Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #21
    Data Monster Simca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    FL, United States
    Posts
    10,333
    There are literally like five different generic brands of acid reflux medication tablets that are small, easy to swallow, once a day, and have zero side effects in most cases. I would definitely look into that for the future.

    Lots of my medications have side effects for nearly every user - the side effects just vary from mildly annoying to deadly - but acid reflux medication is either further developed or the disorder is easier to fix, so there are usually no side effects.

    I realized I had acid reflux around age 11 or so, been on the medication for over 10 years without a single occurrence of heartburn (well, except on the rare occasions I forgot to take it).
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

  2. #22
    Scarab Lord Forsedar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    4,231
    If you're having this frequently... I suggest a certain surgery my father had. I can't recall what it was called, but it had something to do with getting his stomach tied. It was a quick surgery and the recovery was a bit painful for him, but he has zero issues with acid reflux anymore. The only downside is that he literally can't burp anymore, which is awkward when your body is trying to retrain itself to not send burps up the already tied part.

    He also was a little overweight, but he lost a lot of weight after the surgery and is healthier than ever. Its not a major surgery either. All they did was poke a few holes around his stomach and did it from there. He has no scarring or anything.

  3. #23
    Happens to me constantly, and I'm adding a vote for milk. I keep a few of those smaller "milk chug" bottles in the fridge, and they help a ton with it. Anything that's made with the most basic ingredients is good. Milk, water, etc. Stay away from juice/soda or anything that might have any form of acid content. Also stay away from alcohol when you're feeling the reflux/heartburn obviously.

    I also take the generic brand of Zantac 75, and it works pretty well for me.

  4. #24
    Milk or water with baking soda always help me. Don't drink much coffee and quit smoking if you do

  5. #25
    Try green tea, works for me.

  6. #26
    I've always had good luck with the baking soda and water method. It seems to work well on my heartburn symptoms.

  7. #27
    Old God Grizzly Willy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Kenosha, Wisconsin
    Posts
    10,207
    Quote Originally Posted by Heartburn Sufferer View Post
    I've always had good luck with the baking soda and water method. It seems to work well on my heartburn symptoms.
    Yeah, that's what I use. That or Tums.

  8. #28
    The Lightbringer Uennie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ner'zhul
    Posts
    3,815
    Bourbon, obviously.

    "Milk" .... psh ...

    Also salsa.

    Fight fire with fire, right?

  9. #29
    Legendary! HeatherRae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    6,459
    Eat a tums.
    Tiriel US-Illidan

    Signature by Shyama

  10. #30
    Bloodsail Admiral sugarlily's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Sunny South Carolina
    Posts
    1,117
    Quote Originally Posted by Karokol View Post
    Keep your head up (don't lay down/do cartwheels/take a nap), as you want to keep the acid down. Avoid spicy foods, alcohol, and caffeine, as well as smoking. Eat something like non-citric fruits, vegetables, bread, something low fat and not processed sugar (avoid milk unless it's buttermilk). Crackers, almonds, and rice may help as well, particularly unsalted crackers. Fresh apples will probably be your best bet with fruits. As for spices, cinnamon, sage, and ginger are all slightly basic so they might take the edge off. Probably the most important thing is to not get stressed, as this can make it worse.

    Also, in the future if you have a lot of problems, look at getting a preventative heartburn medication like prilosec or zantac (or any other histamine blockers or PPIs).


    Actually, despite common belief milk can make acid reflux worse despite it being soothing on the throat going down.
    Pretty much everything Karokol's post says. Do NOT fuck around & just keep treating the symptoms though if you have heart burn/acid reflux often. You'll burn holes & sores into your throat/esophagus, possibly damage your vocal chords (which can encourage cancer ~ many inflammations/damage can do that btw) & even lead to dangerous bleeding & even life-threatening ulcers in your stomach & duodenum.

    Just buckle down & go see a dr., preferably a gastroenterologist that specializes in this. If you have these symptoms of heart burn & acid reflux often ( more than once/week) you may NEED a PPI that helps you stop making so much digestive acid...the acid is literally burning up your soft tissue linings of your throat & stomach.

    I waited & fucked around & ended up almost bled out. Had to have 2 whole blood transfusions & spent Christmas week in ICU & then CCU. Not fucking fun & quite scary for myself & my Family too :*(

    Just go get a few opinions from actual doctors that are trained specifically for this, it's worth it to find out what the cause is, NOT JUST TREAT THE SYMPTOM(S) :)

    I wish you the best~ I had had heart burn/reflux all my life & didn't know the difference until after the emergency & the following treatment (I tested negative for H-pylori but you may have it!) of PPIs/Zantac-rantitidine/Protonix-Pantoprazole & omeprazole-Prilosec. Most ppl won't get as many rxs- my body is just retarded, but I haven't had that too full/heart burn/acid reflux since! Thank God & what a difference..wish I had known what I was missing <3 GO GET IT CHECKED OUT!

  11. #31
    Yeah, you should go get checked out. But if you have a mild case of heartburn, some of Karokol's suggestions do help.

  12. #32
    Gaviscon, tablets or liquid, i had it one night really bad, couldnt breathe, puked nothing but acid up, thought i was gonna die because i couldnt catch my breath, a friend told me and i take them before bed if i eat late, or i usually take nexium.

  13. #33
    Immortal Flutterguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Derpifornia
    Posts
    7,907
    There's really no such thing as immediate relief with it comes to reflux. Once it's going you're gonna be dealing with it for a while. Best thing is to sit up or elevate your head. Give it time. Eating something bland may help. If it's a frequent issue, diety changes are likely necessary. You can try acid reducers, but they come with their own issues and you can develop an allergy to them. Don't pound tums. It will give you a kidney stone. Tums were never meant to be regularly taken. lol

    Stay light on the sauces.
    Avoid acidic food.
    Avoid spicy food.
    Avoid caffeine.
    Avoid orange juice.
    Anything that's particularly greasy will get you too..

