Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wookeh View Post
    In The Netherlands you're automatically a donor unless you have officialy said you don't wish to be one which is something you can do online. It's not registered on a driver's license but it's in our goverment's database and easily accessible by health care individuals who have the need to do so.
    No, it is still an opt-in system where you automatically have filled in "I will let my family decide".

Also, The healthcare database is not up and running. Maybe they can check in the donor registration but even then, they are still stuck with no way to check if your (say) heart is useable.

Quote Originally Posted by Wikko View Post
    Only thing I would be scared in a situation like that is that they'll start taking the organs and find out there's no one who needs one and just end up throwing them away. I wouldnt want that. If I'd give an organ it should be used.
    Not sure where you are or if the rules differ, but in the US, they match donors with recipients before removing anything.

http://www.organdonor.gov/about/orga...onprocess.html

I've been a donor since...whenever they first asked me. I won't need it anymore. Dish out my innards, give them to someone who needs it, burn the rest to ash and dump the ashes in a forest or something. I may not ever do anything spectacular with my life, but maybe someone else will be able to do something spectacular with theirs because of a transplant. *shrug*

Quote Originally Posted by Itsredd View Post
    I'm not nescessarily for or against donors, but why exactly must it be printed on a document I'm carrying with me?

Is it so that if I have a crash, and the ambulance people come, they can just take out my heart and leave the rest in the burning wreckage of my car?

(Clearly, that's not the reason. Still, I don't see the actual benefit of having it show on your license or whatever.)
    They need to know whether they should try and revive you in a hospital, or just harvest the organs and move on.

I'm really disappointed with people on this forum right now. What if your mom or dad were dying and there was no organs available or maybe your wife? Stop being so arrogant..
    I would be sad, but I wouldn't blame other people for refusing to donate their organs.

Overall, I can't argue that organ donorship shouldn't be opt-out (or even mandatory) for the good of society. There is no good reason not to have it that way. Yet, as utilitarian as I am, I cannot help but feel that I wouldn't want MY organs to go to someone upon my death. Irrational possessiveness.

I'll leave with this quote here:

Quote Originally Posted by Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang, 'Essays on Mind and Matter'
    It is every citizen's final duty to go into the [recycling] tanks, and become one with all of the people.
    Last edited by Ashnazg; 2013-03-01 at 01:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashnazg View Post
    They need to know whether they should try and revive you in a hospital, or just harvest the organs and move on.

I would be sad, but I wouldn't blame other people for refusing to donate their organs.

Overall, I can't argue that organ donorship shouldn't be opt-out (or even mandatory) for the good of society. There is no good reason not to have it that way. Yet, as utilitarian as I am, I cannot help but feel that I wouldn't want MY organs to go to someone upon my death. Irrational possessiveness.

I'll leave with this quote here:

Here's the thing. YOU'RE DEAD. You have ABSOLUTELY NO USE of the deceased organs. You are NOT a person when your dead. When you're dead, you're dead.... Do you think when you're dead you just lie still and are still in you're body? Nope, that means those organs are NO longer YOUR organs.
    Last edited by Chounga; 2013-03-02 at 05:52 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    That's actually how it works, at least in my state. You check the box and they print DONOR on your license.
    Same here. I am a doner.