Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

The Unannounced Feature is "older content [...] something along those lines"

BlizzPlanet interview with Tom Chilton last night.

Q: Ghostcrawler hinted at an unannounced feature in this expansion that is going to really change how WoW is going to be played, much like the LFR feature – can we get a hint on when we might see this feature and what it might pertain to?

A: We will probably see it in the 5.4 neighborhood if we are able to get it done in time. As far as hints a lot of players in the past have suggested that they be able to do older content so it’s probably something that goes along those lines.

So there we have it. Something to do with older content.

My theory:

Old Raids added in a meaningful way to LFR, possibly with up/downscaling involved.

Rewards: Some sort of 'Legacy Points', used to buy any old items for transmogrification.

That didn't sound like an answer from someone who knows, but more like speculation from someone who doesn't know
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Count Zero View Post
    That didn't sound like an answer from someone who knows, but more like speculation from someone who doesn't know
    Are you suggesting Tom Chilton doesn't know what's going on behind the scenes of WoW? :P

If anything the answer was a mild form of avoiding the topic while still alluding to what it might be. You KNOW it's going to be something to do with old content now that he said this. No way for them to back out on that.

Blizzard is never straight forward. For good reason.

And that is exactly how PR people are supposed to answer something they should answer yet
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ethos- View Post
    I literally die every time i see people using literally wrong.

I just hope it isn't something you "have" to do.

Don't get me wrong, I like older content but I don't want to have to redo everything to progress (kind of defeats the purpose of progress). I also don't want it to replace older content like the ZA / ZG remakes.

Yep, your answer also didn't sound like an answer from someone who knows like, anything about the game.

Deleted
    Personally I'd be happy if I could just have a way to find other people who want to do old raids. I mean it sucks having to look for people for hours (if you ever find any) to do Ulduar 25 for some nifty achievements and the legendary, or farm raid mounts in WotLK or Cata.

15+ Year Old Account
    He didnt really give any hints. What hes talking about is just an extension of LFR and will not change "how WoW will be played."

I'd like to see challenge modes of old raids, but thats not exactly a "game changer" either.

Of course, this could just be another case of Blizz putting their foot in their mouths while the community speculation runs wild =x

10+ Year Old Account
    I think some sort of Challenge mode added to old raids, complete with the gear downscaling (or monster upscaling in this case). Old raids may even be retuned as 5 player Challenge modes or 10 player challenges (who knows). It makes sense to roll this sort of stuff out during a final content patch when players are left looking for stuff to do for a longer amount of time (even if they once again say they are aiming to make it shorter).

I don't think Challenge modes have really taken off yet, and I think they invested enough timewise with the gearscaling mechanics that they would want to get more out of it and make it more popular. Even if they don't touch Challenge modes at all I think they are set to take off a bit popularity wise in the last patch of the expansion. If they do make some sort of version of the above speculation I would expect new transmog sets themed after each respective raid/tier (but with new polygons/art) and/or mounts as rewards.

I don't know obviously...just guessing out my ass, but this is the sort of thing I would get a team up for once the final raid is done to death and a new expansion still a ways off.
    "Brevity is...wit"

Deleted
    People (including me) have been suggesting scaled versions/"challenge modes" of old raiding content since MoP challenge modes (and the ilvl scaling tech) were introduced.

I don't care what the other thread says regarding it being "new content to play with". As far as I'm concerned the feature itself would class as new content, even if the old raids technically don't.

So yes, I can totally see the feature being LFR for old raids with appropriately scaled levels and ilvl... I'd personally love it - don't care what the rewards would be.

Challenge modes aren't really done by that many players. It's a minority of a minority. It is technically new content for many players though. Again like everything in warcraft it really depends on the rewards they put behidn it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenko View Post
    He didnt really give any hints. What hes talking about is just an extension of LFR and will not change "how WoW will be played."

I'd like to see challenge modes of old raids, but thats not exactly a "game changer" either.

Of course, this could just be another case of Blizz putting their foot in their mouths while the community speculation runs wild =x
    Yes he did. Why would he give a completely unrelated answer to a question? He clearly indicated what the feature was, without saying what it was.
    Just like Metzen more or less confirmed the next expansion by saying 'were gonna need Turalyon and Alleria for what's coming next'.

Quote Originally Posted by Leonard McCoy View Post
    Challenge modes aren't really done by that many players. It's a minority of a minority. It is technically new content for many players though. Again like everything in warcraft it really depends on the rewards they put behidn it.
    I have the feeling it wouldn't be "challenge mode" in the current sense, but rather a way to put the old raids on at least LFR difficulty. And since LFR difficulty is limited to the dungeon finder it also means the original instances can be left untouched.

Deleted
    im up for raid scaling with slight mechanics change. u know not every one could remove curses back then for example.

Deleted
    To be honest I would love such a feature. I mean, I started playing mid cata, I would love to raid Karazhan, Molten core, Blackwing Lair, Sunwell, Ulduar and many others with scaled ilvl/lvl. It would be an awesome experience for sure!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Risin View Post
    Yes he did. Why would he give a completely unrelated answer to a question? He clearly indicated what the feature was, without saying what it was.
    Just like Metzen more or less confirmed the next expansion by saying 'were gonna need Turalyon and Alleria for what's coming next'.
    I mean, hes vaguely saying that it involves old raids. Thats all he really says. Maybe Im just reading inbetween the lines but from my understanding, this new 'thing' was supposed to be something entirely out of left field. So far all hes revealed is future rehashed old content, either for LFR or Challenges.

That's not a bad thing. But, I was expecting something on the level of RBG > LFD > LFR > CRZ > ???

Old raids scaling with cross realm. LFR but not a faceroll one i gues... Or choosing difficulty...
    That would be awesome. I'm interested what rewards will be?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigmar View Post
    I have the feeling it wouldn't be "challenge mode" in the current sense, but rather a way to put the old raids on at least LFR difficulty. And since LFR difficulty is limited to the dungeon finder it also means the original instances can be left untouched.
    There is nothing saying it needs to be limited to the dungeon finder just to leave the older versions untouched, challenge modes are harder then heroics, yet uses the same instance and have active ilvl scaling. They also have the ability to scale levels as that is what will be done in non max level battlegrounds.

Sounds like the mentoring system.
    If you like my draw-rings. http://yig.deviantart.com/
    If you can't find them for some reason beyond that page. http://yig.deviantart.com/gallery/
    WOW screenshot and concept art gallery http://smg.photobucket.com/user/evilknick/library/WoW