Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

NVIDIA Display Driver version 314.07 has stopped responding

Hello dear MMO'ers :)

my NVIDIA display driver just keeps crashing. I've been having this issue for a while now, tried so many things. But this is it for me. I give up. Whenever I play WoW, my display driver just stops responding, my screen goes to black for a couple of seconds and then it puts me back to my desktop. The only thing I'm able to do then is ctrl+alt+del and then go to task mngr. open the processes tab and manually shut down WoW. This can happen max. 3 times a day but sometimes it happens 0 times a day. It usually crashes after I log into WoW for the first time and after I played for a little while, it crashes. 5 hours later it crashes again. Now as I've said it doesn't happen every day, it's just a pain in the arse and so far I haven't fixed it yet.

YES. I did update my drivers, hurr durr derp. That's not the issue. I also downgraded to other NVIDIA drivers, crashes are still happening. Tried running the game on medium settings for one day and 2 crashes. so the game settings are not causing it either. Also took my 660ti out of my case and made it dust-free.. err... not that there was much dust in it... but whatever lol. My GPU is overlocked, yes. I assure you thats not the issue either, it crashes when its non-OC'd and also crashes when it's OC'd. The card is factory OC'd btw but that doesn't mean you can't OC it even furthrer :p

my old GTX460 had no issues at all... this only happens when playing WoW. Skyrim is fine at ultra settings, The Witcher 2 has no issues either... so is anyone else having this problem?

cheers

How long have you had your GTX 660TI? Did the drivers start crashing as soon as you upgraded to this card? Also, when you mention you have downgraded to other NVIDIA drivers, which ones have you tried? I've personally found the 310.70 to be pretty stable for my GTX 680 that I had. So, if you haven't tried 310.70 ones, do a clean installation and give them a try, imo.

In addition, have you tried playing the game in DX9 mode (if you're playing in DX11 mode)? Have you replaced anything else in your PC?

It could be a number of factors, even including your RAM going bad, but lets take it slowly first.

10+ Year Old Account
    Are you running any addons? Might be a long shot, but they could be conflicting with the card.

This may also not be the issue, but try running the repair for wow.

Deleted
    Sounds extremely similar to the issues I had on my old graphics card. Which has since been upgraded, twice. I don't really know the solution, since I ended up replacing it since it sucked anyway.

Might be a good idea to run a demanding benchmark, like the Unigine Valley one, to see if you have any issues with it.

By the way, did you thoroughly remove the drivers before attempting different versions of the driver?

Try underclock your GPU, sometimes cards aren't stable at factory OC.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Set a custom fan profile with msi afterburner with min fan speed at least 40% and use it while playing wow.
    Since your gpu ain't a reference model and it's factory overclocked you have this problem because you have a kepler gpu (600 series) where gpu boost comes into play and messes things up, other things you can try is using "prefer maximum performance" instead of "adaptive" at power management options.
    I'm having the same problem as you with my factory overclocked 680 basically the driver crashes non-stop while playing wow without a custom fan profile but for some reason the driver never crashes when i use the custom fan profile with a min fan speed of 40% up from 20% which the manufacturer set it at.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakoes View Post
    How long have you had your GTX 660TI? Did the drivers start crashing as soon as you upgraded to this card? Also, when you mention you have downgraded to other NVIDIA drivers, which ones have you tried? I've personally found the 310.70 to be pretty stable for my GTX 680 that I had. So, if you haven't tried 310.70 ones, do a clean installation and give them a try, imo.

In addition, have you tried playing the game in DX9 mode (if you're playing in DX11 mode)? Have you replaced anything else in your PC?

It could be a number of factors, even including your RAM going bad, but lets take it slowly first.
    I've got this card for approx. 2 months now, ever since I bought MoP on the 2nd of December it kept crashing. Just like you, I also tried 310.70 and did a few clean reinstalls. Nothing worked there. Haven't tried playing in DX9, but I doubt that could be causing it, but i'll give it a try. I've got this gaming rig for approx 2 months and havent replaced anything.

I am running addons, but they don't interfere. When I was leveling my warrior from 85-90 I didnt use any addons and still crashed 1-2 times a day.

Yes, I'd try the game in DX9 mode, just to see. Have you tried running the WoW repair tool as well? Have you also tried resetting your settings from the WoW launcher and then redoing the settings? I noticed a big FPS boost when I did this with the release of MOP, which may sound like it's out of context for you here, but do give it a try as you never know if that might do anything.

I'm guessing there might is a hardware fault elsewhere if that still doesn't fix it, as you've told us that you've tried a lot of different drivers.
    Just out of curiosity, what PSU (power supply) are you using? I don't think it could be that, but I'm just wondering.

However, since you said that your old 460 was fine, I'm still leaning towards something being wrong with your 660ti, or it may have developed a fault. Do you have MSI Afterburner/EVGA Precision? Try reducing it's core clock speed and increasing the fan speed slightly.

So if you've done everything mentioned, and it's still crashing I'd say run a memtest (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaHL9usaM4Q)
    This is because RAM is known to go bad sometimes, and that can cause game crashes. Oh and do you get an error popup message after crashing, saying something like 'Error 132 - The memory could not be 'read'. at all? If so, that's another big sign of your RAM going bad.
    Last edited by Drakoes; 2013-03-01 at 08:25 PM.

Deleted
    cleaned inside ? sorts mine when it does a similar thing on a 470

10+ Year Old Account
    Good evening :)

My psu is a pc power&cooling silencer mkii. Nothing wrong with it, 750w and silver 80+. I used MSI afterburner for my old 460 too and also use it for my current 660ti. I've got work tomorrow btw, so I'll try out those things you folks mentioned tomorrow evening. Thanks for the help so far :)

This is very much a known issue. In fact, there's been quite a lot of official Battle.net forum traffic about it. Check here.

i have exactly same problem , i wish i could solve it

Deleted
    most are solved as suggested by adjusting the voltage also check with either afterburner or precision x on how hot the card is getting

I had a problem with this happening when i had a Geforce 295.
    I had to manually set it to never get above 70c or else it started bugging out on me.

But as long as i kept it under that it was fine.

Needs more voltage or less OC.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...rning/advanced
    i5-3570k @ 4.4ghz - R9-280X @ 1150Mhz on stock voltage - 8GB of DDR3 Ram @ 1866Mhz

Those errors can be very misleading especially if other people are encountering the same issues, while the factory OC on your card isn't stable. So I just recommend trying to play a different game, if you don't have just try some free games like planetside 2.

Perform a windows rollback to remove the last 2 updates inc the service pack 1 and the problem will go away. Had the same problem this week with my cards and that solved it. Knew it had to be a software issue, hence performing the rollback of recent updates.

10+ Year Old Account
    Defo a stability issue. Have had this before myself actually, sometimes the chips are just pushed beyond their boundaries by factory.

You can RMA them for not living up to their specs though.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was having problems with the international version so I installed the US_English version this morning and there have been no problems so far.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Faithh View Post
    Those errors can be very misleading especially if other people are encountering the same issues, while the factory OC on your card isn't stable. So I just recommend trying to play a different game, if you don't have just try some free games like planetside 2.
    So far I've played Skyrim, The Witcher 2, AC3 on this card. None of them have issues and I can easily run them at the highest settings. Thank god I'm not the only one having this problem.