Question about pets

Do warlock pets get glancing blows? If so, have any of you experimented with reforging hit to expertise in order to mitigate them?

Experitse have nothing to do with glancing blows - Dont think youll find much use of expertise other than for the hit rating.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't find current information on how Glancing Blows work with the new system where hit/expertise are mutually usuable by ranged, so I have no idea if reforging would actually do anything to be honest. I'm going to take a wild guess though and say the Blizz was aware of this and made sure it doesn't work that way.

All this not even counting the fact that the bit of glancing blows you'd get on the white attacks of your pet would most likely hardly be a DPS consideration compared to being able to reforge to more beneficial stats instead of "wasting" that reforging by getting more expertise.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    I can't find current information on how Glancing Blows work with the new system where hit/expertise are mutually usuable by ranged, so I have no idea if reforging would actually do anything to be honest. I'm going to take a wild guess though and say the Blizz was aware of this and made sure it doesn't work that way.

All this not even counting the fact that the bit of glancing blows you'd get on the white attacks of your pet would most likely hardly be a DPS consideration compared to being able to reforge to more beneficial stats instead of "wasting" that reforging by getting more expertise.
    As Gum said expertise has no effect on glancing blows, only dodges/parries. No mechanic in the game can reduce the chance of glancing blows.

Thanks for your responses guys, its been very helpful. In my experience, I haven't seen anyone math out the actual mechanics of shadowfiend/mindbender, and always playing a caster, I really have no experience with how glancing blows work, so I figured I'd ask classes that used pets on a regular basis.

If any of you have any references on how glancing blows are generated/determined, it'd be extremely appreciated.

Deleted
    http://www.wowpedia.org/Glancing_blow

Basically 24% of auto-attacks (at least vs boss level mobs) will always be glancing blows.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhia View Post
    http://www.wowpedia.org/Glancing_blow

Basically 24% of auto-attacks (at least vs boss level mobs) will always be glancing blows.
    That article seemed extremely outdated though. I wouldn't trust any information in it to be current. It only mentions stuff up to patch 3.3. Things might not have changed since then, but I personally wouldn't trust it for even something as general as what you say.

EDIT: It's the article I came across when looking for info on this last night. It's why I was reluctant to say anything on the subject.

Deleted
    That article seemed extremely outdated though. I wouldn't trust any information in it to be current. It only mentions stuff up to patch 3.3. Things might not have changed since then, but I personally wouldn't trust it for even something as general as what you say.

EDIT: It's the article I came across when looking for info on this last night. It's why I was reluctant to say anything on the subject.
    Looking at any melee parse you'll still find ~24% of auto-attacks are glancing blows. e.g. our feral's logs of sha progression - 24.36% of her auto-attacks were glancings. She's not hit or exp capped but you can look at the tanks or my auto-attacks (though I'm duel-wield), in each case you'll see roughly 24%.

10+ Year Old Account

It's still correct, its been like that in wotlk, in cataclysm and it's still the same.
    24% of your autoattacks will always be a glancing blow, dealing 75% damage of what it should have done. As for now, there still is no way to reduce that, so extra hit, expertise or just standing behind a mob won't change a thing.
    And just as a note, only pets and players are capable to do glancing blows against mobs, not against other players.