Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

gw2lfg.com proves there should be an in-game cross server LFG tool that works correct

Creating a party without the website, is beyond retarded and not having the tool in-game now just seems like developers being lazy. The LFG tool they built in is pathetic and worthless and if you're one of those "Well it's gonna ruin the community" please do the rest a favor and just go away. The fact this game has cross server grouping and instances is enough to show they don't care about your home server when forging a group for dungeons.

Is it gonna be like WoW's or like the gw2lfg one? Because at least the website requires you to talk to people.
    Last edited by LilSaihah; 2013-02-25 at 03:47 PM.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

I think they'll probably do something like GW1, but I'm pretty sure I've seen them say it's not a top priority, so better have some patience.
    Last edited by grandpab; 2013-02-25 at 04:12 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    With over 2.2 million groups formed with gw2lfg since they launched the app a couple months ago, it's clear that it's a feature desired by many players. Colin Johanson has even stated that he used it and liked it!

What's nice about it, is that:
    1) It doesn't port you to the instance
    2) You get a small space to specify what you are looking for in a group
    3) Groups form instantly - within 1 or 2 minutes (highlights the benefits of not having a trinity)

I rarely use it since I'm in a big active guild, but the 2 times that I did it was great

But I agree that having this ingame is a fluff QoL feature, not a top priority for the devs.
    Valar morghulis

An lfg tool is indeed needed, a wow like lfd tool isn't.

Whether it's automated joining, or just lists your group under a tab, I don't really care. The game needs something built in because a THIRD PARTY WEBSITE is pathetic.

And I can't even believe the system they have built in now. That is the most laziest thing ever developed from a AAA mmo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Libertarian View Post
    Whether it's automated joining, or just lists your group under a tab, I don't really care. The game needs something built in because a THIRD PARTY WEBSITE is pathetic.

And I can't even believe the system they have built in now. That is the most laziest thing ever developed from a AAA mmo.

Lazier than going 5 years without one at all? ;-)
    Valar morghulis

When you design a LFG tool in a game youll find that barely anyone uses it. Do you know why everyone uses blizzards? Because it does everything for you. It finds the roles you need, It puts you into the dungeon you want to go to and all at the push of one button.

Why dont regular LFG tools work? because are not in your face like blizzards is. Anet has you go through your contacts icon and select a status that puts a group icon over your characters head and im guessing lists other players who are doing the same that are nearby. Well thats not very effective because its limited to the map your on and proximity to other players.

Most players dont huddle at the dungeon they want to run to find a group, They did that at AC at launch but the playerbase is way more spread out and most groups form in LA through the Map Chat.

If Anet wants to make a proper LFG tool they need to add an Icon to the top row of icons. In that it should have tabs for Dungeons, WvW, Spvp, PvE. In each Tab it should list the different dungeons, the different WvW maps, the different pVE zones, and paid and free spvp.

It should then let you select what you would like to list your name in. And then once you are listed it will show all the characters in NA or EU that are looking for that dungeon. Once you join a party however it will take your name out and only list the party leaders name.

So groups that have 3 ppl cant list their group and pick from the players that are listed. And other players can /join other players to form groups quick.

I think this works very similar to gw2lfg.com but doesnt have the automated feel WoW since youll also be able to pick and choose what players you go with instead of it being completly random. For instance your going for a CoF set and you know that X and Y players are pretty bad and see them on the list constantly as you aquire your set. You can choose not to group with them.
    Last edited by Zeek Daniels; 2013-02-25 at 05:44 PM.

Do you know what everyone uses blizzards? Because it does everything for you. It finds the roles you need, It puts you into the dungeon you want to go to and all at the push of one button.
    Heh. A former developer for Everquest once said the same thing. In the interview he cited several examples of grouping tools across multiple games that were met with less success than Warcraft's LFD. And according to this developer when they did market research on it the overwhelming sentiment was that WoW's LFD made grouping more desirable because it did all of the work at the push of 1 button.

So you are on the money about this w/r/t WoW LFD tool it seems.

