Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I don't think that is true.

Rift is small. It will not catch the casual MMO market with World of Warcraft and Guild Wars 2 owning that almost totally. Not to mention the high volume and quality of F2P MMOs. Rift is better off appealing to their base and niche audience.

I do agree the grind is too excessive and maybe too many things to grind now in Rift.

Quote Originally Posted by Cupcaek View Post
    Saw your LFG thread, guess you changed your mind after all.
    I dunno, I'm still in between. Seeing what responses I get. I love Rift, but currently sub is cancelled, if I decide to try another guild, I will sub a month and see how it goes. Not entirely certain yet. I had made the decision, but not sure now.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    I dunno, I'm still in between. Seeing what responses I get. I love Rift, but currently sub is cancelled, if I decide to try another guild, I will sub a month and see how it goes. Not entirely certain yet. I had made the decision, but not sure now.
    Better then most who make up pure fallacies about Rift on the way out the door. I am sure 2.3 will pick up players again and guild will get more active with a new zone to mess around in.

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    Quite literally don't go to the darkside. You will not enjoy it...though I guess free is hard to argue with

I mean technically the best players don't 'need' any gear and they can arguably defeat the content. Most progression guilds use mostly old gear to defeat new stuff. It's just running into problems when other players are trying to dictate the needs or wants of others.

Even 'need' is an opinionated definition in this situation.

Yeah I wasn't trying to disagree with your point, just expressing that I think those days are over and we can't really let the past define anything of raiding anymore. Kinda like explaining telephones as a simple rotary instead of smartphones we currently have. Even the term traditional tends to be brought ahead in the times as the definition of a concept evolves.

Same reason we create new traditions for holidays and whatnot.
    You know, for all the crap it received, and I was on the giving end of a lot of it at times, I had fun playing. My time was ruined by the people I was playing with who were really really negative people. They were the same way in Rift as well, but they were the guild leaders and overly controlling, practically dictator like and almost ruined Rift for me as well. Once I finally broke off the "friendship" I started enjoying Rift a hell of a lot more, so I have been curious if that was my issue with SWtoR for a while now. The biggest problem I had with SWtoR was that the raids were buggy when I was raiding and other than working around the bugs were entirely too easy. I've heard mixed reviews on the new raids so kinda wanna check and see for myself. I have full Tionese tanking set so I should be able to jump right back in raiding again with minimal effort.

Also, technically noone even "needs" to play the game. I just don't like using the word "need" unless specifically referring to something like, "You need 400 Hit to enter T1 Raids," because need is such a strong word and so misused all the time.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    You know, for all the crap it received, and I was on the giving end of a lot of it at times, I had fun playing. My time was ruined by the people I was playing with who were really really negative people. They were the same way in Rift as well, but they were the guild leaders and overly controlling, practically dictator like and almost ruined Rift for me as well. Once I finally broke off the "friendship" I started enjoying Rift a hell of a lot more, so I have been curious if that was my issue with SWtoR for a while now. The biggest problem I had with SWtoR was that the raids were buggy when I was raiding and other than working around the bugs were entirely too easy. I've heard mixed reviews on the new raids so kinda wanna check and see for myself. I have full Tionese tanking set so I should be able to jump right back in raiding again with minimal effort.

Also, technically noone even "needs" to play the game. I just don't like using the word "need" unless specifically referring to something like, "You need 400 Hit to enter T1 Raids," because need is such a strong word and so misused all the time.
    Just read some of the scary threads in the SWTOR sub forum to see why you shouldn't give them any of your money. In order to raid anything beyond story mode, you have to subscribe. Unfortunately subscriptions get jack all else and basically aren't rewarded for their money at all. They've openly declared that only people who give them money in their cash shop are worth their development time and they are shortly invalidating the remaining raid content by releasing an 'expansion' that so far has proven to be the most worthless excuse of content to hold that name.

Going from Rift's expansion to that one, you will probably come running back to Rift. Maybe you should go play it!

