Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Is it worth PVPing as Ret in 5.2?

I started late in 5.1 and it has been pretty awful trying to find RBG groups, even using Oqueue. 8.6k res, 13.3k pvp power, been pvping for years (80k+ hks) -- I'm an effective pvper DESPITE my spec.

I sometimes sit in SW for hours (for days) trying to find a RBG group to hit the CP cap with no luck. I hit 1800 this past week on Thursday -- spent the next 4 days trying to get a decent group with no real luck; the only groups that would take me were idiots that had no business leading a group. So I never hit cap this week and it was extremely frustrating and a huge waste of time.

Sad thing is that I almost always play better than ranged DPS that get into the same groups with no questions asked -- leaders seem to assume a lock, spriest or hunter will be a good player...I feel like they assume the opposite for me.

Really won't ever go back to holy or prot. Should I stick it out in 5.2 or will it just be more of the same?

It's a hard way, but start your own group! Try to keep good players and replace bad players.

Deleted
    I don´t play anymore but from what I read playing ret is not gone be any better than it is atm hell thats why I am not playing the game anymore.

This upcoming season (5.2) will be a lot better than the last one. Wings back to 2min, flash of lights healing for 150k+, hand of sac dispel (x2 if in clemency), the almost 100% uptime of 10% dmg reduction with Tv and exo... And not to mention the other classes that are getting nerfed is going to put us in a better spot. You still see a strong return from ret/rogue/Rsham, vanguards, ret/hunter/Xhealer. We have a good shot this season. But that's if you have a good attitude because we all know that bad attitudes increases damage taken by 50%

Deleted
    Will be okay, not the best, probably the worst class. Blizzard aint got time to fix us rets, they're too busy making monks too fancy.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Simplistic View Post
    I started late in 5.1 and it has been pretty awful trying to find RBG groups, even using Oqueue. 8.6k res, 13.3k pvp power, been pvping for years (80k+ hks) -- I'm an effective pvper DESPITE my spec.

I sometimes sit in SW for hours (for days) trying to find a RBG group to hit the CP cap with no luck. I hit 1800 this past week on Thursday -- spent the next 4 days trying to get a decent group with no real luck; the only groups that would take me were idiots that had no business leading a group. So I never hit cap this week and it was extremely frustrating and a huge waste of time.

Sad thing is that I almost always play better than ranged DPS that get into the same groups with no questions asked -- leaders seem to assume a lock, spriest or hunter will be a good player...I feel like they assume the opposite for me.

Really won't ever go back to holy or prot. Should I stick it out in 5.2 or will it just be more of the same?
    I hate to sound like a broken record, but the only melee that will ever have RBG spots are rogue/DK because of unique skills (grip/aoe stealth/smoke bomb/stealth in general for nabbing nodes)

Ret just has nothing that it brings, especially in long drawn out fights at bases or in flag rooms. They aren't assuming ranged are good players, they are looking for a class because when you have never played with any of the people, you have to assume they all have equal skill unless they give you reason to think otherwise (link of gladiator achieve or something).

That being said, you and a healer friend could just do 2's and try to keep up gear and see what we get in 5.3. That'll be in the middle of the season, and you will want the gear if we get the buffs. We will be better than this season, but we will still be less effective than other melee. I know exactly how you feel dude. I had to drop the pally, I love the class, but it was getting too frustrating. I had to make him Holy, if I wanted to get anywhere.

The only real difference in 5.2 is that you'll have two minutes inbetween wings instead of three, which means you'll be getting spell stolen or chain cc'd every two minutes instead of three

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deal View Post
    The only real difference in 5.2 is that you'll have two minutes inbetween wings instead of three, which means you'll be getting spell stolen or chain cc'd every two minutes instead of three
    lol, just to make clear. You cant spell steal wings anymore and its alot more buffs than that

ret is going to be much better off in 5.2 than it is now. nevermind the buffs paladins are actually receiving, its more about the nerfs other classes are getting. just hope mage damage gets toned down a bit more on ptr haha. the biggest reason rets arent doing too well is cause warriors can sit on them right now and ruin their fun

