Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Catchup Guide - 10k ghost iron ore.

Imagine if the Cooking catchup process was similar.

All you need are 14,365 pandaren peaches...... beeches.

Here's a cost/craft graph to determine the most expensive portions of the grind. This should help to determine when you should forego the traditional process for Ghost Iron Bars.

Personally I find Blacksmithing not to be as bad as people say. Old world mats are everywhere, even with xrealm. Never had a problem with it. It's leatherworking that's the big problem right now, seeing as it's not even worth the pain come max level.

Quote Originally Posted by sTyLnK View Post
    Personally I find Blacksmithing not to be as bad as people say. Old world mats are everywhere, even with xrealm. Never had a problem with it. It's leatherworking that's the big problem right now, seeing as it's not even worth the pain come max level.
    What is your efficiency secret regarding Fel Iron then, may I ask? At no time I have played in either of the first three zones in Outland has Fel Iron not been farmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Vongimi View Post
    Yeah.... thats what I was thinking lol... How does this help at all?
    Some smaller servers have "gridlocks" where it's almost impossible to find mats. Ever try getting enough Fel Iron to level through BC content on a low pop server? Good luck. It's even worse now with CRZ, so you can't just farm without competition on those servers.

On the flip side, some high pop servers have extremely cheap Ghost Iron. As of this moment, there's Ghost Iron bars for as low as 2g39s and as high as 11g76s depending on server according to theunderminejournal.com

What this does is gives an alternative. At any given point in the grind it may be cheaper on your server to use Ghost Iron instead of old mats.

As for farming, Ghost Iron ore with the goggles has got to be the most commonly spawning node in the game.
    Last edited by Abysal; 2013-02-26 at 10:01 PM.

Thank you for linking on front page!

Excellent contribution and gratz on getting a front page link.

I found the graph very helpful, thank you.

Thank you! Added graph to OP so it's easier to see.

What makes absolutely no sense to me is why they just don't buff fel iron/adamantite/cobalt spawns. This is the main bottleneck problem when leveling jc/bs/eng in the first place.

Instead, they make this retarded "catch-up mechanic" to make current mats more relevant. Which is all fine and dandy until the next xpac when nobody will be farming ghost iron ore anymore.

Blizzard, ffs, just buff the spawns of the older ore and forget about this dumb shit which you will regret 6 months from now. You already made all older cooking mats obsolete, now you're making older ore obsolete. Which, like I said, works for the present. But in the future will need a serious redesign.

10+ Year Old Account
    This seems still okay, I mean say you've got a blacksmith alt, and yeah you still use old mats and plans, but there's 10-15 level gap you can't bridge, just farm some ghost iron quickly on your mains/other alts, or buy it from the AH and voila, simple.

Power-leveling using the ghost iron is just as cost ineffective as going at it the normal way, but combined they speed the process up.
    (especially at times when Mithril and FelIron/Adamantium are going to make it a pain)
    I have eaten all the popcorn, I left none for anyone else.

Deleted
    Awesome job on the spreadsheet. If I wasn't so distracted by University i wouldn't had leveled BS 3 weeks ago

Nah, jk on the leveling part, it only costed me like... 10k gold or so :P But GJ on the sheet!

Do they have plans to do this with all crafting professions?? .. hoping it gets done for engineering

Quote Originally Posted by Zhodios View Post
    Do they have plans to do this with all crafting professions?? .. hoping it gets done for engineering
    There was a recent GC tweet that said they are thinking about it for 5.3

edit: and by "it" I mean to say GC did not specify which one(s) would be next.

15+ Year Old Account
    I already have a character with 600 BS, but it could be really helpful. We need this aswell for Leatherworking, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldhearth View Post
    What makes absolutely no sense to me is why they just don't buff fel iron/adamantite/cobalt spawns. This is the main bottleneck problem when leveling jc/bs/eng in the first place.

Instead, they make this retarded "catch-up mechanic" to make current mats more relevant. Which is all fine and dandy until the next xpac when nobody will be farming ghost iron ore anymore.

Blizzard, ffs, just buff the spawns of the older ore and forget about this dumb shit which you will regret 6 months from now. You already made all older cooking mats obsolete, now you're making older ore obsolete. Which, like I said, works for the present. But in the future will need a serious redesign.
    This. The node availability for fel iron ore and adamantite ore is much, much lower in comparison to any other ore. You can do a complete circle of Hellfire, Terrokar, and Nagrand and come away with only a handful of ore of each type.

Like others have said... while this is likely not the cheapest or even easiest way to powerlevel BS, it is a nice way to fill in gaps if you AH is missing certain ores and/or offers a cheaper alternative in some cases

Quote Originally Posted by skitzy129 View Post
    I'm not convinced in the slightest that almost 10,000 ore is cheaper or faster than buying the old leveling mats. How exactly is this a catch up? Shouldn't a catch up be faster and easier, like the Cooking catch up implemented in Halfhill?

I'm missing something here.
    It's simpler, so people will do it. The people who power level BS off the AH don't care if it costs 5k or 10k the just want it done as fast as possible.

It's a horrible change and sets a very bad precedent for the future of the game. They should be retuning low level recipes and fixing outlands node spawns instead.

Also, if any profession needed this kind of effort it was leatherworking, not blacksmithing.

Quote Originally Posted by morfraen View Post
    It's simpler, so people will do it. The people who power level BS off the AH don't care if it costs 5k or 10k the just want it done as fast as possible.

It's a horrible change and sets a very bad precedent for the future of the game. They should be retuning low level recipes and fixing outlands node spawns instead.

Also, if any profession needed this kind of effort it was leatherworking, not blacksmithing.
    its only a little bit simpler with all the guides you know how much you need of each.

Quote Originally Posted by morfraen View Post

How is Leatherworking so much more in dire need of retuning than BS? At least Leatherworkers gather while they quest, not going out of their way. I'm not saying it isn't difficult, or comparable to smithing, but BS does have glaring issues and needs a fix. I'm with the people saying that Ghost Iron doesn't fix the problem, after MoP it will become obsolete, Fel Iron/Cobalt will still be an issue. Still technically an issue with this change.