Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Are quests necessary in pandaria?

I intend to level up from 85 to 90 only by dungeons and BGs, but I heard something about quests opening something, some kind of phasing stuff which was important. Which quests seems necessary?

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Surely questing is more fun than doing Teple, Brewery, Palace and Monestary over and over and over for 5 levels?

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Do the first quest so you get the portal to pandaria. Cant think about any other real needed atm, but there are a few that open up areas (Like opening up Klaxi'va and the likes)
    I was Once a Nab
    Then I rolled a Paladin
    Thats when I found out
    that I REALLY was a Nab

You dont need to quest in pandaria but it think after lvl 88 its alot faster tho. And since there are only 4 dungeons once you hit 87 you would get bored like hell. Per lvl you would have to run ALOT OF DUNGEONS to get lvl up especially from 88-90. lvling through dungeons till 88 is fine after that its just a pain in the ....

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    You will be very bored seeing those same dungeons and again on heroic. I'd go with questing, the questing experience is brilliant in Pandaria. Nowadays you won't have to wait for many things to spawn etc as there would be a lot fewer people on the same questline as you.

The best way:

85 - Jade Forest quests until you unlock brewery/tojs, keep random dungeon queue up while doing Jade Forest quests until you have completed dungeon quests in both instances.
    86 - Move to Valley of Four Winds, keep doing quests in there, or move to Krasarang Wilds with aid of breadcrumb quests.
    87 - Move to Kun'lai Summit, quest until you have enough gear to enter Shado-Pan Monastery/Mogu'shan Palace through random dungeon, leave dungeon if brewery/tojs pop up, kill sha (obviously optional), once you have completed the dungeon quests in new instances, quest in kun'lai until 88
    88 - Move to Townlong Steppes
    89 - Move to Dread Wastes.

Doing dungeons after completing the quests is not viable way to get XP, if you do random dungeon, it awards about 1 million(?) XP which means you have to run dozens of them to get a level.

Deleted
    Dungeons seem a very time inefficient way of leveling in MoP. Doing each once for the quests and for fun is fine - good XP. But without the quests, they did not see to make much of a dent in my XP bar.

Plus at least two of the dungeons - Brewery and Monastery - are not particularly quick or easy. Parts of them can be quite hard or frustrating to do in a leveling pug.

Also, queue times were pretty awful for dps and even healers iirc.

Finally, boredom would be a big issue - you'd likely be mainly doing the first two (L85) dungeons again and again. Everyone queues for them at 85; fewer take the time out at the 87+ pair.

Quote Originally Posted by econ21 View Post
    Plus at least two of the dungeons - Brewery and Monastery - are not particularly quick or easy. Parts of them can be quite hard or frustrating to do in a leveling pug.
    Brewery takes 10 mins and is very easy, not sure how that is too long for you.

I dont know if they changed anything but the fastest way to get 90 is going dungeosn till 87 then quests and go the new inis once fro quests and just quest kunlai till 88 townlong till 89 and then klaxxi stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Reyzzz View Post
    Brewery takes 10 mins and is very easy, not sure how that is too long for you.
    I've had the final fight alone take 10 minutes, in some groups, as a tank or healer.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

Deleted
    I've leveled from 85-90 purely from running instances (as a blood dk mind you, so these were some quick instance runs), it isn't something I'd do again, ever. You get less than a bar/run, it's ridiculously slow (also, 10 min for a regular brewery run at that level is complete bs:P)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookie View Post
    You get less than a bar/run,it's ridiculously slow..
    Yep, that was my memory too. So not worth it. By contrast, if you move quickly to the highest level quest areas open to you, you can wrack up a lot of XP fast. I think it was 4 Dread Waste quests being 1m XP.

The brewery just annoys me. I'm not a fan of vermin. Especially vermin with stuns. It's not hard but it's not particularly easy. Common aggravations include players getting locked out before the second boss or dying due to some mechanic (LOS pull; bubble or wall jumping) at the last boss. By contrast, Jade Serpent Temple always seems as smooth as silk (I think the sha at the end has some output requirements on but players usually meet them).

I do think Monastery can be genuinely hard - at least at release, some of the trash towards the end could put out a surprising amount of damage (I think it's been nerfed somewhat).

Blizzard did agree with one poster who said leveling dungeons in MoP feel harder than heroics - perhaps because players so outgear the latter now.

Deleted
    My experience with leveling an alt was the same as a lot of other people in this thread. Dungeons give poor xp in MoP compared to questing. The first run through is good for the quest xp and rewards, but not really worth after that. I remember getting something like 5% of a single level from one dungeon run, and it can take a while with a poor group.
    Last edited by mmoc7960b93d6c; 2013-02-28 at 05:02 PM.

The quest themselves aren't necessary but unless your planing to spend a ton of gold (or crafting mats) you will still end up doing quest just so you reach 430 ilevel.

Sure you could get crafting gear but why bother with crafting if quest greens allows you to enter heroics and makes the experience so much faster.

I dont think any quests are neccessary unless your crafting

Thanks to everybody who shared their knowledge but leveling fast or slow is not my concern, I was just concerned if I'd miss something(a portal, a phased place or some kind of good stuff) if I skip questing. And obviously I won't.

Thank you, /love
    Mono.

I liked doing the quests as with the bonus rep when you have already have a main toon at 90, was great for getting rep and at lvl 90 all quests you just blaze through and get 2x the rep (was funny having shado pan at revered but not being able to do dailies as golden lotus rep was at neutral)

Quote Originally Posted by yunuss View Post
    Thanks to everybody who shared their knowledge but leveling fast or slow is not my concern, I was just concerned if I'd miss something(a portal, a phased place or some kind of good stuff) if I skip questing. And obviously I won't.

Thank you, /love
    Mono.
    you will miss out on something really important. QUEST GEAR. you wont get enough from the dungeons.

How anyone can stand doing the same few dungeons over and over while leveling, only to do them over and over again once at max level is beyond me. Questing may be boring, but at least you can do it on your own and not have to do the same exact one every single day.

I've never done more quests in general. Mists of questaria.