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by itals View Post
    ret is going to be much better off in 5.2 than it is now. nevermind the buffs paladins are actually receiving, its more about the nerfs other classes are getting. just hope mage damage gets toned down a bit more on ptr haha. the biggest reason rets arent doing too well is cause warriors can sit on them right now and ruin their fun
    Warriors are just getting replaced as top-tier. Yeah, warriors are getting nerfed, but rogues, Unholy, and Monks are all getting buffs and will cbe better than us in 5.2. They wont have a 20 sec cd warbringer shockwave, but they are getting pretty damn hefty buffs.

ret will be better in arenas and other pvp. but melee suck in gerenal for RBGs, and ret as nothing special to bring

Don't even bother for any serious RBGs. Everything else is fine though. Not super great but it's fine.

It's hard to say really, It won't be faceroll easy like it will be for rogues and other classes or this current season's warrior, but it will be more viable then it was this tier. Obviously it will be more difficult against certain comps, and to be blunt it will really come down to your team's skill cap and ability to adapt. And for RBGs a similar scenariol a will apply. Lastly it depends on how seriously you are trying to take it, not every ret paladin is a vanguards caliber player.

Ret's quite simply don't "fit" in any setup for RBGs atm, no aoe controll except a 3sec blind, 30sec CD single target snare, weak survivability. If you went holy on the other hand you'd have one of the strongest heals in addition to being able to stop all crits from enemies which is insane.
    For 5.2 rets get dispell on hand of sacrifice so arena is getting a pretty large bandaid, still not potent enough in a 10v10 rbg though.
    9thorder.com | Recruiting exceptional players!

15+ Year Old Account
    Can anyone tell me why Rets are worse than other classes at 90 when equally geared?

Lack of instant gap closer, lack of multiple CC chain abilities, Less than or equal to swifty, less sustained pressure, lack of hard peels. Basically while we can do some of the things other classes can do, we are not warriors, dks, rogues, etc. We just do a bit of everything "jack of all trades, but masters of none" in a sense.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think we'll be ok for arenas. Not top melee ofc but decent.
    For RBGs you either have to be ranged or have a powerful unique ability like DKs grip(s) or smokebomb. We dont have either.

So far we got

2min wings
    25% pvp power on heals
    15% sword of light
    ~50% fol buff
    20% soj
    Sacrifice magic dispell
    TV glyph proccing off exo
    battle healer glyph buffed 200%

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Phurox View Post
    Can anyone tell me why Rets are worse than other classes at 90 when equally geared?
    They're not worse than anything, they just lack some of the ez-mode pvp abilities that every other class has right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Vigilanti View Post
    Lack of instant gap closer, lack of multiple CC chain abilities, Less than or equal to swifty, less sustained pressure, lack of hard peels. Basically while we can do some of the things other classes can do, we are not warriors, dks, rogues, etc. We just do a bit of everything "jack of all trades, but masters of none" in a sense.
    pretty much this... the sad thing is we're such a sensitive class that any buff to a paladin spec shoots them threw the roof into OP territory. Look at wrath ret, wrath and cata lvl 70 prot, and cata holy for examples.

But I personally like ret, pvp'd since TBC and I actually liked it in cata. Not much has changed except that our healing is lol and we can run down our target and snare them to death.

Being an underdog has its advantages in gaming... for the most part underdog status means everyone avoids playing it and, thus, lack experience against it. So its easy to get the upper hand on some n00bs and its more enjoyable to compete against actual pvpers.
    Last edited by Paladin885; 2013-03-01 at 10:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phurox View Post
    We can be annoying but not a threat, basicly what it comes down to.
    9thorder.com | Recruiting exceptional players!

Quote Originally Posted by Huntingbear_grimbatol View Post
    We can be annoying but not a threat, basicly what it comes down to.
    Actually Ret is quite capable of being a threat, both as an offhealer and a DPS. The root of the problem is that our personal defenses are so lackluster that the opportunity cost for the opposing team to just kill us rather than deal with the damage and healing we can put out if we're left to roam free is negligible.