View Poll Results: What are your thoughts about same race faction change?

Voters
75. This poll is closed
  • I think this is a great idea

10 13.33%
  • I would be in favor of this provided some changes are made

16 21.33%
  • I am more in favor of a Neutral Faction

13 17.33%
  • No. I am opposed to any type of changes to the two current factions

36 48.00%
Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Thumbs up Suggestion: Defecting to the opposing faction

On the main forums, I came up with a plan for possible character Defection. You would retain your race, but actually change factions. I thought I might share it here as well and see if it gets similar interest. I know, in most cases, most ideas are met with "This is an old topic, they'll never do it, or wow does this suck" kinda responses. I am certainly open to almost any idea on ways to add to or even improve my concept below.

1) When the character reaches level 20, they visit an NPC in Ratchet that gives them a quest to begin their defection process.

2) The quest would be the starting leg of a 21 or 30 day chain of a single daily quest to convert. Much the same way the Winterspring mount quest was setup. By the time they finish, the character should already be 90.

3) On the last day, upon completion of the final quest (daily), a portal is opened to either Stormwind or Orgrimmar much the same way the DK is presented into the city.

4) Your last task is to meet with the city leader and gain Friendly status with your new faction. You also gain the achievement and title "the Defector", "the Spy", or "the Traitor".

5) Your change does come with minor penalties:
    a) You get a 10% penalty to rep gained with Classic Horde or Alliance Races (the main 6)
    b) Your change is permanent. The only way to go back is to pay for the faction change
    service or reroll on your previous faction.

I think it would be a great opportunity for people who are SERIOUS about faction changing while keeping their race to see the other side of the story through the eyes of a defector / traitor. Also, it would prevent people from just faction hopping without any consequences and maintain balance between 2 factions as opposed to trying to introduce a 3rd Neutral faction that doesn't belong to either side.

With just 2 factions in play, there would be no needs for any new cities, or additional quest hubs. The amount of resources would be minimal as all we really need is the questline. Pandaren have already proven that picking either side is already a plausible game mechanic.

What are your thoughts / opinions on this? Would you be in favor of defecting or are you more of a lore traditionalist who would oppose members of the opposing faction joining your ranks?

Please remember, there are already several 3rd party groups in WoW that use races from both factions to fill their rosters such as the Cenarian Circle, Argent Dawn, Silver Hand, Twilight Cultists, and the Darkmoon Faire... just to name a few.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Didn't we JUST have a thread about this a few days ago?

Seen this for years. NO Blizzard wont do and most don't want it.
    "I hated hating Garrosh before it was cool."
    FOR THE HORDE!!!

there was just a similar thread that got differing amounts of poo poo or gee that is great thrown at it.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

Deleted
    Suggestion: Defecting to the opposing faction
    Is called "Faction Change" and "Your change does come with minor penalties" : 20 Euro.
    Last edited by mmoc1e4c5b7903; 2013-02-27 at 06:52 PM.

I think it would be awesome but I also don't think it will happen. Honestly if they're going to do that they could just make all races neutral and have you pick a side during character creation. lol

---------- Post added 2013-02-27 at 08:51 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by vandam View Post
    Is called "Faction Change" and "Your change does come with minor penalties: : 20 Euro.
    Cute, but not the same as what was suggested.

Quote Originally Posted by Moontalon View Post
    I think it would be awesome but I also don't think it will happen. Honestly if they're going to do that they could just make all races neutral and have you pick a side during character creation. lol

---------- Post added 2013-02-27 at 08:51 AM ----------

Cute, but not the same as what was suggested.
    And the point of factions would be?
    FOR THE HORDE!!!

I find it funny that OP who wanted "faction defection" has a blood elf on his avatar.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wooootles View Post
    I find it funny that OP who wanted "faction defection" has a blood elf on his avatar.
    Would you rather I post from my Gnome?

Quote Originally Posted by kingriku View Post
    And the point of factions would be?
    Nothing beyond RP. That was kind of my point, and why I said I don't think it will happen. lol

It would sort of defeat the purpose of having two factions no?
    I'm not sure how many people would like having defectors/traitors on their side either. I certainly wouldn't like to fight alongside an Orc or an Undead as a Draenei no matter if they are suddenly friendly or not. >_>

Quote Originally Posted by Superman-BladesEdge View Post
    Would you rather I post from my Gnome?
    Too bad your username is your Belf Paladin and this isn't wow forums. Point hes making is Belfs are kind've a faction defection already.
    FOR THE HORDE!!!

I like the idea but at the same time...I don't. Horde and Alliance should have different identities, while it is no doubt unrealistic that every single orc, troll, etc, and every human, dwarf and so forth would align altogether on one faction, I thin it's important that the horde and alliance keep their separate identities. There are two different factions for a reason.

10+ Year Old Account
    Too bad your username is your Belf Paladin and this isn't wow forums. Point hes making is Belfs are kind've a faction defection already.
    Actually, if you Armory my name, you'll find I am a Paladin. Also, I get that. High elves really belong to the Alliance and night elves actually belong to the horde... at least looking back at WC2 and WC3.

Deleted
    no, just no

Actually, if you Armory my name, you'll find I am a Paladin. Also, I get that. High elves really belong to the Alliance and night elves actually belong to the horde... at least looking back at WC2 and WC3.
    Constellation will tear you up. Nelfs never belonged to the Horde.

Edit:I can never remember her name.
    Last edited by kingriku; 2013-02-27 at 07:06 PM.
    FOR THE HORDE!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    I would love it and I don't get why we can't do it. Wait...well, I kinda do, but still...it'd be awesome.

10+ Year Old Account
    Celestial will tear you up. Nelfs never belonged to the Horde.
    Night elves are trolls who were changed by the Well of Eternity. Plus in WC3 they were distrusting of mortals and stayed reclusive after unleashing the legion and destroying a lot of stuff. Dark magic was their downfall. Just sayin.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    I would love it and I don't get why we can't do it. Wait...well, I kinda do, but still...it'd be awesome.

fully agree that it would be. in any story you will find a black sheep that did not belong.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

Night elves are trolls who were changed by the Well of Eternity. Plus in WC3 they were distrusting of mortals and stayed reclusive after unleashing the legion and destroying a lot of stuff. Dark magic was their downfall. Just sayin.
    A single tribe of trolls are members of the Horde and way way way before that is when Nelfs came to be, how does that make them Horde? Also Helfs are still Alliance.
    FOR THE HORDE!!!