Page 1 of 3
LastLast

5.2 Blacksmithing Catchup Guide

Here's the table I created here for reference (note, total ore row is approximate to 600, not 500. sorry for the error.)

OK, so, here's the new guide, in text for those who cba to view the spreadsheet. Yes, I know it's waaay cheaper to level the old fashioned way, but this looks like it could be done in a few hours, for those that want to power through it.

Blacksmithing 1-600 Catchup Guide
    Gather (Or buy, you lazy turd) 9,942 Ghost Iron Ore and one Spirit of Harmony.
    Purchase all of the "Training Project: X" recipes from Shrine of the Seven Stars or Shrine of the Two Moons.

Apprentice (1-75)
    Craft Training Project: Ghost Iron Pins until 21.
    Craft Training Project: Simple Eating Utensils until 59.
    Craft Training Project: Ghost Iron Wok until 71.
    Train.

Journeyman (75-125)
    Craft Training Project: Ghost Iron Ladle until 86
    Craft Training Project: Ghost Iron Poker until 121
    Craft Training Project: Ghost Iron Hook until 136.
    Train.

Expert (125-200)
    Craft Training Project: Ghost Iron Spatulas until 151
    Craft Training Project: Decorative Spoons until 186
    Train.

Artisan (200-300)
    Craft Training Project: Ghost Iron Spade until 199.
    Craft Training Project: Ghost Iron Needles until 206.
    Craft Training Project: Ghost Iron Barrel until 231.
    Craft Training Project: Ghost Iron Saw until 248.
    Craft Training Project: Ghost Iron Wire until 256.
    Craft Training Project: Ghost Iron Pot until 289.
    Craft Training Project: Ghost Iron Cups until 299.
    Train.

Master (300-350)
    Craft Training Project: Ghost Iron Bowls until 326.
    Craft Training Project: Ghost Iron Bells until 347.
    Train

Grand Master: (350-425)
    Craft Training Project: Ghost Iron Crate until 376.
    Craft Training Project: Ghost Iron Picks until 421.
    Train.

Illustrious Grand Master (425-500)
    Craft Training Project: Ghost Iron Frames until 456.
    Craft Training Project: Ghost Iron Pans until 486.
    Craft Training Project: Ghost Iron Statue until 500.

Zen Master (500-600) From Wow-Professions.
    Craft 1 Ghostly Skeleton Key.
    Craft 5x Ghost-Forged Bracers.
    Craft 2x Ghost-Forged Belt OR Ghost Iron Gauntlets.
    Craft 4x Ghost-Forged Boots
    Craft 1x Lightsteel Shield
    Craft 2x Spiritguard Shield
    Craft 2x Ghost-Forged Helm OR Ghost-Forged Breastplate
    Craft 2x Ghost-Forged Shoulders
    Purchase a contender's recipe from SoH vendor, and craft until 600.

---------- Post added 2013-02-26 at 03:37 AM ----------

Forgot to mention, if anyone sees anything incorrect above, please let me know

EDIT: Adding the efficiency graph to main post
    Last edited by Clampz; 2013-02-27 at 03:21 AM. Reason: clarification

great job on that guide man! I have BS 600 already and my question is - which ilvl is top version of reborn Lionheart sword? I mean should we craft it just for transmog or it can be used for raiding as well?

ilvl 463-476, so they could be used, especially by rich alts, since they're BoE. The Lionheart sword is 476.

I'm not convinced in the slightest that almost 10,000 ore is cheaper or faster than buying the old leveling mats. How exactly is this a catch up? Shouldn't a catch up be faster and easier, like the Cooking catch up implemented in Halfhill?

I'm missing something here.

for rich people that are going to buy it all off the AH, or for those sticky times when the mats you want to level are more expensive or overfarmed due to CRZ. Fel Iron Ore, anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by skitzy129 View Post
    I'm not convinced in the slightest that almost 10,000 ore is cheaper or faster than buying the old leveling mats. How exactly is this a catch up?
    Yeah.... thats what I was thinking lol... How does this help at all?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H3-N9zoI5c Amazing video of 60+ devilsaurs raiding Undercity!

My God, what a horrible creation. People seeing what they want? Thank God they tried to shy away from that. I know it pisses me off when I'm in an heroic raid, yet in the back of my head all I can think is 'some casual player is playing a heroic dungeon and not wiping.' -Vodkarn

jesus christ.. thats alot of money for powerlevelling.. thats like 50,000 gold... totally not worth it, you can level old school BS for 10% of the cost..

