How exactly are abilities like Spinning Crane Kick and Fists of Fury monk like?

When I think of a monk, I think of precise and skillful martial arts combat. Like, "every strike counts" kind of thing.

Not just putting a leg out, spinning randomly, hoping to hit something.
    Or standing in one spot hitting the air over and over, once again hoping to hit something.
    Where is the precison or skill there?

Or is it just me?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upwyWKzozII @ 1:27 is a fists of fury.
    As far as Spinning crane kick goes, it's a move designed by blizzard to fill the roll of monk aoe. Gameplay in this case won out over things like lore and class design.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fists of Fury is basically just rapid punching, something that has been a trope of martial arts since forever. Spinning Crane Kick work well enough, AOE by definition is something that is not skillful.

Not all martial arts require precise skill, some of them focus on brute force and overwhelming power.

10+ Year Old Account
    SPC is simply an efficient leg sweep, made brutal by the powah of CHI!

No, seriously.
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Calzaeth View Post
    SPC is simply an efficient leg sweep, made brutal by the powah of CHI!

No, seriously.
    Basically yeah, we can't really apply real-life martial arts to WoW Monks with perfect accuracy. Chi is basically MAGIC!.

15+ Year Old Account
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQZHgr9V5Hc

Hell, early developer notes for MoP stated they wanted monks to have a "Street Fighter" feel to them.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

If Monks were made to be "realistic", then they would be extremely boring.

Hell, anything "cool" about martial arts isn't very realistic at all.

Deleted
    spinning crane kick is ridiculous, but think of it representing combination kicks against multiple attackers. The animation is retarded, but then its not like wow is realistic anyway!

---------- Post added 2013-02-25 at 10:49 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Grading View Post

true. In a real fight you dont kick above knee level generally and there is no showy stuff at all.

---------- Post added 2013-02-25 at 10:51 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Xifangbaihu View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upwyWKzozII @ 1:27 is a fists of fury.
    As far as Spinning crane kick goes, it's a move designed by blizzard to fill the roll of monk aoe. Gameplay in this case won out over things like lore and class design.
    that clip is hilarous. Wing chun is really not like that at all, in fact its as far from that as its possible to get!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xihuitl View Post
    spinning crane kick is ridiculous, but think of it representing combination kicks against multiple attackers. The animation is retarded, but then its not like wow is realistic anyway!

---------- Post added 2013-02-25 at 10:49 AM ----------

true. In a real fight you dont kick above knee level generally and there is no showy stuff at all.

---------- Post added 2013-02-25 at 10:51 AM ----------

that clip is hilarous. Wing chun is really not like that at all, in fact its as far from that as its possible to get!

dunno who you've been fighting/watching fight =p

Deleted
    SCK is tatsumaki somethingjapanese from Street fighter games, the move Ken/Ryu/Akuma make with qcb+k

It's true that the wow devs did want monks to see Street fighter like, You can compare Fists of Fury with E-honda's thousand palm strike, Rising sun kick is a copy of Guile's flash kick, and of course you can compair Spinning crane kick to akuma/ryu/ken spinkick or Tatsumaki-Senpū kyaku. Chi burst is a carbon copy of Ryu/ken Hadoken. I'd even say they took some insperation from Mortal Kombat too, Grapple weapon = Scorpion's spear, Serpent kick looks alot like Liu Kang's Flying kick. It appears someone at Blizz loves fighting games

10+ Year Old Account
    WoW monks are really just a hodgepodge of street fighter and mortal kombat characters rather than actual monks.

---------- Post added 2013-02-25 at 05:45 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Grading View Post

Yeah, as much as I love kung fu movies, a great many of them are very unrealistic in comparison as to how an actual kung fu fight actually plays out. Same can be said for most melee fights.
    Last edited by Loaf Lord; 2013-02-25 at 05:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dingobongo View Post
    When I think of a monk, I think of precise and skillful martial arts combat. Like, "every strike counts" kind of thing.

Not just putting a leg out, spinning randomly, hoping to hit something.
    Or standing in one spot hitting the air over and over, once again hoping to hit something.
    Where is the precison or skill there?

Or is it just me?
    Step one: Open up macros page for your monk
    Step two: type /cast Fists of Fury
    Step three: On a new line, type /y ATATATATATATATATATATATATA
    Step four: see if anyone "gets it"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by blackblade View Post

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by blackblade View Post
    You are already dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikkaszal View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQZHgr9V5Hc

Hell, early developer notes for MoP stated they wanted monks to have a "Street Fighter" feel to them.
    Yup, and this is what makes it the awsome signature ability of the monks in my opinion. It's actually an awsome sort of easter egg

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    For that matter how is a warrior in plate leaping all over the place anything like real life. C'mon Blizzard I want more realism from my toons.
    At least monks have an explanation with chi. With warriors it's just like "lul I can defy gravity and shoot lightning out of my ass because fuck logic."

I think people are forgetting that Chi Torpedo is also M. Bison's Psycho Crusher. The Rolling is also something that was introduced in Street Fighter with Ken back in Street Fighter Alpha 2.

I think you're getting hung up on the class label "Monk." It's really just a short form name Blizzard decided to use to exemplify every martial artist ever, and I think it's cool. Every time I use flying serpent kick I make the LIU KANG sound from mortal kombat.

Quote Originally Posted by Roggles View Post
    At least monks have an explanation with chi. With warriors it's just like "lul I can defy gravity and shoot lightning out of my ass because fuck logic."
    I have no idea why, but this made me laugh. I can just picture it now: Some orc warrior flying through the air "FUCK LOGIC, LOK'TAR OGAR. BLOOD AND THUNDER"
    Quote Originally Posted by Melodi View Post
    I see people type out druid(s) as "dudu." So, my class is now reduced to a pile of crap (doo doo)? What?