    And don't eat late at night. Better to sleep with an empty stomach.

    It sucks, but yeah. That's how I've managed it.

  14. #34
    i find it kind of funny that the forum filled with computer nerds also happens to be filled with heartburn experts.

    - clean up your diet, more whole foods and the tips most people have given here regarding foods are true.
    - exercise, even if you're thin and especially if you're overweight.
    - use probiotics

    those 3 things should be the foundation. there are a lot of tips other people have said but they are mostly quick fix things that shouldn't be used often unless a doctor tells you to. PPI's in particular can do more harm than good so do not stay on them for more than a month or 2. it will come down to healthy lifestyle changes which aren't easy, suck it up and be an adult. an elimination diet is also recommended, do not eat anything with allergens in it for a few weeks and see how you feel, avoiding gluten and dairy is tricky but it can really help.

  15. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    Milk helps with spicy foods, try that.
    Difference in what burns. In spicy food its capcisin which is fat-soluable while with acid reflux its... well... acid.

    Acid burns. Even goggles do nothing.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by sugarlily View Post
    Pretty much everything Karokol's post says. Do NOT fuck around & just keep treating the symptoms though if you have heart burn/acid reflux often. You'll burn holes & sores into your throat/esophagus, possibly damage your vocal chords (which can encourage cancer ~ many inflammations/damage can do that btw) & even lead to dangerous bleeding & even life-threatening ulcers in your stomach & duodenum.

    Just buckle down & go see a dr., preferably a gastroenterologist that specializes in this. If you have these symptoms of heart burn & acid reflux often ( more than once/week) you may NEED a PPI that helps you stop making so much digestive acid...the acid is literally burning up your soft tissue linings of your throat & stomach.

    I waited & fucked around & ended up almost bled out. Had to have 2 whole blood transfusions & spent Christmas week in ICU & then CCU. Not fucking fun & quite scary for myself & my Family too :*(

    Just go get a few opinions from actual doctors that are trained specifically for this, it's worth it to find out what the cause is, NOT JUST TREAT THE SYMPTOM(S)

    I wish you the best~ I had had heart burn/reflux all my life & didn't know the difference until after the emergency & the following treatment (I tested negative for H-pylori but you may have it!) of PPIs/Zantac-rantitidine/Protonix-Pantoprazole & omeprazole-Prilosec. Most ppl won't get as many rxs- my body is just retarded, but I haven't had that too full/heart burn/acid reflux since! Thank God & what a difference..wish I had known what I was missing <3 GO GET IT CHECKED OUT!
    Actually it wont burn your stomach but only your esophageus. And yes, you are right, it increases the chance of cardia cancer if it happens regularly over a long time. Not unusual for large chubby men who like their red meat.

  16. #36
    If you want immediate relief, take an antacid containing a neutralizing agent, like calcium carbonate or magnesium hydroxide. This doesn't affect acid generation, but does neutralize the acid that is there.

    To shut down acid generation, I strongly recommend omeprazole (Prilosec and generic equivalents). Talk to a doctor before starting on it, however.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "Almost every time I have gotten to know a critic personally, they keep up with the criticism but lose the venom." -- Ghostcrawler
    Q: Why was the anti-vaxxer's 4 year old child crying? A: Midlife crisis.

  17. #37
    Dont treat the symptoms, treat the sickness.
    The enviroment in your stomach seems quite bad. Mainly this Comes from eating the wrong stuff, and especially overeating.
    Live a bit more healthy and you wont have to deal with this at all.

    But first see a doctor and check where this is coming from. While overeating is in about 90% the reason for this, you still cant be sure.

    besides, if there´s stomach acid in your throat, it will start burning into your throat Skin. If that happened, there is no relief anymore aside from letting it heal.

  18. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by ripponesan View Post
    Dont treat the symptoms, treat the sickness.
    The enviroment in your stomach seems quite bad. Mainly this Comes from eating the wrong stuff, and especially overeating.
    Live a bit more healthy and you wont have to deal with this at all.

    But first see a doctor and check where this is coming from. While overeating is in about 90% the reason for this, you still cant be sure.
    Or you know, his eosophageal sphincters just arent working right...

  19. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by weedburst View Post
    i find it kind of funny that the forum filled with computer nerds also happens to be filled with heartburn experts.

    - clean up your diet, more whole foods and the tips most people have given here regarding foods are true.
    - exercise, even if you're thin and especially if you're overweight.
    - use probiotics
    and I assume you're the actual expert here? I don't recall anyone saying they were an expert, and giving advice on something as common as heartburn isn't really far fetched. Oh but that's right, we are "computer nerds" because we are using computers I suppose? I suppose I am also car nerd because I use a car, or a food expert because I eat food as well. But hey, you're the voice of true reason here I assume, and I truly thank you for your input on your profound knowledge of heartburn prevention...even though the question wasn't about how to prevent heartburn.

  20. #40
    The Patient Yimereh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    The North where Monopoly Money reigns
    Posts
    210
    Organic Apple Cider Vinegar if you can stomach it. You can dilute it in water or if you are a fan of the vinegar taste just take a couple of swigs. I binge eat occasionally, which is a bad habit, and apple cider vinegar is a huge help whenever I get acid reflux. It harmonizes well with your stomach acids and rapidly reduces the time it takes to break down food in the stomach and establish a proper pH. I usually consume it after every meal, adjusting the amount based on portion size and I have noticed a large improvement with overall digestion for a couple of years now.
    My Partner does vegan food art @Monaco's Kitchen:
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Monacos-Kit...age_fan_invite
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/monacoskitchen/

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •