good resources for beginners?

as the title suggests.

I just started playing LoL and after doing the tutorial i still have no idea whats going on. I don't want to just jump into a game and flail blindly. after googling around for tips and strats most of what I encounter is acronyms and euphemisms.

where would be a good place to start for me or other people who are new to this game type?

www.lolpro.com and www.solomid.net (make sure to check the views/votes and if it's featured or not. featured guides are usually written by a high elo player and more reliable guides).

Watching someone stream like Wingsofdeath or Scarra helps a lot as well because they usually talk a lot while streaming and explain why they did this or why they bought that item instead of XYZ.

But you can't make too many mistakes by just playing. Be prepared that you will have some "smurfs" (players who have a level30 account already) in your game and they will stomp you. Most of them have bad manners and rage & flame a lot which is why the mute button is your friend when you can't just ignore it (press TAB + click the bubble near their name). Don't be depressed if you lose your first few games badly. After a few games, most smurfs will be filtered out already and you will play against players with a similar skill as you
    Last edited by meteo; 2013-03-02 at 06:55 AM.

Stop worrying! One of the things with the LoL matchmaking system is it mostly works out pretty well at low levels. If you play a few games you'll end up in the right bracket with other people who are brand new.

Before you jump into PvP matches though you can play vs bots. Select vs AI when you go to join the queue for a game. Bots are a good way to get into things but they are just that, bots. They don't play as well as players do, they have no jungle, often don't chase you if you break sight with bushes and are generally very forgiving. As such there can be a big jump between bot games and player games but it'll help you get into the swing of things like CSing (creep score) (Getting the last hit on the minion waves in your lane so you get the gold from the kill) You'll also be introduced to a lot of the champions through the bot system.

Lvl 30 on your summoner profile takes a while to get to, and it's after you get to this point (especially if you play ranked) that you'll need to have a decent grasp of the game.

As for guides try youtube searches or asking questions in matches. These may be slightly advanced for a total beginner but they might also help.
    http://www.lolpro.com/guides/game-play

Lastly, feel free to post your summoner name and region in this thread and someone might offer to play a few games with you to help you learn the ropes.

Thanks a lot

I still have a bunch of reading to do it's time to get my hands dirty.

I find if your looking for explanations watch streams on Twitch TV.

As Meteo said Wingsofdeath( Jungler and top lane) and Scarra(midl ane) are worth watching and will explain why they did that. I would add in watching Voyboy he explains a lot to and plays top lane and mid. Some streamers wont explain stuff but can be entertaining, find your fave streamers and stick by them.

Start watching the LCS pro league and any tourneys coming up.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

Deleted
    I don't know if this is possible for you, but if you can find a friend who's already playing and at level 30, and you don't mind "starting the game on hard-mode", I found it very helpful to play with my level 30 friends almost right off the bat. I was at a bit of a disadvantage due to experience, runes, champion pool, but I felt a lot more comfortable quite early due to playing against people who weren't ignoring basic mechanics of the game at levels 1-10 :P

Also, don't buy runes before level 20, that's when you unlock the best ones! I also suggest saving up all your IP during 1 to 30 and then going on a shopping spree for runes when you get there. Play the free champs until then and you'll have a good idea who you want to play with perhaps when you get to level 30.

Disclaimer: My friends had to be quite patient with me for a while :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deylana View Post
    I don't know if this is possible for you, but if you can find a friend who's already playing and at level 30, and you don't mind "starting the game on hard-mode", I found it very helpful to play with my level 30 friends almost right off the bat. I was at a bit of a disadvantage due to experience, runes, champion pool, but I felt a lot more comfortable quite early due to playing against people who weren't ignoring basic mechanics of the game at levels 1-10 :P

Also, don't buy runes before level 20, that's when you unlock the best ones! I also suggest saving up all your IP during 1 to 30 and then going on a shopping spree for runes when you get there. Play the free champs until then and you'll have a good idea who you want to play with perhaps when you get to level 30.

Disclaimer: My friends had to be quite patient with me for a while :P
    This is the best thing for a beginner to do, if u have a friend that is level 30 it will be perfect for u, i did the same thing as Deylana and i will not lie to u it was hard like hell every game i had a level 30 and believe me when i tell u, the runes and mastery and the huge experience they have its huge, if u had some money to spend i suggest u to buy a bundle and IP boost and don't waste IP till level 20+ when u have level 3 runes, this if u want to play the game more serious later

10+ Year Old Account
    Both the aforementioned sites (solomid and lolpro) have generic guides as well. They can come in fairly handy to get a basic idea. Easiest way is to queue up with someone who knows what's going on though

Deleted
    Watching streams after I learned what was going on around me more less, helped me a lot when I was just a newbie.

Don't worry too much. You can learn quite a bit from the sites listed, but most of your learning will come from in game. Most of the guides are for level 30s anyway so they skip out on a lot of important things beginners (who are the ones who need them) need to know. It will take time to remember what every champion is capable of doing, important things to time, items etc. Just read up on whatever character you're playing and see what build order and items are normally taken and the reasons why. I still pull up a guide on most of my games because the amount of items are still a little overwhelming.

I'm summoner level 27 and I still run into people that don't know the basics of the game, and it's very rare I'm in a game with a jungler (besides me).

You will disregard this, but that does not make it untrue. When you reach 15, Q up for a 5 man. Tell everyone you are new to the game and would appreciate any tips or hints. You will take grief, but you will meet people willing to help you that know your class. Listen.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanker View Post
    You will disregard this, but that does not make it untrue. When you reach 15, Q up for a 5 man. Tell everyone you are new to the game and would appreciate any tips or hints. You will take grief, but you will meet people willing to help you that know your class. Listen.
    You may be thinking about the wrong game :P

Deleted
    http://leaguecraft.com/ might be a helpful page for beginners and 'not so new' summoners too

Deleted
    Just watch streams and play. You have to practise a lot and you'll be the best. Which champion do you play?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RAWRF View Post
    Its called google search for League of Legends instead of being a lazy ass and posting on a forum for sites. I just googled it and came up with tons of perfectly good sites for all the info you could possibly ever want.
    And then he ends up on a site like mobafire where he shouldn't be. You shouldn't be flamed for asking for help, especially because no one in this retarded community ever has the courage or ability to ask better players for help.

10+ Year Old Account
    Actually... yes it is. Especially for a new comer as they won't be able to tell a high rated shit guide from a poorly rated good guide.

Quote Originally Posted by Duilliath View Post
    Actually... yes it is. Especially for a new comer as they won't be able to tell a high rated shit guide from a poorly rated good guide.
    I second this. The idea of mobafire is good but the fact that the community is the only thing rating guides is bad. I was surprised to learn the % brackets last season and was shocked. Looks like most of the players don't even understand the basics and they should rate guides?

They are the people who write "I followed your guide and went 30/1/15. Worked great!" and don't understand that following a guide exactly is wrong in most games and that they should and could have ended the game far earlier than they did.

Quote Originally Posted by Duilliath View Post
    Word!

Lolking.net has some goo charts and guides if you want to pursue a "bigger" career in LoL
    Money talks, bullshit walks..