10+ Year Old Account

March patch to fix culling

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/g...ill-Bring.html

Habib Loew interview with MMORPG.com about the March content patch and YAY culling will be gone for good. Plus other WvW stuff like the new progression system - ranks, titles, wvw abilities,
    Valar morghulis

I hope the killing of culling in WvW will bleed over into PVE as well, because it's needed there too.

Idk know about this. Seems like for me the result will be that instead of not being able to see what is killing me, I'll get to see it in stop motion and not be able to do anything about it anyways ><

Idk. I think I would probably see it before I get in there and get stop motion you say Arlee. The problem is when you pass it or even is there and you can't see. If you are there and can see it's because you want XD right? If you are there and can see (stop motion or not) is still a choice XD and you get to see from a distance and make that choice now.

I hope for PvE too.

I agree that could be an issue, Arlee, but I would expect that a) that would be tested in some way, as that was one of the reasons for culling (that and server/network performance are the key issues, and they've thrown money at the latter problem) and b) since they said there would be "options" related to it, those may play some role in minimizing that impact. Perhaps they'll reduce textures (maybe use a standard, low-texture body for combatants they haven't received sufficient data on, or on combatants that exceed X number of characters on the screen)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    Idk know about this. Seems like for me the result will be that instead of not being able to see what is killing me, I'll get to see it in stop motion and not be able to do anything about it anyways ><
    There will be the option to set your own level of culling as your PC can handle. Or none, obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    There will be the option to set your own level of culling as your PC can handle. Or none, obviously.
    Oh? I thought they were just getting rid of it completely. I know even now when there are a lot of people around my FPS drops pretty low, so if I can tweak the culling it might help with that.

* Tweaks culling so much so that I am alone in the game!! RAWR

I kid I kid

Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    Oh? I thought they were just getting rid of it completely. I know even now when there are a lot of people around my FPS drops pretty low, so if I can tweak the culling it might help with that.

* Tweaks culling so much so that I am alone in the game!! RAWR

I kid I kid
    Well, just going off the interview:

Habib Loew: Hah, yeah we have seen a lot of the skepticism on the Internet. The change we made in January was really just a tweak to the system. It changed the priorities of Culling but did not eliminate it. The change in March will turn off Culling completely. You will now see every character within range of you. There will be several different options for how other players are presented to you, on the client side that you can choose from so you can control how it works for you.

I don't have much issue running the game. Pretty smooth for me.

Ah I see, I missed that when I skimmed through

Deleted
    After the mess that was November/December patch & rehashed in January, I`ll believe it when I see it. Or when I don`t ;p

Tad curious, if they are turning off culling, are the options for turning parts on & off to make it easier for lower end machines that still struggle?

Either way, fingers crossed that they don`t just add more bugs

Quote Originally Posted by Fishbait View Post
    After the mess that was November/December patch & rehashed in January, I`ll believe it when I see it. Or when I don`t ;p

Tad curious, if they are turning off culling, are the options for turning parts on & off to make it easier for lower end machines that still struggle?

Either way, fingers crossed that they don`t just add more bugs
    Since reading is sooooo hard, I'll repeat Fencers quote:

Habib Loew: Hah, yeah we have seen a lot of the skepticism on the Internet. The change we made in January was really just a tweak to the system. It changed the priorities of Culling but did not eliminate it. The change in March will turn off Culling completely. You will now see every character within range of you. There will be several different options for how other players are presented to you, on the client side that you can choose from so you can control how it works for you.
    The specifics of those options aren't known, but making sure players on low end hardware can play it is a concern (as that was one of 3 reasons [being server/network performance, client performance, and client network performance] for culling; they fixed the first by throwing money at the problem, the third isn't a huge concern if people aren't on dial-up, which leaves the second--and options for fine-tuning it to your hw is a great way to fix that)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

Good riddance. This is definitely one of my least favorite things about the game. I didn't get a nice computer just so I couldn't see anybody half the time.

Assuming we can set our own "culling" level, it should be a no-brainer it would operate as so for PVE.

Which is nice. Because I can now finally see the people I am talking to in Lion's Arch. o_O

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    Good riddance. This is definitely one of my least favorite things about the game. I didn't get a nice computer just so I couldn't see anybody half the time.
    Agreed!

My laptop finally died and so with our taxes we splurged on a new PC for me. I also took a 3-4 month break from GW2 (yeah I missed Christmas for family) and came back to sort of a mess. But everything should be even better once Culling is out of the way.

Deleted
    I don't think this means options to regulate culling, but options like always using the generic invader models etc.

If culling would be an option, it would give people with high end maschines a HUGE advantage (more as they already have due to better fps) as they wouldn't only have better control because of fps, but they could see their enemies, but their enemies couldn't see them. Would be like a kind of stealth based on your pc performance...

Deleted
    I'll believe it when I see it.

So far all the "improvements" we've seen to culling have left me rather skeptical.

Deleted
    Can't wait for this