Quote Originally Posted by Clampz View Post
    for rich people that are going to buy it all off the AH, or for those sticky times when the mats you want to level are more expensive or overfarmed due to CRZ. Fel Iron Ore, anyone?
    Oh true, not really meant as a primary means of leveling, but as a way to fill in the gaps.

---------- Post added 2013-02-26 at 12:51 AM ----------

ilvl 463-476, so they could be used, especially by rich alts, since they're BoE. The Lionheart sword is 476.
    There is another upgrade to the Lionheart sword however. Each of the weapons has 3 tiers, whether the 3rd tier is 489 or not is not known at this time since its not on the database.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H3-N9zoI5c Amazing video of 60+ devilsaurs raiding Undercity!

My God, what a horrible creation. People seeing what they want? Thank God they tried to shy away from that. I know it pisses me off when I'm in an heroic raid, yet in the back of my head all I can think is 'some casual player is playing a heroic dungeon and not wiping.' -Vodkarn

I think this is more to "fill in the gaps" than it is to level 1-600. I only made this guide for illustrative purposes, so you can pick up where you need to when you can't get the proper mats.

I think this is more to "fill in the gaps" than it is to level 1-600. I only made this guide for illustrative purposes, so you can pick up where you need to when you can't get the proper mats.
    Ah, well, thanks for your efforts. I suppose it's probably a better alternative to the Fel Iron portion at least. Everything else though is generally highly accessible and cheap on my server.

Awesome job on the spreadsheet. I did the same thing with leveling cooking for all the "Ways" in Pandaria.

Like others, I fail to see this as a cheap or quick way to leveling blacksmith skills.

Is there any way to D/L this spreadsheet?

Deleted
    Hah, was just wondering if there are guides out there about this matter, and stumbled upon this post of yours. Sincere thanks for posting this one Clampz!

And for those wondering that how is this gonna help leveling BS ; maybe this one ain't supposed to let you level your blacksmithing using ONLY Ghost Iron?
    You could use Ghost Iron to fill gaps, like if some "old school" mats aren't available on the AH, or are overfarmed due to CRZ.

EDIT: Ah, some people mentioned those already, maybe I should refresh pages before posting..
    Last edited by mmoc7156f88a59; 2013-02-26 at 08:59 AM.

i'll filebeam it and send you the link. Anyone else who wants a copy, just send me a PM, i'll get to you today or tomorrow.

I was doing some napkin math on a levelling guide and I came up with roughly 3500 ores needed to level blacksmithing now. Farming ores in pandaria is a lot faster than in other places, it might even out in time spent
    I don't think this matters nearly as much as you think it does.

Deleted
    This is really nice. I figured it would be in the region of 8k+ bars/ore. However it just allows me to skip outland/wrath and maybe some cata levels. Mostly wrath though 300cobalt bar? Nope!

I was looking for something like this myself, seeing if anybody had actually done the math... Not forgetting, though, that this is only Ore... not Bars, so in theory, you will only need half if you're buying the bars.

Im tempted to level this on my DK, as currently i have Engi/Alchy, but im tempted to drop alchemy in favor of BS.

Chances are, you'll be able to do upto TBC/Wrath without needing to use Ghost Iron too much.

But, looking at the amount of Ore per craft for some of the items, i cant help but think that the ore cost maybe greater than it should be.

I do think its a nice idea that they are doing things like this, but i also think it doesnt really help newer players, or players powerlevelling a toon on a new server.

This will be very useful for the fel iron bar, adamantite bar, and cobalt bar sections, as those have been farmed to extinction since CRZ, and what little you can find on the AH is far more expensive the ghost iron. However, copper, bronze, iron, mithril, thorium, saronite, obsidium, and elementium are still cheaper to buy, and easier to farm, than ghost iron.

Mind if I suggest a column showing number of bars per skill point? Just to give a better idea of how the cost ramps up.

Deleted
    9942? seems a bit high?

What's up with skill levels ~200-~500?! The amount of Ghost Iron needed in here sure seems to be an outlier compared to the rest. This might be the reason I just go back to painfully farming Fel Iron+ rather than thousands of bars of ghost iron.