Stood in the Fire SaltLakeAtrocity's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Challenge Mode PVP?

Excuse me if this idea is a redundant one expressed far too much, I'm honestly not nearly as in-the-loop about pvp nowadays after Arena burnouts at the end of Wotlk that i've never really gotten over. My intent is not to spam forums, but I have not found a thread on this after searching.

But that aside, what would you think about the idea of Challenge Mode PVP? The concept being, just like challenge mode pve, pvp with normalized gear iLvls. There are obvious downsides, as with every idea imaginable, but would the cons overweigh the pros?

The rating could be kept as a separate indicator apart from regular pvp rating (or it could influence your regular rating on some varying scale or degree, what do you think would be better?)

Could reward transmog gear (personally find this to be the biggest motivator as of late, maybe it affects others differently), or maybe Elite Weapons could be tied to normalized rating? Although that would be awkward to progress in standard pvp via means of an alternative form of pvp.

Numerous other faucets could affect or vary the experience, but is the idea in and of itself less-than-savory?
    -- We'll Dance As The Palaces Burn --

Deleted
    We have that, it's called tournament realms.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not everyone competes at that level. I guess this would be a more casual version of a tournament realm.

I don't even know how it would work?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy View Post
    I don't even know how it would work?
    How what part would work?

A queued up 'challenge mode' arena or bg would be the same as any other, but your gear would be normalized to some pre-determined generic level based on class and spec.

The concept of gear isn't the same across both pve and pvp. Normalized gear works for things like challenge modes or herald of the titans because that content is (or was) tuned for that gear level, and players can trivialize that challenge it by waiting until they're in the next tier's gear. Pvp on the other hand scales up all the time. When you start getting the next season's gear, so does everyone else. You aren't mitigating any of the challenge. With that in mind, if they were to normalize/ignore gear in pvp encounters it may as well just become the norm. There's no point having a special mode that's going to be essentially the same thing.

I do kind of like the concept of removing gear in pvp though, since it could eliminate a lot of variables for pvp balance. There would never be any overpowered pve items popping up, you wouldn't be forced into rbgs just to stay competitive, you'd be playing with predetermined stats instead of struggling with different reforges for different situations, and above all you could play a lot more casually. I recognize that pvp isn't overly demanding to begin with, but you still have to play at least once a week or you fall way behind on gear and sometimes I just don't feel like it.

Quote Originally Posted by SaltLakeAtrocity View Post
    How what part would work?

A queued up 'challenge mode' arena or bg would be the same as any other, but your gear would be normalized to some pre-determined generic level based on class and spec.
    yeah, tournament realms.

Try to get Gladiator. There is challenge mode pvp for you.

it won't work because its all based around a certian ilvl. most of the time in full pvp gear.

look at the rogue in full 450 blue pvp gear and in full upgraded malv gear....

The gap between with and without S12 weapon could be smaller. It almost doubles the PvP stats. But then - start PvPing early or bite for the first few weeks.

And yes. There shouldn´t be gear differences in PvP. As it is skill can only be measured when both teams are maxed which is a bad concept for PvP.