Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Glyph of Shadowbolt

Hi,

Really simple question - just wondering if anyone knows if the (minor) Glyph of Shadowbolt is just a cosmetic change to Shadowbolt or does affect DPS?

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    it smooths out dps a bit due to each bolt having a seperate chance to crit. but over the course of a long fight this will be less and less noticable. one thing to take into account is that glyphed SB travels much slower than non-glyphed, which can be an issue on things like elegon sparks or tsulong adds, for example. it does NOT affect proc rates like some people will try to tell you.
    Last edited by Viggers; 2013-03-02 at 01:57 PM.

it smooths out dps a bit due to each bolt having a seperate chance to crit. but over the course of a long fight this will be less and less noticable. one thing to take into account is that glyphed SB travels much slower than non-glyphed, which can be an issue on things like elegon sparks or tsulong adds, for example. it does NOT affect proc rates like some people will try to tell you.
    One thing to note on that is there is a maximum travel time of about 1.5 sec for any spells with travel time. Even if the graphic hasn't reached the target on the client side the server has counted it. I don't have an exact source but I believe it was mentioned during the GC class balance thread during beta.

Quote Originally Posted by Viggers View Post
    it does NOT affect proc rates like some people will try to tell you.

Do you have any proof of this? I'd never heard anything against the proc chance increasing before.

10+ Year Old Account
    only 1st shadowbolt got chance to proc trinkets/enchants ect , easy way to check it - get one of those fancy stacking trinkets form ds - you only get 1 stack / cast even tho its 3 mini shadowbolts hitting target

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Teye View Post
    Do you have any proof of this? I'd never heard anything against the proc chance increasing before.
    I don't have the exact quote, but I was under the impression glyph of shadowbolt had been hotfixed so that only the middle bolt counted for procs. I might be very wrong of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Greymalkin View Post
    I don't have the exact quote, but I was under the impression glyph of shadowbolt had been hotfixed so that only the middle bolt counted for procs. I might be very wrong of course.
    i thought of it to. but it was also some time ago

Deleted
    What happened to the animation where the warlock threw all 3 bolts behind him to fling upwards over the head and towards the target? Can't explain it better but I know I saw a video of that, maybe it was one of those MMO-C vids they had before MoP released, that showed all new spell effects.

Cause my glyphed Shadowbolt looks like crap. :-/

Quote Originally Posted by Lemie View Post
    What happened to the animation where the warlock threw all 3 bolts behind him to fling upwards over the head and towards the target? Can't explain it better but I know I saw a video of that, maybe it was one of those MMO-C vids they had before MoP released, that showed all new spell effects.

Cause my glyphed Shadowbolt looks like crap. :-/
    They toned it down cause it was too flashy, and there's supposedly too many flashy spells in this game which distracts. Or something.

Anyway long story short, we got a crap version and the amazing version was thrashed.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    i dont have proof, but get one of those stacking DS trinkets from spine and cast glyphed SB. only one stack. i cant find the source (cant be bothered) but only the first (or middle, or last) bolt is actually capable of proccing.

Quote Originally Posted by Harsesis View Post
    One thing to note on that is there is a maximum travel time of about 1.5 sec for any spells with travel time. Even if the graphic hasn't reached the target on the client side the server has counted it. I don't have an exact source but I believe it was mentioned during the GC class balance thread during beta.
    hmmmmmmmmm. interesting.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirque View Post
    They toned it down cause it was too flashy, and there's supposedly too many flashy spells in this game which distracts. Or something.

Anyway long story short, we got a crap version and the amazing version was thrashed.
    Too flashy? Is there such a thing?

Deleted
    About people mentioning the DS trinket: there's a difference between "your harmful spells have a chance to" and "each time you deal damage". For the first kind, the procs happen as you finish your cast, not when the spell lands. For the latter, it's exactly what it says.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by darlissa View Post
    About people mentioning the DS trinket: there's a difference between "your harmful spells have a chance to" and "each time you deal damage". For the first kind, the procs happen as you finish your cast, not when the spell lands. For the latter, it's exactly what it says.
    and the DS trinket is the second kind

Deleted
    and the DS trinket is the second kind
    O'rly? As far as I remember dot ticks did not give a stack, only the cast of the dot did. Read the tooltip and the comments:

http://www.wowhead.com/item=77198/wi...nding#comments

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    but periodic effects are different. i mean if you cast 10 fel flames you WILL get 10 stacks, if you cast 10 unglyphed SB you WILL get 10 stacks. if you cast 10 glyphed SB you WILL still get 10 stacks. just seems like if the proc chances were changed by glyphing that wouldnt be the case.

as i said, i have no proof but i am fairly certain that glyphed SB doesnt effect any proc rates
    Last edited by Viggers; 2013-03-03 at 02:05 PM.

Deleted
    but periodic effects are different. i mean if you cast 10 fel flames you WILL get 10 stacks, if you cast 10 unglyphed SB you WILL get 10 stacks. if you cast 10 glyphed SB you WILL still get 10 stacks. just seems like if the proc chances were changed by glyphing that wouldnt be the case.

as i said, i have no proof but i am fairly certain that glyphed SB doesnt effect any proc rates
    http://www.wowhead.com/item=50345#comments This is an example of trinket that procs "when you deal damage". I just tested it and it gives 2 stacks for each glyphed shadowbolt cast. Note that the stacks are gained when the spell lands (aka when you deal damage), unlike your example of DS trinket which gives it's stacks when the spell has finished it's cast (aka "your harmful spells grant ...") . Why 2 and not 3? I don't know, probably a bug of some sort. But for sure not 1. If blizzard ever releases such similar trinkets, then the glyph will increase your chance to proc.

The RPPM system however does not give higher proc uptime on average, regardless of how frequent you deal damage.

The RPPM system however does not give higher proc uptime on average, regardless of how frequent you deal damage.
    Higher uptime isn't the desire. More chances to proc is.

Deleted
    Higher uptime isn't the desire. More chances to proc is.
    What's the point of more chances if they are all lower chances and the average procs per minute is the same? It's proc uptime that should matter.

What's the point of more chances if they are all lower chances and the average procs per minute is the same? It's proc uptime that should matter.

Go research the Unerring Vision Trinket. You have a 0.013% chance to proc that trinket once every 2 minutes, as the .5 RPPM says you will. Glyphed Shadow Bolt increases that chance. That's what counts.

Deleted
    Go research the Unerring Vision Trinket. You have a 0.013% chance to proc that trinket once every 2 minutes, as the .5 RPPM says you will. Glyphed Shadow Bolt increases that chance. That's what counts.
    You don't understand how RPPM works. It doesn't matter how often you deal damage, the average should be the same. If you have an X chance to proc every T seconds, OR X/2 chance to proc every 2*T seconds, the average number of procs of that trinket will be the same.