Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Dalaran after the Siege of Orgrimmar

Personally I think the Horde needs its own magic group, and even after the war winds down it wouldn't make sense for the Horde to be eager pile back in there, or for the rest of the Kirin Tor to be eager to have the guys who backstabbed them twice in town again.

Now, while Northrend-Dalaran is frozen in time to the Wotlk expansion, in content after MoP I think it'd be cool to have separate mage groups, not just the Sunreavers/Blood Elves to counter the multi-racial Kirin Tor, but toss in some Forsaken and maybe some orc and troll mages too.

What do you think?
    Twas brillig

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skytotem View Post
    Personally I think the Horde needs its own magic group, and even after the war winds down it wouldn't make sense for the Horde to be eager pile back in there, or for the rest of the Kirin Tor to be eager to have the guys who backstabbed them twice in town again.

Now, while Northrend-Dalaran is frozen in time to the Wotlk expansion, in content after MoP I think it'd be cool to have separate mage groups, not just the Sunreavers/Blood Elves to counter the multi-racial Kirin Tor, but toss in some Forsaken and maybe some orc and troll mages too.

What do you think?
    Horde already have the Reliquary. Which has a similar role of finding and storing magical artifacts for the Horde. So if there isn't some kind of peace between the Kirin Tor and the Horde they will likely be the ones to take the job with Silvermoon being the main center of Horde magic.
    "Terror, darkness, power? The Forsaken crave not these things; the Forsaken ARE these things."

Quote Originally Posted by leaks View Post
    Horde already have the Reliquary. Which has a similar role of finding and storing magical artifacts for the Horde. So if there isn't some kind of peace between the Kirin Tor and the Horde they will likely be the ones to take the job with Silvermoon being the main center of Horde magic.
    The Reliquary are more the counterpart to the Explorer's League.
    Twas brillig

There needs to be something to explain, and expand upon Orc, Troll and Goblin mages. We know Blood Elves have always been gifted mages. And the Forsaken are simply dead humans who were mages in life.

But Trolls, Orcs and Goblins feel like they should have their own source of arcane knowledge. Since those races have had barely any contact with Dalaran. They've always felt like "primal" mages who have a connection to the elements rather than a scholarly understanding of the arcane.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by leaks View Post
    In which Fanlyr is a ranking member.

10+ Year Old Account
    They are now but the Horde will need a organization for storing magic artifacts for themselves if the Kirin Tor is going to be Alliance only. Who better than the group already designed to do exactly that? What better place than Silvermoon?
    "Terror, darkness, power? The Forsaken crave not these things; the Forsaken ARE these things."

10+ Year Old Account
    Rommath should expand his Magisters/Sunreavers force into a Horde-encompassing group of magi. He could quite easily commandeer a plot of land on Quel'Danas to create a grand "Magisterium" or something.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gameplay-wise yes. But really the Explorer's League is for researching the origins of the Dwarfs, not so much to seek out and research magical artifacts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    In which Fanlyr is a ranking member.
    Yep, they also have a few Forsaken members already and there are at least a few Forsaken who were former Kirin Tor mages.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaelsino View Post
    Rommath should expand his Magisters/Sunreavers force into a Horde-encompassing group of magi. He could quite easily commandeer a plot of land on Quel'Danas to create a grand "Magisterium" or something.
    Just open magisters terrace with vendors etc. and the problem is solved.

I'm not neccisarily against the horde getting a mage focused group, but I'm also not a fan of the idea of 'one faction has X, so the other must always have X too!'

Currently, blood elves are the only horde race that really has the arcane built into their culture. The forsaken would be a distant second. Sure, they have mages, even some former dalaran mages, but most forsaken are from Lordaeron, and Lordaeron itself wasn't much of magical kingdom as far as I can remember. And Dalaran isn't just 'a group of Alliance mages,' it is its own sovereign nation that has recently rejoined the Alliance. I don't think there's a need to expand much on orc/troll/goblin mages, when the arcane is such a small part of those races cultures. But that's just my two cents on the subject.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Florena View Post
    I'm not neccisarily against the horde getting a mage focused group, but I'm also not a fan of the idea of 'one faction has X, so the other must always have X too!'