I thought that was a fascinating piece of information.

Have no real strong opinion on LFG tools myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Libertarian View Post
    Creating a party without the website, is beyond retarded and not having the tool in-game now just seems like developers being lazy. The LFG tool they built in is pathetic and worthless and if you're one of those "Well it's gonna ruin the community" please do the rest a favor and just go away. The fact this game has cross server grouping and instances is enough to show they don't care about your home server when forging a group for dungeons.
    which is exactly what Blizzard did with crossrealm. Instead of AXEING lower pop "dead" server and putting these people on server that are medium or highly imbalanced faction wise so that "SERVER" thrives within its on community NO a cheap feature to jam people into zones because "the zones were not designed to be empty we want a lot of players leveling in the same zone" but not the actual people you would play with?

when enough people stop playing they will fix it. gw2 needs some endgame pve for it to even be fun. i mean basically you buy the game to level to max then stop.
    "I'm Tru @ w/e I do" ~ TM

Quote Originally Posted by tru View Post
    i mean basically you buy the game to level to max then stop.
    You might, and that's fine for you, but that's not the design of the game. Sorry you need the game to tell you what you need to do to have fun, though

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

10+ Year Old Account
    i mean basically you buy the game to level to max then stop.

I guess you could play the game that way, but then you'd be missing all the fun
    Valar morghulis

I imagine the lfg tool they are making will be similar to GW1's party search function, but will work across the whole game and all servers. I seriously doubt it will auto group you though, so you'll have to use some social skills to finalize the group.

when enough people stop playing
    Good luck with that, GW2 is pretty damn popular.

That said, I'm with Fencers on this; neutrality is my policy.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    I imagine the lfg tool they are making will be similar to GW1's party search function, but will work across the whole game and all servers. I seriously doubt it will auto group you though, so you'll have to use some social skills to finalize the group.
    That's what I hope for, because the GW1 party search feature was exactly what a LFG tool should be. It gives you the opportunity to find others easily, listing what you are doing, while still putting the onus on the player to actually communicate and find people.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

10+ Year Old Account
    2.2 million groups in the span of a few months? Sounds like they're doing pretty well to me. I see no reason to put this in game.

Keep the players tabbing out to talk to others. Keep them community minded. I don't think I'd mind terribly if something like this was added to the game, as long as they kept the social aspect of it alive. However at the moment, I'm perfectly happy with it exactly the way it is.
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Heh. A former developer for Everquest once said the same thing. In the interview he cited several examples of grouping tools across multiple games that were met with less success than Warcraft's LFD. And according to this developer when they did market research on it the overwhelming sentiment was that WoW's LFD made grouping more desirable because it did all of the work at the push of 1 button.

So you are on the money about this w/r/t WoW LFD tool it seems.

I thought that was a fascinating piece of information.

Have no real strong opinion on LFG tools myself.

Also remember WoW used to have (maybe it still does) a old Raid finding tool that no one used. It listed all the old raids and even the current ones at the time and you would only see like 1 or 2 names on there at a time. Even though you would see multiple people spamming in trade chats in the cities not many would actually use the tool thats supposed to help you find people. But once LFR came out everyone used it, mostly because it was so similar to the LFD tool they were already using but also because it took the human part of finding ppl for 10-15-30 minutes out of it and you could go about your business and wait for the Queue to pop.

My only request for cross realm LFG is an option to group with people from your server if possible. Otherwise, I'm with those who'd prefer the tool to do everything for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    While I don't think you need to be teleported, there needs to be some sort of hand holding getting to where ever the instance is. For instance maybe markers on your map like you see doing your story quests so you know where to go. Otherwise people who haven't done the content are going to get kicks from groups because they don't know where to go and since there is no holy trinity, there will be even less of a reason to be patient with new players.
    Last edited by philefluxx; 2013-02-25 at 09:48 PM.

Slightly off but can anyone explain to me how the in-game LFG "tool" works? I seriously can't figure it out. What do I press? Or what...