Pet growl and old raid bosses

I was reading a thread (http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7350535121) on the hunter wow forums in which hunters are saying pet growl doesn't work on old raid bosses without the hunter mantually performing it. I've been thinking about resubbing and using a hunter to do old raids, so that would be somewhat disappointing if true.

I was wondering if this is something other hunters have run into. Is this something new? That's a somewhat old thread that was semi-necroed, so has it been fixed since?

I've definitely run into this problem on my hunter before while soloing or two manning old content. The fight that comes to mind is Sindragosa. She was definitely immune to pet taunt.

I find a misdirect macro that makes it so you don't have to manually target your pet quite helpful. Especially with the glyph of misdirection. Just throw MD into your regular rotation and possibly hit growl once and again (as it adds threat now) and you should be alright.

10+ Year Old Account
    I ran into the Growl bug when soloing Sarth+3 drakes last week, and again the first times I attempted soloing Morchok 10. I came up with a macro that allowed me to solo heroic Morchok a few days ago (thread posted with kill SS).

#showtooltip Mend Pet
    /cast Mend Pet
    /cast [@pet,exists] Misdirection
    /cast Growl

Worked beautifully, never went above 80% threat the entire 4 minutes 59 seconds it took to kill him.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkynhalvos View Post
    I ran into the Growl bug when soloing Sarth+3 drakes last week, and again the first times I attempted soloing Morchok 10. I came up with a macro that allowed me to solo heroic Morchok a few days ago (thread posted with kill SS).

#showtooltip Mend Pet
    /cast Mend Pet
    /cast [@pet,exists] Misdirection
    /cast Growl

Worked beautifully, never went above 80% threat the entire 4 minutes 59 seconds it took to kill him.
    That looks quite useful, thank-you. I'm still debating if I want to use a hunter to solo old raids, or...warlock or druid or paladin. But it's good to know if I go hunter there's a simple workaround for this bug.

Just be aware that certain boss mechanics aren't pet-friendly. For example if you use a pet on Kael'Thas he'll MC you (unless they've changed that). I think in that instance you could get around it via some very fiddly use of LOS, but not ideal for soloing all the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

MD is not even on the GCD anymore (whoo!) so growl not working on bosses is a very very minor issue at most.

Deleted
    As far as I can tell Growl doens't work with any raid boss. There actually is/was a bug with tbc/woltk bosses, but I tried lots of times to taunt a boss when a tank died during progression in mop, they always were immune.

Growl will be cast if you use it in a macro like that sure. But if you actually use growl and look at it being used, you'll see that it says "immune." No reason to use it. Just keep up the MDs.

Oh you guys are talking about old as in wrath bosses.
    Thought this was a thread about some vanilla bosses. Some vanilla bosses are immune to taunt.

No idea why wrath bosses have this problem. Regular taunts work fine on wrath bosses, or rather should. The most notable exception should be HM lady Deathwhisper since she is immune to taunt in phase 2.
    My name is Cernunnos, I will love you like no other, I have died a thousand deaths, each time I died I thought of you.

The reason some bosses are immune to taunt is that Blizzard hotfixed it during T14 progression, so hunter pets couldn't taunt adds and trivialize some aspects of boss encounters.