Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Splinter Cell: Blacklist

Hey guys, just wanted to share some info about the upcoming game, Splinter Cell: Blacklist. The developer is Ubisoft. The release date is set at August 20th, 2013.

Trailer Video:

Gameplay Video released by Ubisoft June 2012:

Official website (I think).

-----

I personally love stealth games and it looks super sick! I don't remember that aiming reticle being active all the time though even while not aiming your gun, I don't like that. But the way you move and shoot people in slow motion is crazy lol.

Deleted
    I miss Chaos Theory

Haha I know you guys don't care about Splinter Cell too much, but @@@ I do.

Here is the trailer for Blacklists multiplayer, Spies vs. Mercs:

The way I understand it is that it's either a 2v2 or 4v4 match where you play as a 3rd person spy, trying to hide in the shadows and hack information and stuff (and you have weak firepower), or you play as a merc, which is basically a first-person-shooter, trying to find and kill the spies. Seems pretty cool.

Spies vs. Mercs. <3 Looks amazing. Unfortunately, since it's Ubisoft, I'll have to pass. But it looks great.

*whistles*

So. Tomorrow is Splinter Cell's release date.

Although I'll admit...part of me wants Saints Row first. I don't think I'll get them both now.

15+ Year Old Account
    Looks pretty good, I didn't realize it comes out tomorrow - I may have to buy it, but I feel so behind on games lately!

Chaos Theory was very good - but I think the Conviction execute-system is an honest improvement to the franchise (and Hitman apparently agrees since they completely ripped it off in Absolution).

One thing I dislike though since Conviction (and apparently in Blacklist too I see) - is the de-emphasis on hiding corpses and stealth. It borders on Call of Duty single player - sure you *can* ghost your way through a dude or two, but then why not just run through town hucking people off rooftops and auto'ing people down with an unsilenced weapon: leaving bodies where they lie. That's dumb.

I'd prefer to see a combination of Convictions execute-system and superior tactical AI should you be seen, with Splinter Cell and Chaos Theories greater emphasis on true stealth. If you get spotted, the mission shouldn't instantly be over (unless thats a special mission parameter) - but it should be extremely hard to live through the enemy response if the alarm goes off: with Conviction (and presumably Blacklist), it's a minor inconvienence - and sometimes its honestly faster - to just run-and-gun through what should be a stealth game.

I'll still have to play it though.. love stealth games
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

10+ Year Old Account
    im hopeing i get to download the thing at midnight, i got it free for ordering one of the 700 series Nivida cards

- - - Updated - - -

hm guess not, there not relaying any news atm of why no one that got it from Uplay can play it yet.. that and their own store is down and is displaying a release date of 22nd heh

suppose i can wait, i did get a 70$ delux edition for free
    Omians- 70 Troll Enhancement shaman, Emerald Dream

15+ Year Old Account
    By the way if anyone is curious I spent a few hours playing it last night - and - at least so far - it's gunning for the title of 'best stealth game ever' as far as I'm concerned.

Very impressive so far, highly recommended!

If anyone figures out what 'ULC' stands for on some of the unlockable guns, let me know though - I love G36C's and I can't figure out what path to take to unlock it. The best guess I made was Ubisoft-Loadable Content.

Then again like 90% of Splinter Cells are knife/pistol wetwork - but you still have to spend all game staring at your alternate weapon on your back - it should look cool

Deleted
    I got Splinter Cell: Blacklist and the previous title when I bought my GTX 760. Do I need to play previous titles to get it? IS it even worth playing?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Platinus View Post
    I got Splinter Cell: Blacklist and the previous title when I bought my GTX 760. Do I need to play previous titles to get it? IS it even worth playing?
    You should be able to jump directly into this one without backstory / lore

Edit:

Also, I bet it's beautiful on a GTX 760 - this is the first game I've had to turn the graphics down for - and even on "Low" it's pretty. (I could do Medium probably but, I was getting <20 FPS on High and was frustrated)
    Last edited by Yvaelle; 2013-08-21 at 05:56 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Huh. It made the front page of CBC News.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/st...t-toronto.html

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

10+ Year Old Account
    Just gunna leave this here On cells, and their Splintering.

Liked the advert though, I've not played SC since the first, but this one looks like it could bring me back to the fold.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

15+ Year Old Account
    Interesting read - kind of surprised it's at only 82 on Metacritic - but from the low reviews I'm seeing, the complaints are all about the game being over-the-top at the end.

That's definitely a complaint I understand - but I haven't gotten to the end of the game yet.

The better way to write a stealth plot is to tell us all the wars that didn't happen, all the bombs that didn't explode, all the attacks that we never knew about: without coming off like your S'ing the CIA's D.

Too many games go way too big with their plot lately - Modern Warfare 1 was the best CoD single player in the series - and it was also the least explosive in plot: that made it good. Then in 2 and 3 and Black Ops 2 it's like there is a half-dozen different planet-destroying apocalypses to stop: and you're the only one who can do anything about any of them - boring (terrible writing).

