you wouldn't understand if you spoke any one of them or the fourth, which is standard Croatian.

Geographically, there are the plains and forests in the north, the mountains between and the coastal Greece/Italy/Spain type of geography in the south. As well as 9 national parks on a surface of 60 000 square kilometers. Compared to the American 10 million square kilometers, the US would need to have 1500 national parks to match that. It has 59. So when you say that a country like mine is automatically geographically homogenous compared to the US while you know nothing about it is a bit ignorant.
    Last edited by Wikiy; 2013-02-24 at 06:24 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Uzi View Post
    Wait so you don't consider US a culturally homogenous place? Funny. Apart from the big cities with lot's of different immigrants, US is probably the most homogenous country when it comes to culture and population. You know nothing about the world when you state something as ridiculous as this.

Also, geographically? Most countries have various kinds of landscape, and even if not, you can always cross the border to reach a different one?

EDIT: I've just noticed your signature.
    I'm not geographically ignorant or Uncultured. I just know that living in a place and reading about one is very different.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatOak View Post
    Texas is pretty diverse actually. I'm sure someone from Texas can explain it better, but some parts would seem more like New York or Mexico instea of Texas
    Then there you have it then.
    If you look at each state as their own country, then you can basically have it the same as how it is to live in a small country.
    We are diverse here in Norway, we have a lot of different "Cultures" despite our size and population.

I really wouldn't have it any other way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crabby
    I'm Commander Crabby, and this is my favorite forum on the website.

10+ Year Old Account
    Understanding what it's like to live in a small country is a good first step for Americans in understanding why our nation is viewed the way it is by much of the world. The smaller your country, the more like-minded are your neighbors, family and strangers on the street. Smaller countries have closer societies and more shared interests and beliefs. The size of the U.S. allows for a different form of balance. Can you imagine if everyone in the U.S. had a Texan mentality? There would have been no Cold War, just a lot of casualties. Or if everyone were Californian? The U.S. would be bankrupt. Or if we were all from Mississippi? Segregation might still be a part of our culture.

Living in a small country must feel awfully stifling for those people and groups that want and work for change.

15+ Year Old Account
    Europe is a continent. We aren't.
    What's that got to do with anything? You're talking about size. European borders are just political anyway and if you knew your history you'd know that as recently as 1870 Europe was a very different place in terms of countries and borders - it basically comprised Great Britain, Prussia (Germany), France, Italy and Austro-Hungary, but even those countries we recognise the names of were very different places with distinctly different regions. Take a look as Spain for an example (which was basically a third world country at the time). Google Alsace-Lorraine for another example of imposed borders. Africa is the same - artificial borders that bear no real relation to cultural and linguistic differences.

It was only the First World War that resulted in the creation of a Europe we would recognise today.

Europe 1870:

Last edited by Daedelus; 2013-02-24 at 06:25 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Indeed, accents change in the UK just by going to the next town over. There are dozens, maybe more, of accents in England alone. I won't even try to count Wales Northern ireland and Scotland. All together there must be hundreds.
    English accents are easy to understand. Understanding Scots...is sometimes..hard

Deleted
    Europe is a continent. We aren't.
    He never claimed the USA was.

10+ Year Old Account
    First things first: North America is a Continent.
    Anyhoo, its just like someone said. Just think of our individual states as small countries. Tis easy as that

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Quote Originally Posted by Slummish View Post
    Understanding what it's like to live in a small country is a good first step for Americans in understanding why our nation is viewed the way it is by much of the world. The smaller your country, the more like-minded are your neighbors, family and strangers on the street. Smaller countries have closer societies and more shared interests and beliefs. The size of the U.S. allows for a different form of balance. Can you imagine if everyone in the U.S. had a Texan mentality? There would have been no Cold War, just a lot of casualties. Or if everyone were Californian? The U.S. would be bankrupt. Or if we were all from Mississippi? Segregation might still be a part of our culture.

Living in a small country must feel awfully stifling for those people and groups that want and work for change.
    What makes you think a small country guarantees same mentalities? o.O If that were true, then there wouldn't be such a thing as politics in such countries.

Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    Whats weird about it? You might visit other states - we visit other countries.
    It's not the same.

On topic: I like living in a small country. I feel like I have something incommon even with people from the other side of the country. Of course there are dialects, foods and traditions that vary, but at its core the people are closer.

Deleted
    English accents are easy to understand. Understanding Scots...is sometimes..hard
    What English accents? Geordie? Scouse? Manc? Even Native English speakers can have difficulty understanding these accents. Good luck understanding a strong Glaswegian accent too.

Deleted
    it's quite allright...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikiy View Post
    Well, I wouldn't know how to answer your question because I'd need to have experience of living in a bigger country than mine, but I can tell you that my country isn't culturally homogenous. Sure, it may be racially or ethnically homogenous (more or less) but it's still extremely diverse, culturally. It's a country with 4,3 million people and regardless of that fact, there are 3 separate cultures. There's the Central-European culture in the North, the Mediterranean/Southern European culture in the south and purely unique Croatian culture all over the place. Just so there's no confusion, the Central European and the Mediterranean/Southern European cultures that are in my country aren't purely the same as in other countries... it's a generalization.

So yeah, at risk of being hanged for this, I'm going to say my country is more homogenous, culturally, than the US. The US wins when it comes to race and ethnicity.

Edit: I've completely forgotten to say that there are 4 different dialects here, 3 of which are individually so different from each other that you wouldn't understand if you spoke any one of them or the fourth, which is standard Croatian.

Geographically, there are the plains and forests in the north, the mountains between and the coastal Greece/Italy/Spain type of geography in the south. As well as 9 national parks on a surface of 60 000 square kilometers. Compared to the American 10 million square kilometers, the US would need to have 1500 national parks to match that. It has 59. So when you say that a country like mine is automatically geographically homogenous compared to the US while you know nothing about it is a bit ignorant.

The US is the most geographically diverse nation in the world. I wouldnt say we're culturally homogenous either. I don't relate to people from Mississippi very much. I can't compare if to Croatia as I've never been though.

Belgium is really different. I'd like to go there again. Other than English speaking nations, I've only been to France, Spain, and Belgium.
    Last edited by GreatOak; 2013-02-24 at 06:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    It's not the same.

On topic: I like living in a small country. I feel like I have something incommon even with people from the other side of the country. Of course there are dialects, foods and traditions that vary, but at its core the people are closer.
    Going from Norway to Sweden isn't really a big cultural shock.
    It's a different country, but it's not that different.

Geographically, going from California to say, Nevada, is bigger in cultural difference than it is for me to go to Denmark, Sweden or Finland.
    If I where to go to say, Spain, then it would become different.

It is the same, it's just that each of your states are part of one country.

Go from one side of Russia to the other, you will notice a cultural difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crabby
    I'm Commander Crabby, and this is my favorite forum on the website.

10+ Year Old Account
    He never claimed the USA was.
    Why compare the entire continent of Europe to America then? We aren't living in a world without borders.

Quote Originally Posted by Daedelus View Post
    European borders are just political anyway and if you knew your history you'd know that as recently as 1870 Europe was a very different place in terms of countries and borders - it basically comprised Great Britain, Prussia (Germany), France, Italy and Austro-Hungary, but even those countries we recognise the names of were very different places with distinctly different regions.
    Those were not countries, but Empires. The Austro-hungarian had to issue decrees in 11 languages for all the ethnicities in it's borders... You can't claim "borders are political". They used to be, now they are much more about self determination than ever before.

10+ Year Old Account
    What English accents? Geordie? Scouse? Manc? Even Native English speakers can have difficulty understanding these accents. Good luck understanding a strong Glaswegian accent too.

Well I've heard all of the major ones, and have only had trouble translating what a scouser said to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    The US is the most geographically diverse nation in the world.
    I agree, however, that doesn't mean a country like mine is automatically geographically homogenous. Which is what you said when you started the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Benitora View Post
    Go from one side of Russia to the other, you will notice a cultural difference.
    Russia is not a great example since it's a federation and more like USA than other European countries. Also the thread clearly states "Small countries" and Russia is the biggest one there is.