Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by MC ALPACA FLAYME View Post
    I actually thought Django was Tarantino's best film, and I do think he got snubbed for Best Director as well. I haven't seen Argo though, so I can't really comment on Best Picture. Out of those I saw, Django stood out a little more than the rest, with Silver Linings Playbook a close second.
    I do agree that he deserved best supporting Actor. But I feel Foxx should have at least been nominated. Honestly in the last 25 years looking back over winners for best Actor I havent even heard of half the movies. To me best actor means getting out of your comfort zone and doing something that hasnt been done before. I know all actors are supposed to do that but for me when I think of past winners for best Actor the ones that stand out are Dustin Hoffman in Rainman, Tom Hanks in Forrest Gump, Anthony Hopkins in Silence of the Lambs, Robert DeNiro in Raging Bull, and Al Pacino in Scent of a Woman. I look at recent winners and like I said either never heard of the movie or was left going wow films must have really sucked this year for that guy to win.

Same for best Picture. Since 1990 I have only seen 11 of the movies that won best picture and 8 of them I have never even heard of.
    Last edited by Lilly32; 2013-02-27 at 03:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brightamethyst View Post
    Seriously? She was amazing in that movie.

Agreed, but any one who thought it stood a chance against a Pixar movie was kidding themselves.

(And I'm still annoyed that Arrietty didn't even get a nomination.)
    That's what really annoys me that Pixar won simply because their brand name was Pixar. Arrietty didn't get a nom simply because of the gap between the japanese premiere and US english dub premiere.

But it really was a great film and I would have likes to see it win if it could have been nominated some how.

---------- Post added 2013-02-27 at 04:08 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Lilly32 View Post
    I do agree that he deserved best supporting Actor. But I feel Foxx should have at least been nominated. Honestly in the last 25 years looking back over winners for best Actor I havent even heard of half the movies. To me best actor means getting out of your comfort zone and doing something that hasnt been done before. I know all actors are supposed to do that but for me when I think of past winners for best Actor the ones that stand out are Dustin Hoffman in Rainman, Tom Hanks in Forrest Gump, Anthony Hopkins in Silence of the Lambs, Robert DeNiro in Raging Bull, and Al Pacino in Scent of a Woman. I look at recent winners and like I said either never heard of the movie or was left going wow films must have really sucked this year for that guy to win.

Same for best Picture. Since 1990 I have only seen 11 of the movies that won best picture and 8 of them I have never even heard of.
    Daniel Day Lewis in Lincoln is up with all of those actors.

Quote Originally Posted by Markluzz View Post
    Daniel Day Lewis in Lincoln is up with all of those actors.
    Better than Gangs of New York?

So it's an incredibly expensive show built around sickeningly rich people giving gold statues to equally rich people.

While the hypocrisy (most of the people involved support Obama) is amusing. It's not so amusing that I would willingly subject myself to the lie.

After all talent has nothing to do with who wins. It's almost entirely about back-stage politics.

Quote Originally Posted by Twotonsteak View Post
    So it's an incredibly expensive show built around sickeningly rich people giving gold statues to equally rich people.

While the hypocrisy (most of the people involved support Obama) is amusing. It's not so amusing that I would willingly subject myself to the lie.

After all talent has nothing to do with who wins. It's almost entirely about back-stage politics.
    Where do you think that money is going? Sure some goes to gowns and jewelry, but where do you think the millions upon millions to actually do the show goes? Do you think Brad Pitt is serving dinner and Angelina Jolie is working the camera? It's going to thousands, literally thousands, of caterers, chefs, camera crews, journalists, hotel staff, etc. who are doing honest work related to the show in exchange for an honest wage.

Don't get me wrong, it's an incredibly self-serving event, but if you want to talk about hypocrisy how about addressing the logic of opposing rich people form spending their money? Whether or not you think they deserve all that money (and if you don't feel free to organize a national boycott, see how many people agree enough to stop watching movies) is irrelevent; they're rich, get over it. At this point, the best thing they can do is at least spend that money so it, you know, trickles down to the less wealthy? As a libertarian pretty evidently opposed to Obama, I imagine you're a fan of trickle down economics? Well, the Oscars is gush down economics.

Bloodsail Admiral Brightamethyst's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Markluzz View Post
    Arrietty didn't get a nom simply because of the gap between the japanese premiere and US english dub premiere.
    I know, and that annoys me because there's precedent for that kind of thing. Spirited Away won in 2003 despite having originally been released in Japan in 2001.

Very happy ang lee won for life of pi, love his movies they are breathtaking. Anne hathaway winning was so boring and annoying, she is so insincere and full of herself. The girl from hunger games didn't deserve to win either.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    Very happy ang lee won for life of pi, love his movies they are breathtaking. Anne hathaway winning was so boring and annoying, she is so insincere and full of herself. The girl from hunger games didn't deserve to win either.
    I think both of them deserved to win.. I have not seen all of the movies/nominees. But out of the ones, I have to say the right one won.