It's really weird that I ran into my wall with the game at the same time that a lot of veteran players are getting the same reaction. It sorta validates that it isn't just me and that there is definitely something wrong with the game. I can't put my finger on it, especially since my leveling experience was so fun I would have never imagined being deflated like this. It's the first game I ever subscribed for more than a month at once, even though I played WoW since launch. That's how much confidence I had that I would playing Rift like crazy.

Now it's weird because the financial commitment has me questioning if I still like the game at all, whether I only log on because I feel like I have to, and can't discern if I'm just waiting for a splash of content and increased gear treadmill for a solo player. To make matters worse,I resubbed to WoW in this interim and have been enjoying it pretty contently so now I'm just lost in a sea of MMOs.

#nerdworldproblems
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    I can go ahead and tell you the answer is...not nearly fucking enough. Most things give 2-3 tickets now. Whoop dee fucking do. Still as pointless as ever.
    I'm with you on this - I've logged in once or twice - done all the games once and not been on again for a while - this is beginning to feel like the Cataclysm of WoW - you know - nothing new to do outside of raids - then again, feeling a bit mmo'd out too.

Hoping 2.3 is a breath of fresh air. Nice looong, interesting quest-line that gives some puzzles, rewards for doing the zone.

Quote Originally Posted by theWocky View Post
    I'm with you on this - I've logged in once or twice - done all the games once and not been on again for a while - this is beginning to feel like the Cataclysm of WoW - you know - nothing new to do outside of raids - then again, feeling a bit mmo'd out too.

Hoping 2.3 is a breath of fresh air. Nice looong, interesting quest-line that gives some puzzles, rewards for doing the zone.
    They grind they added to certain aspects of the game have all but completely turned me off even trying. World event ..no...rep runes...nope.

I am working on the pvp stuff now and the only reason I am doing this is because I am so used to grinding the exact same way in Aion that this seems normal to me right now. The cost on the pvp gear is about something fucking ridiculous right now for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by theWocky View Post

Well to be honest while I think SL has some issues *too much grind being the main issue* I don't think its anywhere near as bad as things were in cataclysm. I think a lot of people just might have burned themselves out. I know I do it to myself. Play a ton then next thing you know I barely log on for a month or two. But the extra grind in SL certainly doesn't help things. Also having a major patch with very little new content didn't help either.

However based off what I have heard about 2.3 so far I have a feeling that will be a come back patch. Ideally it should have been before 2.3 but we have to be realistic as well. A lot of people were cut so they seem to be working with a much smaller team right now so we can't expect the same amount of content at the same speeds as before.

But really I think a lot of people just need breaks it doesn't matter how good a game is, eventually you will get bored of it and need something new at least for awhile.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hotfix #5 has dropped an hour earlier than usual because this time it includes a 3 hour "server software" update window for North America

RIFT 2.2 Hotfix #5 - 7:00am PST 3/27/13 [NA] - 1:00am GMT 28/3/13 [EU]

GENERAL

* Warfronts: Fixed a case where some players' damage and healing stats were not being properly displayed.
    * Guild Perks: Updated the description of Cache Finder to indicate that its bonus applies to all Plaques, Marks, and Stones from Expert Dungeons and Raids, as well as Infinity Stones and Empyreal Sourcestones.

ZONES

A HERO RISES [Chronicle]

* Potential(!) fix for hotbars

EMPYREAN CORE

* Slightly reduced the damage of the general population immediately before Kaliban.

FROZEN TEMPEST

* Crucia: Tempest Flash should no longer get stuck casting over and over.

STILLMOOR

* Rise and Fall: Quest no longer applies an infinite-duration speed reduction debuff.

STEPPES OF INFINITY

* Fixed some Instant Adventures getting stuck running in the same location repeatedly.

STORM BREAKER PROTOCOL

* Blame Your Slag achievement should now work properly.

TRIUMPH OF THE DRAGON QUEEN

* Chasing the White Dragon achievement should now work properly.

SOULS

* The following Area of Effect beam abilities now stop at the target instead of continuing past: Marksman's Sentry Battery, Tactician's Infernal Beam, and Tactician's Curative Beam.

CLERIC

CABALIST

* Unbounded Oblivion - new ability. Ground targeted version of Unleash Oblivion available at 61 points.

INQUISITOR

* Soul Drain: Now a targeted AoE ability.

