10+ Year Old Account

So can any of the caster classes sense magic and also suppress it?

I guess there are other specific questions that might go along this with but I was curious. I think the High Elves found a way to suppress their magic so they couldn't be sensed or was that the Highborne? However the question isn't just for the Elves but can any caster sense other magical users nearby and can they suppress it if it isn't some racial trait?

Another question would be if priests could use telepathy since a good majority of the shadow tree has them using mind based moves?

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not sure if they've made much lore about magic sensing between magic users. I haven't read many of the novels, but they might have explained it in a novel, but I'm not sure. There's a lot of things about magic I don't THINK they've touched on either. One thing I would like to know is if you have to be born with a certain gift to be able to use magic, or if using magic is just a matter of learning to wield it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Roggles View Post
    I'm not sure if they've made much lore about magic sensing between magic users. I haven't read many of the novels, but they might have explained it in a novel, but I'm not sure. There's a lot of things about magic I don't THINK they've touched on either. One thing I would like to know is if you have to be born with a certain gift to be able to use magic, or if using magic is just a matter of learning to wield it.
    I think magic is a learned training. The Orc mage explanation tells you that your instructor had been studying for years learning the Arcane in the libraries of the Undercity. When the Cataclysm hit she decided it was time to come back to teach the new Orcs how to do it. Genetics probably play a part or at least make it easier to study.

My understanding is that arcane magic is both a factor of genetics and study. The gift of magic is rare, and learning to harness it takes a lot more than picking up a staff and making fire happen.