5.2 Burst of Speed

I know this talent doesnt get a lot of attention since its on the same tier as Shadowstep.

Correct me if I am wrong, but this talent has changed significantly since live, and the last 5.2 patch notes I remember reading for this talent had it as:

30 energy cost
    no cooldown
    Breaks snares (not roots)
    Adds 70% (?) speed for 4 seconds
    Immune to snaring effects for the duration

Is that correct? Im not too sure about the last 2 points there.

If it is, it seems extremely strong. Sure, you can't break roots - but neither can SS.

It seems to have potential for allowing massive uptime on a target at the cost of 30 energy. Im thinking this is really good?

Is it going to be a good alternative for Shadowstep in 5.2 or have I got this wrong?

It doesn't grants immunity, just breaks the snares and gives movement speed.

Deleted
    I'm pretty sure its 50 energy in 5.2 (Been reduced from 60 energy).. It's pretty strong, even on live, but it all depends on play style.. since your damage aint that high anyways sitting in a snare for 8 sec (in 3s you should get dispelled but not always possible), you can use those 8 secs to generate combo points with shuriken toss... We cant really afford to lose 50 energy of breaking snares, if we also want to have energy for; Gouge, Garrote, Kidney, CS and even damaging spells.

Quote Originally Posted by Mejenna View Post
    I'm pretty sure its 50 energy in 5.2 (Been reduced from 60 energy).. It's pretty strong, even on live, but it all depends on play style.. since your damage aint that high anyways sitting in a snare for 8 sec (in 3s you should get dispelled but not always possible), you can use those 8 secs to generate combo points with shuriken toss... We cant really afford to lose 50 energy of breaking snares, if we also want to have energy for; Gouge, Garrote, Kidney, CS and even damaging spells.
    Last edited by Alidori; 2013-02-28 at 11:48 AM.

Deleted
    Must have been a "new" change then because i think i remember it being 50 energy, but oh well just forgot what I said about that then ;-)

It's 50 energy on live. Was 30 energy on PTR since day 1.

Deleted
    Guess It's time for me to go read patch-notes again... Sorry for my lack of knowledge

Im keen to try it out. It seems like it would be an either/or with Shuriken Toss, since both seem to fill an "uptime gap" utility while being kited. I want to try MfD too, so I may try out BoS over ST initially.

And it doesn't break stealth now. Probably one of the biggest changes.

Deleted
    And it doesn't break stealth now. Probably one of the biggest changes.
    The new solo old content talent has arrived!

It's been said, but I'll summarize:

On live:
    50 energy
    Modal: If you are snared or rooted, it breaks the snare or root. Then it grants you a freedom effect for 4 seconds. There is no actual speed increase.
    If you are NOT snared or rooted, it gives you a 70% speed increase for four seconds. There is no freedom effect.
    It breaks stealth on use.

On PTR:
    30 energy
    Breaks a snare (not a root) AND gives you a 70% movement increase. There is no root breaking, or freedom effect.
    It no longer breaks stealth.

On live, this can be chosen versus a root-heavy team. You can have reasonable uptime and greater control versus a mage or druid. It is very heavy in energy cost, however, and should never be used simply for the actual burst of speed- it should be used to break snares occasionally, and roots specifically. You would almost never want this as your general all-around talent- it's not worth prep or shadowstep except in situations such as described.

In 5.2, there's been very little discussion regarding this talent. The general opinion seems to be "who cares we get shadowstep, and lets figure out how to break cloak and dagger". The loss of the root break is a massive nerf, but the fact that you gain both a snare break AND the speed boost is a massive buff.

Lets discuss:

1)- When you would take this talent for solo pvp (duels)
    2)- Which comps you would choose this talent for in 3s or even 5s
    3)- If this talent is acceptable in RBGs.
    4)- If this talent is strong for solo pve content.
    5)- When you would use this talent in a raid.

For (1), I don't know, but I'll guess. I think the big deal is that you can't be kited by non-casters if you have this talent. The mobility tier is already weak if you are in solo combat versus a warrior, paladin, etc- mostly shadowstep is favored because it can combine with kidney shot to avoid the melee hit table, something almost every other stun gets for free. I actually think it will see some use in these situations, because you'll be able to gain range on enemies, and combined with shuriken toss we may have some interesting duelling ideas.

For (2), I'm almost positive you will use this versus cleave. Choose any two melee, and I'm pretty sure that if they tunnel you, burst of speed will be a viable defense- you basically force them to stun you to stay in melee with them, and once the stun is over you can skate away to ease pressure again. It's very standard for these teams to also snare you and use their superior mobility to go sit your healer or partner, and this should help with that too. I don't see it being great versus root-heavy teams, as you spend enough time rooted that the cost of running towards the enemy at 70% won't outweigh shadowstep or the burst cycle of cloak and dagger. I think this is the most interesting part about this, but then, I actually care about 3s.

For (3), while I plan to play RBGs in 5.2, I don't think this will be a big part of that. Cloak and Dagger creates a harder to peel situation that can be important in getting the kill that matters, and surviving / kiting isn't as strong. Maybe for some maps- could someone who remembers what RBGs were like back when we were allowed in them above 1500 theorize on this?

I think this will be a premier solo talent. The whole tier shines in solo, but you will pretty much always have this silly sprint available. You'll probably find yourself in a thing where you try to predict your burst of speed correctly so that you land on your enemy as fast as possible with a nearly full set of energy. The combination with shadow focus will make this the premier leveling set of talents as well. I am very much looking forward to having access to this through most of my playtime on Verain, because I think this is going to be awesome.

For raids, you use this talent any time your uptime matters enough that shadowstep doesn't cut it. Mostly, it will be ignored in raids- it has an energy cost, and shadowstep both does not and is faster to reach a target. If a boss actually snares you, it will be useful there, however.

The only downside to this change is that we have no answer to root based trickery, and up until now, we always have. Or at least since like BC. Improved Sprint wasn't an arena choice for a lot of the time, but it WAS part of HARP and later SHARP.

Overall, exciting talent IMO.

Not breaking on stealth makes this talent amazing, but the reduced energy cost is great too.

I use this with Nightstalker, meaning you can travel in stealth at 204% speed for 100% of the time.

Deleted
    I still think shadowsstep is amazing against etc KFC. Because we have to take traps, and Shadowstep macro on healer make this alot easier really.
    Shadowstep i still pref for RBGs, since rogues are high kill targets because they often are forced into overextending, this is where shadowstep shines being able to shadowstep back to the healers after getting Deathgripped.