WARDEN

* Dangers of the Deep: Buff effect now lasts 15 seconds, up from 10.

MAGE

ARCHON

* Patron's Rage: Now refreshes Archon's Aura at the beginning of the channel.
    * Blood Pact: Now increases the maximum number of stacks of the Archon's Searing Vitality buff by 1-2.
    * Shared Vigor: Base values increased to match the values of comparable buffs in the same stacking group.
    * Empowered Aegis: Now increases the resistance bonus granted to you by Crumbling Resistance by 10-30%. Crumbling Resistance also increases your damage by 2-6%.
    * Arcane Aegis: Base values increased to match the values of comparable buffs in the same stacking group.
    * Archon's Bulwark: Now also increases damage dealt by 6% to match the changes to Empowered Aegis.

NECROMANCER

* Fixed an issue with the max-ranked Lesser Skeletal Knight. It will now level up to 30 as indicated on the description.
    * Loyal Minion: Now removes crowd control effects on the caster when cast, and can be used while crowd controlled.

PYROMANCER

* Flame Sigil: Removed.
    * Flame Rupture - new ability replacing Flame Sigil. Debuffs the enemy, applying a stack of Combust every 2 seconds on up to 5 targets within 7 meters. 15 second duration, 15 second cooldown.
    * Fulminate: No longer gains a benefit from stacks of Combust on the target.
    * Pyromancer's Aegis: Can now proc an additional Fireball up to once every 3 seconds.
    * Increased the damage of Fireball, Flame Bolt, Cinder Burst, Flame Volley, Fulminate, and Fusillade.
    * Fixed an issue preventing Fireballs procced by Pyromancer's Aegis from critically hitting.

STORMCALLER

* Lightning Arc: Now instant-cast. Reduced cooldown to 30 seconds.
    * Static Nova, Electric Charge: Now instant-cast.
    * Storm Surge, Hailstorm: Reduced cooldowns to 15 seconds.
    * Lightning Burst: No longer consumes stacks of Electrified, but now has a 10 second cooldown and reduced damage. Lightning Burst now deals 30% of the damage done to up to 5 enemies within 7 meters of the initial target, per stack of Electrified on the initial target.
    * Eye of the Storm: Reduced cooldown to 30 seconds.
    * Storm Shard: Removed PvP damage reduction.

WARLOCK

* Draining Bolt: Fixed this appearing to heal the enemy for 0.

ROGUE

MARKSMAN

* Sentry Battery: Now affects a maximum of 5 targets per pulse.

TACTICIAN

* Power Core: Functionality Changed. Now debuffs nearby enemies, increasing the damage they take by 10%. No longer in the same stacking group as Lava Field and Orchestra of the Planes, but now is in the same stacking group as Wild Growth.
    * Infernal Beam: Now affects a maximum of 8 targets per pulse.
    * Infernal Torrent, Glacial Torrent, Necrotic Torrent: Now affect a maximum of 8 targets per pulse. Initial energy cost increased to 15 from 10. Energy drained per second of channel has been reduced to 1 from 5.
    * Curative Torrent: Initial energy cost increased to 15 from 10. Energy drained per second of channel has been reduced to 1 from 5.
    * Heat Vent: Now reduces the initial energy cost of Torrents by 1-5, down from 2-10.

WARRIOR

BEASTMASTER

* Brotherhood: Removed.
    * Abolition - New Ability replacing Brotherhood. Your Fierce Strike has a 50-100% chance to remove 1 buff from the target.
    * Companion's Call, Alert Companion: Removed.
    * Guardianship - New Ability replacing Companion's Call. Restores a specified amount of HP to up to 5 party or raid members. 20 second cooldown.
    * Tutelage - New ability replacing Alert Companion. Causes Guardianship to heal for additional health over 6 seconds.
    * Hunt Master: Now also increases the range of Fierce Strike and Brutal Strike by 10-20 meters.
    * Loyalty: Functionality changed. Now reduces casting time of your summon by 50%.
    * Claw Swipe [pet ability]: Now has a 15 second cooldown, up from 3.
    * Call of Blood, Call of the Forest: Should now be affected by the Preferred Ally effect from Tier 3 PA.
    * Bond of Shelter: Now a toggled ability.
    * Calming Influence: Now puts an enemy to sleep for 8 seconds. Can be used against targets in combat.
    * Messy Wounds: Now lasts 30 seconds, up from 15.
    * Cunning Ruse: Now has a 15 second cooldown, down from 30. Damage increased.
    * Twin Cuts: Now has a 20 second cooldown, down from 30.
    * Pack Mentality: Fixed a bug where the damage bonus from Pack Mentality was benefiting 2x as much as indicated. Fixed the bonus persisting on the character even after your pet was dismissed.

