Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Should Rep be tied to specific heroic dungeons?

You know how in TBC, each rep were tied to a certain set of heroic dungeons?

So for example, Honor Hold rep was tied to running Hellfire Citadel dungeons. Cenarian Expedition was tied to the Coilfang dungeons, and so forth. Wouldn't it be a logical thing for blizzard to tie interested factions rep to the dungeons their story and lore are tied to?

It was brilliant design in TBC, why wouldn't it be now?

It wasn't brilliant design. When someone wants one faction and someone wants another faction the group ends up going nowhere. That's why they introduced tabards so that it wouldn't matter what dungeon you went to.

It was horrible design. Grinding the exact same dungeons was a horrible experience.

It was better design than dailies but so were Tabards. I'd gladly take the tbc design though, in a fucking heart beat.

15+ Year Old Account
    It added more story to the dungeon, yea, suprinsgly, for me, getting little reps for killing mods in a particular instance added story and lore. It was a neat design, but there would still be complaints, like spamming Mana Tombs for Consortium rep.

---------- Post added 2013-03-01 at 09:23 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by yjmark View Post
    It was horrible design. Grinding the exact same dungeons was a horrible experience.
    Either way you grind them, for gear, for rep, for valor/justice points...

Nty. I don't like grinding heroics every day, day after day and get exalted within a few days. That is not good design.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

Quote Originally Posted by Naidia View Post
    Either way you grind them, for gear, for rep, for valor/justice points...
    No you don't. I haven't run a heroic in over a month.

Also, when you do grind heroics now, you get a choice from all of them. In TBC - you had to pick the one that gave you the rep you wanted. So you only had 3 to choose from. It made getting a group together take forever. It was very limiting design.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    With the random dungeon system it would be better to just reimplement rep tabards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    I don't like grinding heroics every day, day after day and get exalted within a few days.
    Then don't do that?

Quote Originally Posted by vertex705 View Post
    Then don't do it?
    And get rep how?

nope, heroic dungeons aren't heroic like TBC, in tbc if my hunter got aggro i could die in 1-2 hits literally 5k crits from hellfire ramparts dogs and a 400 dmg/3 sec bleed..from 1 mob.

now in MoP i can solo packs of mobs on my ele shaman, i've solo'd hc darkmaster gandling when my party wiped i couldn't be bothered with the scrubs so i solo'd it...he doesn't teleport me, only does immolate no melee attacks...faceroll, when could u solo a TBC 5 man hc boss this early into the x-pac? BT/SWP gear yes....but the first tier no, TBC hcs =/= mop hcs, therefore they shouldn't be treated alike.

God no. That was an awful design in the BC. I remember having to pull teeth with guildies just to get my Lower City rep.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    And get rep how?
    It'd be fine as long as it's not the sole route to rep like dailies aren't now, in WotLK and Cata there were dailies you could do instead. Don't make dungeons the only way to get rep like I think OP suggested.

EDIT: Isn't this the same argument people were making against MoP dailies?
    Last edited by bohapjut; 2013-03-01 at 09:47 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by yjmark View Post
    No you don't. I haven't run a heroic in over a month.

Also, when you do grind heroics now, you get a choice from all of them. In TBC - you had to pick the one that gave you the rep you wanted. So you only had 3 to choose from. It made getting a group together take forever. It was very limiting design.
    Well yea, TBC didn't have dungeon finder, so yes, it took forever. If it did, you'd still have the same one choice, choosing which rep you want, and then just queuing for those dungeons that gave said rep.

MSV would be Golden Lotus, Siege of Niuzao Temple and Shado Pan Monastery is Shado Pan. I guess Temple of the Jade Serpent is August Celestials.

SM and Scholo dont really tie in with any. and I can't figure out which one would give Klaxxi rep, not that it's needed since you can get to honored by questing without the commendation, and get to revered with it.

In TBC you could get to honored with the various 5 man reps just by questing, well maybe not keepers of time but definitely Thrallmar/Honor Hold, Cenarion Expedition, Lower City, and I'm fairly sure if you could get to honored with Sha'tar from quest (you might of had to zone hope for it), after that you had to grind the dungeons to get the rep to get to Revered to buy the keys to unlock Heroic versions of the instances. This was later lowered to Honored.

Through the course of leveling my toons, I generally find myself honored with Thrallmar, Cenarion Expedition, Lower City and almost honored with Sha'tar, this is before I have even set foot in any of the dungeons associated with these reps.

This is part of my biggest issue with the current mop reps. Of the main ones, on your first play through on your first toon, you can only get 1 of them to Honored, that being Klaxxi. Shado Pan I think you can only get Honored with by questing if you are a human. And Golden Lotus and August Celestials you cant even get to friendly without doing dailies.

If you could get all of them to honored simply by doing the regular quests in the zones, much like you could in TBC, it would make it so you didn't have to do quite as much grinding, and you would stand to pick up a few decent upgrades quickly.
    My name is Cernunnos, I will love you like no other, I have died a thousand deaths, each time I died I thought of you.

TBC's dungeon rep design was fricking horrible. Even Argent Dawn rep in Vanilla was better, and that was horrible too. I'd rather scoop out my eyes with a rusty melon baller than go through that again.

its fine as is.

but making entry level justice/valor gear tied to rep was a stupid idea.

if gear requires rep to get it should only require gold to purchase, and justice/valor gear should be obtainable regardless of rep.

this was only made worse when they walled two factions off behind GL-rev for access to their dailies.

current system is fine, but no more locking justice/valor gear behind rep requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by Naidia View Post
    Well yea, TBC didn't have dungeon finder, so yes, it took forever. If it did, you'd still have the same one choice, choosing which rep you want, and then just queuing for those dungeons that gave said rep.
    So, your queue times would increase significantly since you reduced the variations you are queing for. Also, you get burnt out running only a select few dungeons for a long period of time (remember the troll dungeons in Cata?).

The biggest issue is lack of variety for a task you have to repeat. The less variety, the worse it becomes. Tying rep to specific dungeons significantly reduces variety.

Now, from a story standpoint, it makes perfect sense. And with LFD, it would make it easier. Meh....I guess I change my mind. I'd be up for it :P Just prep for the QQ storm....lol

And get rep how?
    Do your crappy dailies. I'm all for you having shitty dailies for you to do to go as slow as you like. I'd just like to have the option to have a tabard and grind as much rep as I can in a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Leonard McCoy View Post
    Do your crappy dailies. I'm all for you having shitty dailies for you to do to go as slow as you like. I'd just like to have the option to have a tabard and grind as much rep as I can in a day.
    You can have your tabard if you have a limit on how much rep you get from your shitty dungeons. Have fun killing the same mobs over and over and over pal.

Quote Originally Posted by Leonard McCoy View Post
    and im opposed to tabard being handed out like candy and rep being a non-issue.

a tabard should be REWARD, not a fucking rep boost item.
    if you want to grind thats fine, but not in heroics.

you can grind both klaxxi and GL rep to exalted in a day if you know how.

but heroics giving rep,valor/justice, and gear is far too much reward.