Currently, blood elves are the only horde race that really has the arcane built into their culture. The forsaken would be a distant second. Sure, they have mages, even some former dalaran mages, but most forsaken are from Lordaeron, and Lordaeron itself wasn't much of magical kingdom as far as I can remember. And Dalaran isn't just 'a group of Alliance mages,' it is its own sovereign nation that has recently rejoined the Alliance. I don't think there's a need to expand much on orc/troll/goblin mages, when the arcane is such a small part of those races cultures. But that's just my two cents on the subject.
    It wasn't so much magic kingdom, it's more like independent magic university and a little bit magic police. It was where people from all kingdoms went to train and study.

It wasn't so much magic kingdom, it's more like independent magic university and a little bit magic police. It was where people from all kingdoms went to train and study.
    People come from all over to study, yes, but they were always their own sovereign nation as well, rather than a conglomerate of magi that report back to other nations.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm also not a fan of the idea of 'one faction has X, so the other must always have X too!'
    Agree with this. Where's the alliance Apothecarium?

10+ Year Old Account
    People come from all over to study, yes, but they were always their own sovereign nation as well, rather than a conglomerate of magi that report back to other nations.
    The organization itself is independent, autonomous, and neutral. But its members still report to their home nations, especially if they are members of their home nation's government or military. They just can't represent Dalaran when they do nation specific things.

Of course there are people who were born in Dalaran, making them not belong to any nation.

EDIT: I know Dalaran is written as a kingdom, but it doesn't really act like one. It's governing body is a research institution. And has open borders to members of the other kingdoms. The other kingdoms were never united before the 2nd War. They were always at odds with each other.
    Last edited by Aquamonkey; 2013-03-01 at 09:43 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Horde already has two mage-focused groups. Rommath absorbed one of them into his own at the end of 5.1.

In general I agree. There are some certain things that simply shouldn't be replicated cross-faction (see the Royal Apothecary Society), but rights to a unique mage group isn't one of them. Between the Kirin Tor and Quel'Thalas, both factions have a very strong link to the mage thematic.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd most certainly like a Blood Elf equivalent.
    What I'd like to see is that the Magisters become a proper thing given how that's what the Sunreavers were added to. Rebuild Silvermoon and give them a big grand tower and a Magister's District or something like that while giving the NPC's "Magisters" organisation under their name like the Forsaken Apothecaries.
    The only problem with this is that I don't really know where the other races would fit into this.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaelsino View Post
    The Horde already has two mage-focused groups. Rommath absorbed one of them into his own at the end of 5.1.

In general I agree. There are some certain things that simply shouldn't be replicated cross-faction (see the Royal Apothecary Society), but rights to a unique mage group isn't one of them. Between the Kirin Tor and Quel'Thalas, both factions have a very strong link to the mage thematic.
    Yes, and i don't hold anything against the blood elf mage groups, I'm just a bit unsure that making a Kirin Tor esque group for the Horde but with orcs, trolls and goblins thrown in just for the sake of matching what the Alliance has is a good idea. I think the way things are now is fine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Scummer View Post
    I'd most certainly like a Blood Elf equivalent.
    What I'd like to see is that the Magisters become a proper thing given how that's what the Sunreavers were added to. Rebuild Silvermoon and give them a big grand tower and a Magister's District or something like that while giving the NPC's "Magisters" organisation under their name like the Forsaken Apothecaries.
    The only problem with this is that I don't really know where the other races would fit into this.
    Rebuild Silvermoon in lore or game environment? Most nobody goes to Silvermoon because it sucks without flying. Would be a dick move to make it a central hub.

10+ Year Old Account
    Rebuild Silvermoon in lore or game environment? Most nobody goes to Silvermoon because it sucks without flying. Would be a dick move to make it a central hub.
    Well it'll hardly be central because we probably won't see them used a lot after this for a while. Whether people go to it or not is irrelevant as it's in the game and thus a part of the world and shouldn't be left to rot. Tough that they added something that otherwise won't get used much, but as it's in the game just leaving it as it is is worse.

Even then rebuilding Silvermoon isn't mandatory to my suggestion as a whole, as I'd rather just see the Magisters be fleshed out.