PALADIN

* Light's Decree: The additional damage effect from single target abilities should no longer benefit from any damage bonuses like the Riftblade crystal.

PARAGON

* Weapon Familiarity: Effect tooltip now displays properly.

REAVER

* Creeping Corruption: Now also reduces the healing done by surrounding enemies by 15%. Generates additional threat, and now affects up to 10 targets.
    * Dire Corruption: Damage increased. No longer requires an enemy target to use. Now applies persistent corruption effect on the Warrior's current position. Generates additional threat. Now affects up to 10 targets.
    * Stumbling Corruption: Now applies persistent corruption effect on the Warrior's current position. Deals Death damage and snares affected targets within the area. No longer requires a target to use. Generates additional threat. Now affects up to 10 targets. Cooldown increased to 30 seconds.
    * Decaying Corruption: Damage increased. Now applies persistent corruption effect on the Warrior's current position. Deals Death damage and additional damage to targets moving within the area. No longer deals additional damage based on number of DoT effects. No longer requires a target to use. Generates additional threat. Now affects up to 10 targets, cooldown reduced to 30 seconds.
    * Corruptions no longer persist when you die or log out.
    * Binding of Devouring Darkness: Now also increases healing taken by 5%.
    * Grisly Works: Now also deals 50-100% of your weapon's damage to enemies around you when the tagged enemy dies.
    * Shadow of Dread: Functionality changed. You now charge to the target, applying Soul Sickness, Blood Fever, Necrotic Wounds, and Flesh Rot if available. Grants 1 Attack Point.
    * Blood Fever: No longer tagged as a Bleed effect.

RIFTBLADE

* Planar Blade: Fixed a tooltip error for Planar Blade showing a 25% chance to refresh Riftwalk, Rift Summon, and Rift Travel, rather than 15%.

TEMPEST

* Arc: Now only triggers from direct damaging single-target ranged attacks and no longer triggers from damage-over-time attacks.

VOID KNIGHT

* Unstable Reaction: You can now move while channeling this.

WARLORD

* A Quick Death: Fixed a bug where this was tagged as a retaliatory attack and benefiting from bonuses to retaliatory attacks like Balance of Power.
    * Ready Posture, Battlefield Experience: Can now be affected by Preferred Ally.
    Some nice tweaks to Mages and Warriors, be interesting to see how it all pans out

Source: http://forums.riftgame.com/official-...8-3-13-eu.html
    Last edited by Slipmat; 2013-03-27 at 02:09 PM.

I am glad to see the changes to Tact, finally solves the issue of Tactard vs 61Bard. I mean it was pretty commonly accepted among higher end players that Orchestra of the Planes was better since you probably had a couple Tactmen anyway for PC and the 15s of OotP was better during Flaring Power then 10s of Power Core with and 10 without. Now, it doesn't matter and will not see the Power Core vs OotP debate anymore. It's OotP hands down now.

Awaiting the mathies to tell me how to play a Pyromancer so I can see if I still hate it from original Rift...

10+ Year Old Account
    Hitting North America just now, 2 hours later than usual, here's Hotfix #6

RIFT 2.2 Hotfix #6 - 10:00am PST 4/3/13 [NA] - 1:00am GMT 4/4/13 [EU]

GENERAL

* Further decreased the damage reduction on AoE damage in PVP for levels 45+.
    * PVP: Fixed Chilling Rune triggering diminishing returns in PVP.
    * Dimension item Orange Brevane Lightpost now glows.

