Thread: Moving out tips

Moving out tips

Next month I am finally moving out of the rents humble abode, decided to stay at home to finish college/university to save money. That time of trying to be responsible and trying to save money is over, it is time to finally head on out (thankfully).

I am pretty confident I have everything I need ready to go, but coming from someone who is not there yet I feel like I am going to miss something.

Going back to when you moved out on your own for the first time, what is something you needed that you wish someone would have told you to get, or just a general tip. Any feedback is great! Thanks!

Money and lots of it. lol

Have saved loads expecting to spend an arm and a leg on groceries!

Quote Originally Posted by Whispurr View Post
    Have saved loads expecting to spend an arm and a leg on groceries!
    are you living by yourself or with others?

Is this your first time living alone for an extended period of time?
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Plan to lose most frills of living at home. Once you move out, your bills are your own. Plan to eat cheaply and do little activities that cost unnecessary amounts of money

Deleted
    Make sure you have enough saved to live on for a few months.

Deleted
    Organise and don't let yourself go too much. And learn to cook stuff.
    Enjoy yourself man i loved the feeling of being on my own. Go to the shops buy shit come back watch a bit of tv do things. It's wondeful.
    Best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    Organise and don't let yourself go too much. And learn to cook stuff.
    Enjoy yourself man i loved the feeling of being on my own. Go to the shops buy shit come back watch a bit of tv do things. It's wondeful.
    Best of luck!
    Started cooking occasionally to try and learn, but I still find myself just using the grill every other day, Turkey Burgers are the bomb.

First and imo very best advice ... DO NOT BORROW MONEY FOR FURNITURE ! realy ... too many people want everything right off the bat and go borrowing money to get that dinner table / sofa etc. they realy want ...... and borrow money for it thinking very little about they have to repay that load the next 5+ years and paying 25%+ in intrest is NOT amusing.

check out 2nd hand stores ... there are more gems there then you might think.

Check out insurence you realy want to look into this as there is a ton a money to save here.

Do not use money on things you dont realy have to the first 3 months ..till you are 100% sure what you need and what living realy cost, little things realy adds up.

Edit : oh yeah and best of luck and enjoy the freedom

Deleted
    Started cooking occasionally to try and learn, but I still find myself just using the grill every other day, Turkey Burgers are the bomb.
    I'm actually loving it now. And believe me I hated cooking. I'm the cook in my family now when my wife cooks something we usually end up with domino pizza.

Is it an apartment you're moving into?

Quote Originally Posted by Drungan View Post
    First and imo very best advice ... DO NOT BORROW MONEY FOR FURNITURE ! realy ... too many people want everything right off the bat and go borrowing money to get that dinner table / sofa etc. they realy want ...... and borrow money for it thinking very little about they have to repay that load the next 5+ years and paying 25%+ in intrest is NOT amusing.

check out 2nd hand stores ... there are more gems there then you might think.

Check out insurence you realy want to look into this as there is a ton a money to save here.

Do not use money on things you dont realy have to the first 3 months ..till you are 100% sure what you need and what living realy cost, little things realy adds up.

Edit : oh yeah and best of luck and enjoy the freedom
    Thank you for the wise advice!

---------- Post added 2013-02-26 at 03:18 PM ----------

I'm actually loving it now. And believe me I hated cooking. I'm the cook in my family now when my wife cooks something we usually end up with domino pizza.

Is it an apartment you're moving into?
    Nope, it is a 3 bedroom home, I am lucky enough to have an awesome family/brother who is renting his old 3 bedroom home to me that he didn't want to sell, the bad housing market benefited me I guess.
    Last edited by Whispurr; 2013-02-26 at 08:19 PM.

I have to say I was lucky. When I moved in my house the former owner left me a bunch of stuff. The only major things I had to buy was a bed and a couch. The bed I shopped locally at a furniture place but the couch I got at an auction for $50.00. For the first year or so it was a bit rough with one eye on the pocketbook and making sure I had enough to pay the bills. Sometimes I had to make sacrifices to make that happen too. Eventually, I saved enough that I don't worry about that anymore.

Deleted
    Thank you for the wise advice!

---------- Post added 2013-02-26 at 03:18 PM ----------

Nope, it is a 3 bedroom home, I am lucky enough to have an awesome family/brother who is renting his old 3 bedroom home to me that he didn't want to sell, the bad housing market benefited me I guess.
    Ok cool. Lots of useless space. Better to have a smaller easier to manage apartment or something in my opinion.
    3 bed house is huge and man, you have to clean it sometimes.

Don't forget light bulbs. I always forget the light bulbs..
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

Ok cool. Lots of useless space. Better to have a smaller easier to manage apartment or something in my opinion.
    3 bed house is huge and man, you have to clean it sometimes.

not only cleaning is a issue .. also the power / heating usage defo is .... can be pretty costly.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Drungan View Post
    not only cleaning is a issue .. also the power / heating usage defo is .... can be pretty costly.
    Oh yes man good advice hey remember this 100% Huge house huge bills i got my account raped several times by x bills when I moved from a 1 bed to a 3 with my partner.

Deleted
    Get to know what kitchen equipment you need and what you don't need. I have tons of stuff I have yet to use simply because I usually only cook for myself. You can always get stuff later on if you need it.
    Make a plan on how you're gonna arrange your furniture, and try to stick with it. If you need inspiration, simply goto the shops and see. Make sure sunlight doesn't fuck up the view on tv/computer screens unless you want to keep the window(s) covered doing the daytime.
    The bed is the single most important piece of furniture you have to get, don't be cheap, but don't go over the top either for your first bed, also don't go under "queen size" bed (150cm wide), preferably go with the king size bed (180cm wide) since your house is pretty big.
    Last edited by mmocff76f9a79b; 2013-02-26 at 10:25 PM.

Have a chunk of change saved up for the things you're not prepared for. And yes, there's always something.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Remember you'll need your own one of... pretty much everything. So all the kitchen utensils, pots and pans, tools for fixing whatever you'll need to around the house.

Make sure you have some friends in the area you can call if you need help with something.

Mainly though - just money. You can paper over most problems with money! (Don't do that literally though)