Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Help Me Block An IP Address

Hey guys, through a thread on Reddit, a lot of people have found success in speeding up YouTube as well as Twitch.tv speeds through blocking the IP addresses of

206.111.0.0 TO 206.111.255.255 and 173.194.55.1 TO 173.194.55.255
    I have done this in my firewall, and set it as a rule for inbound rules. Here's a pic.

These are set to block, and even though other people who have Brighthouse (my ISP) have gotten it to work, I have done everything specified in this thread but cannot get it to work through blocking it on my PC. Would blocking it through my router work? If so, how would I block it through my router (if it's possible with this router. . . this is the default router supplied by Brighthouse).

Last edited by Klutzington; 2013-02-24 at 05:41 PM.

I'm more curious what those IPs are used for in the first place...

It might sound dumb but what about blocking them in Windows host file? You know, redirecting them to localhost?
    Though you have a crapload of adress ranges to block...

10+ Year Old Account
    i find it hilarious that everyone is doing this, you are effectively shutting out almost 70,000 IP addresses, and you have no idea what they are,
    im aware of the throttle server thing, find the IP of the server, block that, but dont nuke a whole class b just because someone on reddit told you to

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    i find it hilarious that everyone is doing this, you are effectively shutting out almost 70,000 IP addresses, and you have no idea what they are, never know, it might be something important

im aware of the throttle server thing, find the IP of the server, block that, but dont nuke a whole class b just because someone on reddit told you to
    Many, many people are finding success with this. I would really like to watch YouTube at the advertised speed of 40+mbps that I am paying for, and not some throttled shit where I can't even load a 1080p video if I don't allow it to buffer for 10 minutes. Or not being able to even watch a stream on Twitch.tv on the 720p+ option.

---------- Post added 2013-02-24 at 12:38 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    I'm more curious what those IPs are used for in the first place...
    These are the IPs that are basically throttled for YouTube and Twitch.tv. (From what I got from the thread on Reddit)
    Last edited by Klutzington; 2013-02-24 at 05:42 PM.

but dont nuke a whole class b just because someone on reddit told you to
    Doing it to test what happens is fine, especially since you can just undo it if it poses problems down the line.

find the IP of the server
    How would you do this?

Quote Originally Posted by Klutzington View Post
    These are the IPs that are basically throttled for YouTube.
    If YouTube are throttling these IPs why would that impact you? I don't get this.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    If YouTube are throttling these IPs why would that impact you? I don't get this.
    Honestly, I don't even know who is throttling those IPs, but this fix bypasses them altogether.

If they are part of the path that the data takes when being retrieved, then the bottle-neck server will limit the traffic of all users that have data routed through it. Like a road intersection that is always congested will make your journey take longer, even if the highway is empty either side of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    If they are part of the path that the data takes when being retrieved, then the bottle-neck server will limit the traffic of all users that have data routed through it. Like a road intersection that is always congested will make your journey take longer, even if the highway is empty either side of it.
    Just didn't think it was possible to force a different routing path by just blocking an IP on the way, I would think that you would end up just being cut off instead.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

10+ Year Old Account
    But anyway guys, I have it blocked in my firewall (look at the first picture), and the speeds will not pick up. I even tested blocking the IP of reddit (that supposedly would make it so you cannot connect to reddit), but I was still able to go to reddit. Even though I have defined this as a rule in my firewall, could it be possible that a higher rule is letting this through?

If anything, could you instruct me on how to block these in my router (the second screenshot). . . if going through my firewall doesn't work.

---------- Post added 2013-02-24 at 12:46 PM ----------

Just didn't think it was possible to force a different routing path by just blocking an IP on the way, I would think that you would end up just being cut off instead.
    That is supposed to happen, but YouTube is affiliated with google, and when it doesn't get sent through the IP it wants to, it "reverts" to a better connection through google supposedly.

Can you provide a screenshot of the IP filtering page in your router? And also the firewall page of the router.

Wow this is awesome. I followed the directions in the first and second post and Youtube actually streams now instead of needing to pause them for 5 minutes to download without buffering.

Gershuun @ Borean Tundra US - Interface & Macros Moderator

10+ Year Old Account
    most likely what this is a caching server owned by an ISP, and it's probably under heavy load

a couple things to keep in mind
    not every video on youtube gets the high speed treatment, low viewed user videos get lower priority and are stored on a hard disk, these take forever to load regardless of router or connection

if your ISP is using a cache server, you need to route around it with a proxy or VPN, simply blocking a subnet will just end up causing problems

about reddit:
    reddit is a hive mind where things are upvoted based on how much people like them, doesn't matter if its true or not

anyone can say "source: im a sysadmin" and people tend to believe it, even if what they are posting is total BS, and reddit's technical forums are pretty bad, but again, this goes back to the hive mind thing

reddit's technical sections are also bad because they are mainly populated with computer science majors, not that there is anything wrong with CS, but its a separate field from IT, networking, and security

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lawomous View Post
    Wow this is awesome. I followed the directions in the first and second post and Youtube actually streams now instead of needing to pause them for 5 minutes to download without buffering.
    It feels like I am the only one with this problem. :/

---------- Post added 2013-02-24 at 01:09 PM ----------

most likely what this is a caching server owned by an ISP, and it's probably under heavy load

a couple things to keep in mind
    not every video on youtube gets the high speed treatment, low viewed user videos get lower priority and are stored on a hard disk, these take forever to load regardless of router or connection
    I just tried to load Gangnam Style (over 1 billion views) and the maximum speed I got was 2 megs.
    Last edited by Klutzington; 2013-02-24 at 06:18 PM.

Never had an issue with this, most probably your ISP having issues from the get-go routing to YT servers or they are under heavy load etc.

I can run multiple(3-4) 1080p+ streams and Youtube 1080p/Original without any lag.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can you provide a screenshot of the IP filtering page in your router? And also the firewall page of the router.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Klutzington View Post

is that a gateway provided by your ISP?

10+ Year Old Account
    is that a gateway provided by your ISP?
    Yes. The router was supplied by the ISP (Brighthouse) and I was not sure if I was able to do this specific bypass on this router. If that is the problem, should I go buy a new router?