ZONES

* Ashora: Onslaught: Fixed some pathing for Onslaught invasions heading into Dendrome.
    * Droughtlands: Pesticide Genocide: Quest item now remains usable for the second objective if you die or exit an instance without using it.

FREEMARCH AND SILVERWOOD

Quest content in all of Freemarch and Silverwood has been adjusted for a smoother experience.
    - Main story quests are more clearly marked, with improved rewards.
    - Many ancillary quests now auto-complete when objectives are finished.
    - Many unique named mobs are now Carnage quests with improved rewards, and can be completed by both factions.
    * Freemarch: The Porticulum at Knight's Stand has been moved to Denegar's Stand.
    * Silverwood: A Porticulum has been added to Highglades Lookout, near the entrance to Hedgerow Court.
    Source: http://forums.riftgame.com/official-...4-4-13-eu.html

I thought they only added a Porticuluum near Hedgerow Court only a few weeks back

10+ Year Old Account
    I wish they would streamline questing for every zone and add the named mobs/some additional carnage quests to those zones. I'm trying to rekindle my desire to play this game as I started questing on my alt last night. I added a soul to my rogue and went bard and so far it feels fun, hopefully it can keep me motivated to make it to SL content and maybe the bug will catch again for me to gear up and do dailies and all that jazz again.
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    Trion is spoiling us this week, here's another hotfix, this one adds some excellent reasons to once again go back to the old zones and do Events while mentored down. No more little Johnny solo pew pew heroes one shotting bosses, here's Hotfix #7

RIFT 2.2 Hotfix #7 - 8:00am PST 4/5/13 [NA] - 1:00am GMT 6/4/13 [EU]

GENERAL

* Freemarch: The walls of Iron Fortress have been rebuilt! Quests can once again be completed in the area.
    * Zone Events: Unmentored high-level characters may find that their damage is reduced against low-level colossi. Mentoring down to the level of the boss will allow you to deal normal damage.
    * Zone events in classic Rift zones now grant a small number of Empyreal Sourcestones or Infinity Stones to high-level characters who mentor down to the level of the event.
    * Marks of Notoriety are now granted to high level characters from Storm Legion and classic Rift zone events when mentored. These can be redeemed in Tempest Bay for consumable items that grant notoriety with Storm Legion factions.
    * Endless Eclipse: Fixed an issue preventing dead characters from obtaining the Used Tactics achievement.
    * Frozen Tempest: Fixed issue that prevented the Rapid Assault achievement from being awarded.
    * Triumph of the Dragon Queen: Chasing the White Dragon achievement should be granting properly. Updated description to indicate that this is a personal achievement, not dependent on the entire group.
    * Collection quests no longer consider items with Runes on them as quest items.
    Source: http://forums.riftgame.com/official-...6-4-13-eu.html

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slipmat View Post
    Trion is spoiling us this week, here's another hotfix, this one adds some excellent reasons to once again go back to the old zones and do Events while mentored down. No more little Johnny solo pew pew heroes one shotting bosses, here's Hotfix #7
    Depends on who you are. Being able to solo old content for achievments and completion is something that is enjoyed by more players. I agree it's weird that it can sorta ruin someone else's experience, while for example soloing instances does not. Does the hotfix still allow you to take less damage, just reduces your output?

If that's the case I can see that is a fair tradeoff to have everyone able to complete an open world event.
    BAD WOLF

That last batch was particularly exciting for me since my gf just started playing and I spend a lot of my out-of-raid time mentored down to play with her. And, in addition to playing with her, I get some nice rewards.

Deleted
    did some old zone events today and it was quite fun
    Plenty of low level ppl also in these zones!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Calliso View Post
    Well to be honest while I think SL has some issues *too much grind being the main issue* I don't think its anywhere near as bad as things were in cataclysm. I think a lot of people just might have burned themselves out. I know I do it to myself. Play a ton then next thing you know I barely log on for a month or two. But the extra grind in SL certainly doesn't help things. Also having a major patch with very little new content didn't help either.
    Yeah, I wouldn't consider myself burnt out after some time for reflection. "Bored of it" would be my current feeling. Game is lack-lustre, has repetitive events and feels like a grind - we know mmo's are, but they're supposed to feel "fun" while doing so.

