Thread: 5.2 Arena Spec

5.2 Arena Spec

Hi,
    I levelled a warlock to 90 some time ago, I've never been into wizards before.
    Keeping that in mind (well that I panic a bit with too many melees on me ;>), would demo be viable for 5.2 pvp ? Like would people even consider taking demo lock to 3s ?

I played _some_ games in 5.1, I seem to do quite good damage, but it's quite hard to actually finish someone off.

If not demo then what ? I suck a bit at destro, cant get too many CB off with soooo long casts, and affli seems to be getting a nerf in 5.2 when it wasnt even too viable in 5.1.

Affliction if you can get a Shadowcleave (AffLock/UH DK/Healer) team, otherwise Destruction.

If you go demo in 3s you should strongly consider choosing GoSac. The damage boost it gives when you go Meta for kills/high pressure is pretty crucial for demo viability in my experience. Without it you won't be much of a threat thanks to the overnerf to Chaos Wave some time ago.
    Last edited by Demonized; 2013-03-02 at 02:03 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    MLS, MLD, shadowplay, shadowcleave and RLS all have potential to work out well in 5.2, with the lock as affliction.

Affliction isn't necessarily getting nerfed. It's just changed, for good and for bad. I'm not saying that it's gonna be anywhere near a top spec though, but probably ahead the other two lock specs overall.

Destro and affli ... Hm, I'll try ;>

Demo is very viable in arena, and is the only spec of the 3 that you can carry a 2's with (nobody cares about 2's rating, but if you're capping fast to get your upgrades / gear before 5's / 3's / rbg's, you can only carry at a high win rate with demo). Chaos Wave wasn't even super useful before it got nerfed, it was great for lazy damage or to throw out if they were dumb enough to be all grouped up, but even then it was still a lazy spell because Imm Aura + tab target Touch of Chaos does WAY more damage (and always did).

Destro is not viable in arena. It's great for rbg, but once you even get into decent rating people use focus targets and chaos bolts are almost always interrupted or reflected.

Aff is good for higher numbers, the bigger the crowd the better because you don't have burst on your own to kill 1 on 1.

---------- Post added 2013-03-03 at 08:25 AM ----------

Oh and don't take Sac as demo. You will be the focus cc target quite a bit, and your demon(s) are still pummeling them while you are cc'd using the other grimoire's.

Quote Originally Posted by fiestatastic View Post
    Demo is very viable in arena, and is the only spec of the 3 that you can carry a 2's with (nobody cares about 2's rating, but if you're capping fast to get your upgrades / gear before 5's / 3's / rbg's, you can only carry at a high win rate with demo). Chaos Wave wasn't even super useful before it got nerfed, it was great for lazy damage or to throw out if they were dumb enough to be all grouped up, but even then it was still a lazy spell because Imm Aura + tab target Touch of Chaos does WAY more damage (and always did).

Destro is not viable in arena. It's great for rbg, but once you even get into decent rating people use focus targets and chaos bolts are almost always interrupted or reflected.

Aff is good for higher numbers, the bigger the crowd the better because you don't have burst on your own to kill 1 on 1.

---------- Post added 2013-03-03 at 08:25 AM ----------

Oh and don't take Sac as demo. You will be the focus cc target quite a bit, and your demon(s) are still pummeling them while you are cc'd using the other grimoire's.
    don't really agree on the sac part of demo. sac your demon as part of your burst macro will increase your dps alot. you just need to resummon it when your done with your burst:P

Service demo gives the same burst as gosack "approximately" but has been working better for me because players tend to cc when you pop meta. Your double chaos wave/toc spam hits just as hard as with gosup but the extra stun/burst using goserv as a burst macro with imp swarm hits just as hard as gosac imo and since you are still doing pressure while cc'd "dark soul mastery makes pets hit hard" it makes goserv a viable but yet overlooked combo that I've been having a blast with. But that's just me. Its almost like being a BM hunter having your zoo cleaving through opponents which feels very "demo" to me.
    Last edited by Lucidious; 2013-03-03 at 07:57 PM.

Demo or Affliction will both be great. The nerf to sac will hurt destro burst a lot! I know I wont be having a destro spec after 5.2 and im fine with that! ;D

Deleted
    Woah, so warlocks won't suck next patch?? I am kinda freshly dinged and don't have any much experience, but just a while ago on this forum it sounded like warlocks would be like MW monk was this season.

10+ Year Old Account
    Demo will be the top spec across the board. The damage buff, and burst potential all put it at a very wide advantage to the other specs in 2s and 3s. In 5s it may be different. With Destro facing a wide variety of nerfs, not just from GoSac, but from scaling - I can't say it will do well. Blizzard has shitted on Destro for years, and it will continue to do so for a while here still it seems.

Aff seems to be decent in 5.2 but I guess as always Destr will only work up to 1800ish, then people will focus more on interrupt your CB.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gl playing destro past 1800 mmr where people actually know what kick is.

Afflic will be #1 if you know to how play it.
    and demo is bad despite the dmg buffs, just trust.

Quote Originally Posted by Principe View Post
    Gl playing destro past 1800 mmr where people actually know what kick is.

Afflic will be #1 if you know to how play it.
    and demo is bad despite the dmg buffs, just trust.
    yep. what this guy say.
    other ppl who claims otherwise are clueless...

Destro can easily carry for cap in twos, dunno what people are talking about. Played it from 1500 to 1700 mmr with some random mage from trade chat using no voice comm and we went 10-1. Did the same with a DK from my guild the week before, also went 9-1 (I had done some random bgs before that, so didn't need 10). It's just 2s at crap mmr, but the specc works fine for that.

As for 3s, destro with supremacy is actually looking pretty good. Hell, even service is a good alternative; the burst is immense. Sac is very popular, but with the 10% nerf it'll be inferior to the other two (though still stronger than it is right now due to the straight damage buff we're getting). With the warrior nerfs casting should be less of an issue, but we will see a rise of rogues again so that might was out into nothing. I see MLD with a frost mage working out nicely since they will need to sit the mage a lot to stop him from casting, leaving you free. Destro also has really strong survivability (sac pact is even getting buffed next patch) so that is something to keep in mind. All in all I would say it comes down to comp and personal preference, but aff will probably have the edge.

I think i'm gonna try affli if with dk in 3s, demo for others