Thread: Windlord Help

Cool Windlord Help

I guess I should of asked this a long time ago as we are doing heroic now but oh well...

Once the change was made from fire to arcane my dps on Windlord BLOWS. I know fire is crazy AOE damage but as arcane I am usually dead last on the fight.

Any tips on what I could do to make it better?

Right now I use RoP, Nether tempest with glyph to spread when using blast. Also I am one of the CC'rs, but that usually doesn't hurt my dps TOO much, but does a little bit. I am fire as my other spec, should I just spec fire even though I'm gemmed/forged for Arcane/Mastery?

Here is a link to my bad mage

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Blackxtyrown/

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Davetron View Post
    -snip-
    Logs would be more helpful to be honest, but firstly don't use NT with Fire Blast glyph, it's near-useless; take Living Bomb instead and spread it with that. Or, alternatively, take Frost Bomb and just use it on cooldown.

Arcane strength is in single target, not AoE, so on Windlord (both HC and normal) you'll do better during P2/Burst phases.

Are you doing the right arcane rotation? My guild bloodlusts on the first weakness, so that's when I pop all my CDs.
    I've only done him once without having been on dispel-duty, so I couldn't show you logs - but the one time I was weapons free, I ended on top.

I use frost bomb.

Deleted
    I use LB glyphed and spread it, then single target DPS.

You're dps will be balanced when you are dpsing the boss. Keep you cooldowns for recklessness if heroic.
    If not heroic, you'll be middle of the pack or lower while aoeing, but at the end of P2 you should be near the top. On my tank has higher dps and thats because we single tank the adds and vengeance is lolol

I usually end up doing around 170k dps on normal (490 ilvl)
    Last edited by mmoc70ab634a7b; 2013-02-25 at 03:49 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I use Frostbomb and the sha trinket instead of light. I am also on dispell duty and CC duty. I do fine considering all the intuptions I have. I focus fire on one add as the dps spreads and Frostbomb on every cooldown (after the tanks get aggro). Frostbomb does a lot of aoe damage and worth using if you can.

If you dont have another trinket than light, I have used Flamestrike to create the procs instead.

We lusted on the first weakness as well. Imo, the best time as you can generally get some CDs in before he does some wind bombs.
    Playing
    WildStar -Mechari Medic, Draken Stalker
    Diablo: RoS
    GW2 - Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by Eihwaz View Post
    I use LB glyphed and spread it, then single target DPS.

You're dps will be balanced when you are dpsing the boss. Keep you cooldowns for recklessness if heroic.
    If not heroic, you'll be middle of the pack or lower while aoeing, but at the end of P2 you should be near the top. On my tank has higher dps and thats because we single tank the adds and vengeance is lolol

I usually end up doing around 170k dps on normal (490 ilvl)
    I'll try this out if we do HOF tonight and i'll let ya know how it goes.

Thank You!

The only aoe I use is living bomb and spread it every refresh. Save CDs for burn phase also since ur ccing make sure to refresh cc right b4 burn phase starts just so u can keep good uptime on boss

Deleted
    We got the kill few weeks ago. Our tactic was to CC the trappers which let me to stay on close range. Playing haste RoP.

Like mentioned above, use LB and spread it. Use Flamestrike and spam AE until 6 stacks --> barrage. Go for single target rotation when first set of adds are on low hp and blink away so melee team won't have problems with your windbombs. Save CD's until you get a kill from 1 set of adds.

Haven't played for a while now but I know it works.

Deleted
    I believe using barrage on windlord is a dps boost only if you are mastery, otherwise it's better to single target dps.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eihwaz View Post
    I believe using barrage on windlord is a dps boost only if you are mastery, otherwise it's better to single target dps.
    Could be yeah, but for me it has been working great. Got some close to top WoL logs from normal version from time ago where the AOE phase lasts longer where I was using Barrage and it did roughly as much dmg done as Flamestrike. The thing is, it isn't much of a differense in hc. You can cast roughly 1 Barrage before first burn phase starts and boss goes down to 70% fast.

I don't know which gear you have, but if you have a haste heavy setup you may consider Frost for Windlord. Frostorbs damage is just insanse and Ice Lance cleaving is also very nice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just go Frost bomb and make sure you use it on CD all the time. I was Arcane Frost bomb and got rank 30 something with 495 ilvl

What I do for Heroic Windlord is use living bomb, use fireblast to spread the dot, arcane blast the main target up to 6 charges (using any missiles right away to get the charge up to 6), use arcane barrage and repeat til we reach the first rage or weakness. When he reaches that part, I use all my cooldowns and do my regular rotation on the boss while spreading my dots still, and when the weakness debuff has like 2-3 seconds left I use my arcane barrage and repeat the first part. I'm in a 25 man guild and I usually top meters doing this.
    Ordelin-Ignis Aurum Probat (Mal'Ganis)

Deleted
    Why would you waste a GCD spreading LB when you're doing +600% DMG on your single target? When I last checked, top arcane rank was using NT.

15+ Year Old Account
    Kill the add set you're on.. (healer or blademasters)

at like 5% left, move to boss. single target.. buff drops off, go back to adds.. repeat.

Hey Davetron,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble, but good news is: there's no reason an arcane mage shouldn't be able to do just as well as a fire mage on this fight. I currently hold the highest ranked US arcane parse for heroic Windlord. My guild cleaves enough that we push two damage phases back to back, for this reason I run glyphed arcane power.

Some tips:

1. Try to get a living bomb to spread of the boss to two adds roughly 10 seconds before the burn phase, that way the bombs all explode and RNG willing you have all of them hit the boss while he's taking extra damage (no downside here since you set it up before the burn)

2. Don't cleave while the boss is taking extra damage (sure, you can get lucky and proc the explosion on the boss from the extra living bombs, but that's unlikely)

3. Unless there's another damage phase coming up within 8 seconds, fire off your 6 stack ABar right at about 2~ seconds left of his debuff for maximum damage

Expression editor is an amazing tool for breaking down logs, here's an example of my best kill.

On a side note: From week to week I like to experiment with dropping stacks at six before the burn vs. camping 6 vs. arcane explosion in the cleave phase. So far I've had the best luck with dropping at 6 but the difference seems very minimal.