Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lavafoxx View Post
    What I'm saying is that what we have now is good, and will be left as is.
    How is what we have now better than a system wherein we'll receive far more transplantable organs that will save far more lives? You're just trying to keep things the same for sameness sake?
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    From the Wikipedia page:

---------- Post added 2013-02-28 at 08:11 PM ----------

If you look at my post above, Austria has over 8 times the donation rates that Germany does because they're opt out instead of opt in. I'd like to see 8 times as many available organs for transplant in the US.
    Only thing I would be scared in a situation like that is that they'll start taking the organs and find out there's no one who needs one and just end up throwing them away. I wouldnt want that. If I'd give an organ it should be used.

You have a system which results in shortage of organs. There exists a system with a minor change which is demonstrated to be greatly superior. No reason to not change it; nothing lost, a lot gained.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Calzaeth View Post
    The way I think as well. Besides, my health is crap in so many interesting ways that I consider my registration a challenge to the medical staff: "If you find something useful, take it! "
    I had a friend murdered on the streets of Philly and since he was a donor, was able to save the lives of 3 other people AND give his eyes to someone who could use them. As hard as it was to lose a friend, knowing he saved 3 other lives gave a little comfort to his family and friends.

15+ Year Old Account
    How is what we have now better than a system wherein we'll receive far more transplantable organs that will save far more lives? You're just trying to keep things the same for sameness sake?
    I'm just gonna be bold and flat out say what I'm gonna say: saving more lives, contrary to popular belief, is NOT a desirable thing. we already have a staggering amount of people surviving to natural death and, personally, I do not believe we should compound that issue.
    If you can't make fun of something, its probably not worth taking seriously.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm just gonna be bold and flat out say what I'm gonna say: saving more lives, contrary to popular belief, is NOT a desirable thing. we already have a staggering amount of people surviving to natural death and, personally, I do not believe we should compound that issue.
    Hah, OK well if that's your stance we're simply not going to agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Rndysasqatch View Post
    Actually I was reading in the U.S. , even if you check "donor" it's still up to your family to decide if any organs get donated. So id you checked off that you'd like to donate and your family didn't like the idea , they'd stop it. I'm not sure the avenue to go down to make that official but was quite blown away by that statement.
    If that's the case, a legitimate will should alleviate any concerns. I know I wish Canada would go to an "Opt out" system. As it is - even though we're above average for donation rates - it's still far too low. My hometown has one of the highest rates @ 35% - but that was only because of an intensive campaign over the past decade by local schools/universities and a lot of publicity generated by transplantees.

It's sad that in 2010 2000 usable kidneys were donated in Canada, when 5000 people needed new kidneys. The cost benefits alone are staggering (and I bet it's even worse in the states) Dialysis costs $60 000 per year. A kidney transplant costs $25 000. Over 5 years, including the costs of drugs needed after the transplant - the transplant saves $250 000!

That's reason enough for me to make sure I'm a donor!

15+ Year Old Account
    Hah, OK well if that's your stance we're simply not going to agree.
    no, we won't. doesn't mean I don't respect your views, just won't agree with em.
    If you can't make fun of something, its probably not worth taking seriously.

That's not how the world works.

If there's a chance to turn good into better, it won't be left as is.

10+ Year Old Account
    In the US, there aren't many people starving TO DEATH. There is malnourishment and hunger, but not really death from it. Saying you'd rather have people die than check a box is kind of disturbing to me :-/

While I see where you are coming from, the current system doesn't serve anybody. It doesn't serve the people needing the transplants and it doesn't serve your view either. Why? Those people in need of transplants are costing money while they are in hospitals waiting for the organ they need.

While I don't agree on your view, the way that you should be going instead should be that no hospital care for those people either, etc, etc. Not for you either if your kidney suddenly fails. While we are at it, let's just close down hospitals and make healthcare illegal.

I'm not a organ donor. I want my whole body in tact as they tear it apart when they do an autopsy to figure out what the hell has been wrong with me all this time! I may never know the answer, but at least my family will and perhaps offer them some comfort in knowing what has be wrong.

Also I don't want to be because my uncle needed a organ, and they always gave him the run around. He would do what they say, come back to the doctor they would tell him something else, and it went on for years. He suffered for years and he finally died about 5 years ago.
    Last edited by Usako; 2013-02-28 at 08:38 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Usako View Post
    I'm not a organ donor. I want my whole body in tact as they tear it apart when they do an autopsy to figure out what the hell has been wrong with me all this time! I may never know the answer, but at least my family will and perhaps offer them some comfort in knowing what has be wrong.

Also I don't want to be because my uncle needed a organ, and they always gave him the run around. He would do what they say, come back to the doctor they would tell him something else, and it went on for years. He suffered for years and he finally died about 5 years ago.
    I'm pretty sure they can still do an autopsy AND donate your organs. That's another sore point though. I think the state should provide "free" autopsies. So much can be learned from them, including the accuracy of diagnoses and the efficacy of treatments, but they're so rarely performed anymore.

Don't you think volunteering to give an organ might prevent someone else's uncle from having to go through that runaround?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Holidae View Post
    And you'll have to be naked too when the coroner cuts you up! I think I have an idea on a new wish corruption forming in my head right now...
    You will also be naked when the undertaker dresses you, unless you would rather a close family member do it. Personally, I do not want the last thing my loved ones remember of me being my tiny shriveled up penis.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    You will also be naked when the undertaker dresses you, unless you would rather a close family member do it. Personally, I do not want the last thing my loved ones remember of me being my tiny shriveled up penis.
    If you were hanged to death it won't be so tiny.

I'm pretty sure they can still do an autopsy AND donate your organs. That's another sore point though. I think the state should provide "free" autopsies. So much can be learned from them, including the accuracy of diagnoses and the efficacy of treatments, but they're so rarely performed anymore.

Don't you think volunteering to give an organ might prevent someone else's uncle from having to go through that runaround?
    No, because I'm sure they would just do it anyway, rather I donated or not. I rather not donate into a system that where they will tell you that you need to do a list of things, you do it, come back and they say "Well now you need to do this." or tell you that to stop doing something they told you. Take you on and off medicines that they themselves put you on. "Take this medicine so you can receive your organ!" then a couple of months later "Well your not supposed to take that medicine in order to receive it!" It was the worst to go through as they just jerked his chain around, and our chains as well.

So if you ever need a transplant or some other surgery to save your life you're just going to say "No" right?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    I had a friend murdered on the streets of Philly and since he was a donor, was able to save the lives of 3 other people AND give his eyes to someone who could use them. As hard as it was to lose a friend, knowing he saved 3 other lives gave a little comfort to his family and friends.
    I am registered as a donor, they take take anything they like except for me eyes. I specifically stated that I want my eyes left alone, theres something that just un-nerves me about someone taking my eyes.

Deleted
    That's what I had on my UK driving license. Just a tick box.

Deleted
    It's funny how many people state this, yet change their mind when it's their own life or or a loved one that is in danger.

---------- Post added 2013-02-28 at 08:53 PM ----------

If you were hanged to death it won't be so tiny.
    Sadly, I will never be well hung.