Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Do you "identify" with a WoW race?

Do you personally "identify" yourself with a race in world of warcraft? What I mean by this is, do you try to defend a certain race if they are being hated on, or if something bad happens to them in game, or good for that matter?

If this is the case, why? Why would you try to connect yourself (a real life person) to a silly race within a virtual game?

Has anyone else noticed the extremism some people take when it comes to identifying themselves to a race in this game?

Its a little strange, yet I find it hilarious that people attach themselves so much in that manner...

People will defend anything they like sometimes...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gamhacked View Post
    To the point of lunacy? Sometimes its just unbearable to read some of the rabble that people spew in favor of "their" race. I have to step away from the screen sometimes and think: "did he really just say that?"

Jaylock thinks the human race is the best race in the world of warcraft (and irl

Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    To the point of lunacy? Sometimes its just unbearable to read some of the rabble that people spew in favor of "their" race. I have to step away from the screen sometimes and think: "did he really just say that?"

Jaylock thinks the human race is the best race in the world of warcraft (and irl
    Yeah feeling entitlement to something you never influenced (like when people get all riled up about those hypothetical cross-universe superhero battles between Superman and Goku and whatnot) can be a puzzling sight. I take it as playful antagonism over something trivial, a thing we all succumb to sometimes, online or off.

10+ Year Old Account
    Other than my shaman, my other 3 classes are Humans. Mage, Paladin, Death Knight. I tend to associate more with the class that I play, which for the last 8 years has been mage. That looks like it will change in 5.2 tho.

So my answer is Humans...
    Last edited by Synros; 2013-02-27 at 02:07 AM.
    ON WEDNESDAYS WE WEAR PINK

i don't really identify with races. however, i do try and identify with my character. and i usually find it easier to identify with an elf character. i usually model my character after myself, only as an elf or something.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    I feel like the way you put that is a loaded question. No, of course we shouldn't identify with one of those "silly" races! Instead, Identify with one of those reasonable sports teams! Dress up in rather random colors, dress up with no shirt on while you paint their warpaint on your own chest, screaming their warchants! "for the Ravens" or "Touchdown!"
    the amount of fights I have seen over sports games?
    Now, tell me this is still truly better than identifying with an in game race. They may have qualities you aspire to, just like your favorite professional athlete. They have many characters, many of whom are distilled to the most heroic actions, unlike real-life politicians.
    No, Instead I say, Live and Let Live.

Do you personally "identify" yourself with a race in world of warcraft? What I mean by this is, do you try to defend a certain race if they are being hated on, or if something bad happens to them in game, or good for that matter?

If this is the case, why? Why would you try to connect yourself (a real life person) to a silly race within a virtual game?

Has anyone else noticed the extremism some people take when it comes to identifying themselves to a race in this game?

Its a little strange, yet I find it hilarious that people attach themselves so much in that manner...

All your threads are carefully worded flame war bait.
    I don't know why you havn't been banned yet.

OT: And yes, I do in fact identify with all of my classes race.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not really. Jewish, white American. I typically play blood elves because they look cool and I like the lore. I can think of a few parallels, but generally no.

Personality-wise, I fit with gnomes (Except for the engineering part). I am small, quirky, and fun-loving likes the gnomes.

Quote Originally Posted by solvexx View Post

I feel this way too, if it is a jaylock thread, it is meant to be incendiary, fact of these boards.

eh, not really. I dislike all the races as much as eachother. wtb mogu/etheral's as a playable race.

Do you personally "identify" yourself with a race in world of warcraft?
    In a way, yes. I play a lot of Blood Elves and Orcs. On the exterior, I'm a big guy. I lift weights, I'm a bit overweight, and people tend to be intimidated by me until they get to know me (Orc). I'm also outwardly narcissistic (Blood Elf). But on the inside, I place a very high value on intelligence (Blood Elf), yet, I am very much into mysticism and naturalistic beliefs (Orc).

What I mean by this is, do you try to defend a certain race if they are being hated on, or if something bad happens to them in game, or good for that matter?
    What's there to defend? Both sides of this faction war have done some pretty shitty things. War sucks. War never changes.

Why would you try to connect yourself (a real life person) to a silly race within a virtual game?

Boom. There goes the Jaylock we all know and detest. It was far too tame for a Jaylock thread.

You must not read very much either. I've not known a single person that reads a lot who doesn't connect and relate to the characters they read about, especially when reading a multi-book series.

You don't find it logical at all that some of us, who have been actively playing this game for over 8 years, and who has played the previous games in this series years before that, would end up connecting and emphasizing with the characters they spend so much time with?

It's basic human empathy, and if you don't have it, you probably have absolutely TERRIBLE interpersonal communication skills. Judging by your post history, however, I do not doubt this one bit.

---------- Post added 2013-02-27 at 02:33 AM ----------

He has received several temporary bans. In fact, he must have just recently gotten unbanned, as I had a celebratory image linked in my signature that lasted about 2 weeks before I received a 5 point infraction for it. =(
    Quote Originally Posted by Novakhoro View Post
    I recommend shoulder surgery immediately... there's no way you didn't fuck it up with how hard you just reached.

Pretty sure I just saw you completely misread an OP in another thread.
    It's like crossing an intersection. There's shit going on all over the place and you don't panic and act like an idiot then do you?

Jaylock thread, gtfo!

Oh god another Jaylock thread.

Quick! Everyone agree with him or you're an idiot!

10+ Year Old Account
    I do love trolls, but mostly because I think they are a very interesting race and Blizzard did a wonderful job reinventing the race in a very original way. I feel the same way towards goblins to a lesser extent, but there's not much "identification" here with either race.

That being said, the thread does smell of flame bait with lines such as "If this is the case, why? Why would you try to connect yourself (a real life person) to a silly race within a virtual game?". You ask people if they identify themselves with the races and then act in a demeaning way towards anyone who might? Not the best way to start a conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by gamhacked View Post
    You might want to change that sig. I got an infraction once for having a signature too big and it wasn't half the size of yours. :\

I can't say I do and I haven't felt an urge to defend one though I can see and understand why someone could/would.
    Infectionate Pawsthorne Bubblesbee
    [A] [H]
    Nasturtium Fisticuffs Blesshu Sinnocence Ellipsis Hiddenfee Teddiursa

10+ Year Old Account
    I think, aside from the extremeness of the whole money grabbing thing, I identify with goblins pretty well.

And dwarves, and gnomes for that matter.
    RIP Breath of Sindragosa - 23/06/2015 - The day fun died.

10+ Year Old Account
    It is normal to connect with a fictional character, people or race you like. I can even understand some reasonnable degree of identification with a race you played for several years. A story in which no character attracts your sympathy is not a well written story. However, I must admit that some may go over the top with the zeal they put in defending a race or a character. Some posts can even get violent and downright haineous, as if they were personaly attacked by some comments about a fictional character or race. When someone writes "We, the Orcs" or "We, the Night Elves" (out of an RP context), it is a sign that they have played that game too much. They should listen to William Shatner and "get a life."
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

10+ Year Old Account
    For some reason I've always felt kind of an affinity with the Undead after I learned the background of their history with Lordaeron and all that. Oddly though, I've only ever leveled one and ended up deleting it. The rest of my toons are human, dwarf, and gnome. I don't feel any kind of racial connection with them.