*spoilers ahead*

Mass Effect suffers from this somewhat as well - but handles it far better by making more external characters (NPCs) who are getting stuff done as well (ie. Illusive Man, Miranda, Kai Leng) - so even though it comes across as though the galaxy is about to end at any moment, and Shepherd is the only humanoid capable of doing anything to stop it - you have other characters with their own motives who appear equally capable: and sometimes win. Probably one of the best story-points in Mass Effect 3 was when Kai Leng beats you - because it demonstrates that - capable though Shepherd is - he's not the king of combat. Just the same way that being constantly a few steps behind or out-played by the Illusive Man makes Shepherd appear - capable, but not the best strategist. Even on his own side - he's not the best combination of the two (Miranda, Samara).

So, even though Mass Effect 2 and 3 are written over-the-top - by making good use of compelling and capable enemies/allies - it avoids the trap of making the player appear to be the only non-idiot in the universe. Splinter Cell: Conviction fell into that trap. Metal Gear for example avoids it by making Snake extremely competent as a generalist - but surpassed in every expertise by someone else: usually an enemy.

I suspect that they are setting up Blacklist to avoid the trap of bad writing in this sense ('Sam Fisher is the best at all the things and has no weaknesses'), but I could definitely see them falling into the trap of making the plot too over-the-top and absurd. Sometimes over-the-top stakes are good for wargames (Modern Warfare 1, Black Ops 2, Battlefield 3) - but a spy / stealth game should emphasize intrigue and subtlety - not explosions and wars. It's harder to write a good intrigue plot though, I suspect it's just laziness that drives writers to do it - it's an easy way to raise the stakes: but it's a trap.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    Just gunna leave this here On cells, and their Splintering.

Liked the advert though, I've not played SC since the first, but this one looks like it could bring me back to the fold.
    It works because the bots even on normal aren't 'stuipd' - in that if you are crouching around a corner in a bright room they see you before they round the corner - so it's critical to know when you are in a shadow sufficiently to not be detected before you are in melee range - it's a game mechanic and the lights provide an intuitive indicator for it - but ya it would obviously be silly IRL. Then again - all the SC's have featured the giant glowing green goggles that should be a pretty obvious indicator to anyone who sees them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post
    You should be able to jump directly into this one without backstory / lore

Edit:

Also, I bet it's beautiful on a GTX 760 - this is the first game I've had to turn the graphics down for - and even on "Low" it's pretty. (I could do Medium probably but, I was getting <20 FPS on High and was frustrated)
    What are you running it on? Would a 760 be able to max it?

Saw this during Conan's Clueless Gamer bit on the game. My mind is blown that this is a thing, and that it's apparently been in previous games. Like...do we need to be told what cover is? I'm assuming 99.99% of people who are playing this have played a video game before, and probably one with shooting, so it should be kinda obvious...

First response I had was, "Yup, video games are dead now. Time to pack it up and move on." -_-

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post

Saw this during Conan's Clueless Gamer bit on the game. My mind is blown that this is a thing, and that it's apparently been in previous games. Like...do we need to be told what cover is? I'm assuming 99.99% of people who are playing this have played a video game before, and probably one with shooting, so it should be kinda obvious...

First response I had was, "Yup, video games are dead now. Time to pack it up and move on." -_-
    You realize that's from the tutorial mission though, right? it doesn't write "Cover" on every piece of cover in the game - but when your trying to teach newbies what button to press to hide in cover - it helps to point out to them what counts as cover

10+ Year Old Account
    Like...do we need to be told what cover is? I'm assuming 99.99% of people who are playing this have played a video game before, and probably one with shooting, so it should be kinda obvious...
    Probably because a lot of games are "Cover? What would I need cover for? I'm just going in blasting full auto and killing every motherfucker in the room!".

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Ah, yeah that was in Conviction too. It's actually quite a stylish way to dole out the basics to people without actually stopping the game too often. I must admit, I liked the aesthetic of it; it's like the credits of certain movies of recent years, where actor's names or such are plastered across buildings, walls and the like, as if they've always been there.

As to tutorials in general, meh.

Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post
    You realize that's from the tutorial mission though, right? it doesn't write "Cover" on every piece of cover in the game - but when your trying to teach newbies what button to press to hide in cover - it helps to point out to them what counts as cover
    I can understand tutorials going into some of the game specific mechanics, but like...the fact that people need to be told how to move and what cover is in modern games makes me cry huge, massive salty tears ;_;

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    mechanically speaking, i am convinced this new splinter cell will be superior to conviction, it's a return to the root of splinter cell, stealth and shadow, only modernize. This, i'm happy.

i have seen somewhat the first half hour of a let's play, now i'm sure; it's gonna take me some major effort to accept the new face and voice of sam fisher.