Who honestly feels like that Ashora boss is epic after doing it two or three times? What is fun about shooting a target dummy? Should have been made into a 20-man. Yeah, I've forgotten his name - shows how infrequently I've been participating.

That pitiful excuse for a 2.2 carnival patch that was just painful to grind tickets made me not even bother. What was it, 500 tickets for an item? The games? Hands up who didn't just pop balloons in a raid after trying the other crap? This is supposed to be fun??? Why not put in a quest line for each item instead of wasting code time on those games?

If something is too tough for too little reward, people don't bother. A game like Vanilla WoW can't survive in the western game society. An mmo game needs to cater for a casual guy and a raider - it can't just be for one. There will be more raiders as well if they manage to make the initial gear step-up easier.

Why not put in few story quests that take 2~3 hours each for each slot/piece of gear? Like the lvl 50 epic pants in Ember Isle - do it for a piece of blue empyrean gear - doesn't have to be epic. Make the raid the challenge, not the gear-grind. I'm hoping 2.3 is better.

EDIT: I like the patch #7 ideas - going to log on in a moment to see how it works.
    Last edited by theWocky; 2013-04-07 at 09:54 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    As we wait for the hellbugs from Defiance to pour through a Rift (check the Planes achievements under Fire)

We have to make do with Hotfix #8

RIFT 2.2 Hotfix #8 - 8:00am PST 4/10/13 [NA] - 1:00am GMT 11/4/13 [EU]

GENERAL

* Removed experience from several fast-spawning mobs used for daily quests in Steppes of Infinity.
    * Server optimizations for a serious attempt at reducing ability lag!

SOULS

ROGUE

BLADEDANCER

* Dauntless Strike: No longer increases the Critical Hit chance of group members. Now applies a debuff to the target, increasing the target's chance to be critically hit by 5%. KNOWN ISSUE: Currently the debuff duration is not increasing based on number of combo points used.
    * Blade Hustle: Additional effect added - you now gain Blade Hustle every 3 seconds, increasing the damage of your next Quick Strike or Precision Strike by 3-9%. Stacks up to 10 times.
    * Disengage: Can now be used at any time. Now on global cooldown.
    * Dancing Steel, Hundred Blades: Now has a 30 second cooldown, down from 60.

RANGER

* Blood Raptor now has a new ability! They can now charge at the target, dealing physical damage.
    * Escape Artist: Cooldown reduced to 1 minute, down from 2.
    * Fleeting Instinct: Effect can now be applied both in and out of combat.
    * Ace Shot: Debuff now lasts 15 seconds, down from 60. Now also debuffs the target, increasing damage taken from the player by 6%.

WARRIOR

BEASTMASTER

* Cunning Ruse, Primal Lucidity: No longer flagged as AoE attacks, and will no longer benefit from bonuses to AoE attacks.

PALADIN

* Face Slam, Aggressive Block: No longer requires a shield to use.
    * Shield Throw: Renamed to 'Kick'. No longer requires a shield to use. KNOWN ISSUE: Currently can still be used at range and with the shield-throwing VFX.
    * Shield Charge: Renamed to 'Righteous Charge'. No longer requires a shield to use.

PARAGON

* Strike Like Iron: No longer has a cooldown. Duration increased to 60 seconds, up from 20. Damage bonus increased to 8-24% from 7-21%.
    * Way of the Wind, Alacrity: Can now be affected by Preferred Ally.
    * Fleet of Foot: No longer on global cooldown.
    * Setting Moon: Buff now lasts 20 seconds, up from 15.
    * Death Touch: Now deals damage instantly. Snares and debuffs the target, reducing their strength and dexterity by 80% for 8 seconds.

RIFTBLADE

* Icy Burst, Fiery Burst: Energy cost increased. Damage of 3-point Finisher increased. Damage of 1 and 2-point Finisher reduced.
    * Storm Burst, Earth Burst: Damage of 3-point Finisher increased. Damage of 1 and 2-point Finisher reduced.
    Source: http://forums.riftgame.com/official-...1-4-13-eu.html

Some more Rogue and Warrior love