Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Exclamation Macbook pro 15'' retina display (2013) - PROBLEM WITH GRAPHIC CARD

Hi guys,

i'm the middle-human that play wow on a macbook (shame on me).
    Btw i'll explain you my problem (sorry in advance for my bad english):

I've bought the new retina display macbook 15'' (8gb ram, Intel Core i7 quad-core, 2,3GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 1gb dedicated) because i work as web-developer // web-designer... but this is my life, not the problem...

At beginning i played wow at MAX GRAPHIC OPTIONS! (all at max, it's not a joke, it was a fucking reality!).
    But now, is not more supported.. i don't know why!.. if i put something over "disable" or "low", the framerate explode and the game run at 4 - 5 fps.

I've no lag (internet has 100mb).

Please, someone could explain me HOW could i play at top?

N.B. please avoid sarcastic comments!

Thanks!!!

Sounds like the laptop is using only the integrated Intel graphics for WoW for some reason now, not the discrete GT650. No clue how to change what GPU Mac uses, but that's the direction you should be looking into.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Sounds like the laptop is using only the integrated Intel graphics for WoW for some reason now, not the discrete GT650. No clue how to change what GPU Mac uses, but that's the direction you should be looking into.
    He can check to see what GPU he's using by following these steps.

Deleted
    DONE: the macbook use the gt650 ... for sure!

---------- Post added 2013-02-28 at 03:14 PM ----------

Like my prev reply: i've done it ... the laptop use the correct graph-card ..

Deleted
    Might be a good idea to monitor your CPU and GPU temps. (I have zero experience with that on laptops. Not sure if that can be done as easily as with a regular GPU.)

Even if it's just to exclude the possibility of it overheating.

Only suggesting this because noone else seems to be suggesting anything. Not sure if we have a lot of Mac users on these forums.

Deleted
    Thanks i'll do !! another thing i've thinked is to DELETE ALL and reinstall mac os x from 0 ... but i prefere not ... !

Deleted
    is the issue on present in wow?
    perhaps try to run a unigine valley benchmark round and post scores. (should give us an idication if the GPU works fine or not)
    just run it with 1080p @extreme HD pre-set.
    also how about battery saving settings?

Deleted
    I've force the gt650 card !! (disabled the change card to save battery).
    Explain what you think :

" try to run a unigine valley benchmark round and post scores. (should give us an idication if the GPU works fine or not)
    just run it with 1080p @extreme HD pre-set."

Make sure the laptop isn't overheating. Sounds like when you crank the settings up, it incurs enough extra load causing it to heat up to an unstable point. They make some really nice, and pretty inexpesive stands with built-in fans to put your laptop on to provide much better airflow and cooling.

Deleted
    not my problem, i've a support under my laptop to grant airflow !! ... maybe i could put my lapton under water... ahahaha

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaminkio View Post
    I've force the gt650 card !! (disabled the change card to save battery).
    Explain what you think :

" try to run a unigine valley benchmark round and post scores. (should give us an idication if the GPU works fine or not)
    just run it with 1080p @extreme HD pre-set."
    it is a tool found here : linky
    you can test how good the gpu is and compare if it performs as it should or that you might have a defect card.
    that we can know for sure if the problem is related to wow or the actual gpu.

There is a fair chance your are running pretty hot. I have the previous gen Macbook Pro, and I had to download smcFanControl http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/23049/smcfancontrol. I found my CPU was running at 96C with fairly similar GPU temps until I manually adjusted at what point the fans kicked in at full RPM. It is quite possible your GPU/CPU are downclocking in order to lower temps. Otherwise like others have said it is possible you have a defective card.

Deleted
    omg ... i think i could love u!

---------- Post added 2013-02-28 at 05:50 PM ----------

This is brilliant ... i'll try ... in case of card's problems, i'll send back my laptop ! ..

You should reset your SMC. There is a known bug which sometimes messes up the power management resulting in severely underclocked CPU and GPU.

P.S. I advice you to ask questions like these on mac forums, people there usually know all the common problems and solutions

Deleted
    Lol i've asked also on mac forum! ... no one was able to reply me ... BTW: how could i reset smc?

You could try googling for 'reset smc' Anyway: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3964

Be sure to do it three or four times, its rather easy to get it wrong in one try.

Deleted
    ahahahah i know, but i'm a lazy boy! ... thanks for your support!! this sunday i'll try!

Deleted
    You can always repair your harddisk and permissions using the diskutility when booting into the recovery partition (hold down alt while starting).

this has nothing to do with repairing permissions or formatting and reinstalling the os, the problem is as stated before (SMC Bug) an smc reset will fix your problem no doubt; assuming you do it correctly

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by asma View Post
    this has nothing to do with repairing permissions or formatting and reinstalling the os, the problem is as stated before (SMC Bug) an smc reset will fix your problem no doubt; assuming you do it correctly
    but still directly assuming that the actual is fine? from what i've seen around me with mac's is that the gpu's and hdd's are very common for hardware failure.
    just because it is apple doesn't make their hardware different compared to others.