Thread: Xbox 360 Woes

Deleted

Xbox 360 Woes

Ok so i had to replace my old Xbox 360 about 2 months ago after a 4 red ring after nearly 3 years So i got the new Xbox 360 Elite, but every so often it seems to overheat and just keeps opening and closing the disc draw repeatedly until i completely unplug it and give it 10 mins to cooldown, it doesnt do it all the time, only once every couple of days, but if it does do it it tends to do it a couple of times before i just give up and leaving for the day. May sound stupid but is it just worth taking it back and getting a replacement or is it from my positioning of it? It's not particularly in an enclosed space theres a good 6 inches about it to let air in but it does have the power supply about 1cm away from it so would that be the cause of it overheating?

Sorry if its in the wrong section, this was the only section that sounded like it may be likely to place it.

Thanks in advance

You probably shouldn't have bought a "new" elite. You should have bought a new slim XBox, as it would actually be new. I would definitely keep it in a more open space that way it can breathe better. Or keep a little house fan blowing on it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I actually have started repairing XBox 360s lately, so I understand your predicament.

There are a few things to note. First... The non-slim 360's are made terribly. Just... awful. It's no surprise you're having issues, and also the reason there are literally thousands on ebay.

If you can return it for a replacement, do it. It's pretty much a lottery. I bought mine used, and have had it for 4 years now.

If you can't get a replacement (under warranty), and feel DIY'y... a few things. There are often "XBox repair" people on craigslist, and many used game places do repair work. It's usually a Reflow or Reball process that can run from $30-$50. Another option is to open your XBox and add some small fans in front of the CPU heatsink, HOWEVER, I have heard some stories that adding a fan may cause it to have XBox Live issues, in that the XBox will see an added 12v variant as a mod chip, and get you banned.

I would try to get a replacement first, if it's covered. If it's not, just find the cheapest repair person. I've found that getting an XBox reflowed puts it in better shape than when it was made. Microsoft cut a LOT of corners to save money on these, which the consumer definitely feels.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Yeah as Chazus said the originals where made like shit, I've taken a few apart to mod them and the cooling is horrendous. Also the solder they used is shit and I've found it to a contributor to the RROD.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    I actually have started repairing XBox 360s lately, so I understand your predicament.

There are a few things to note. First... The non-slim 360's are made terribly. Just... awful. It's no surprise you're having issues, and also the reason there are literally thousands on ebay.

If you can return it for a replacement, do it. It's pretty much a lottery. I bought mine used, and have had it for 4 years now.

If you can't get a replacement (under warranty), and feel DIY'y... a few things. There are often "XBox repair" people on craigslist, and many used game places do repair work. It's usually a Reflow or Reball process that can run from $30-$50. Another option is to open your XBox and add some small fans in front of the CPU heatsink, HOWEVER, I have heard some stories that adding a fan may cause it to have XBox Live issues, in that the XBox will see an added 12v variant as a mod chip, and get you banned.

I would try to get a replacement first, if it's covered. If it's not, just find the cheapest repair person. I've found that getting an XBox reflowed puts it in better shape than when it was made. Microsoft cut a LOT of corners to save money on these, which the consumer definitely feels.
    For your own good, don't do what anything this guy tells you. Your post enraged me because of the stupidity that I had to make an account. Here, I'll list everything wrong with it.
    However, before I do: It has no relevance to heat I'm pretty sure. It seems like it's a faulty disk drive. Do you get any messages when it starts to do it?

"I actually have started repairing XBox 360s lately, so I understand your predicament."
    You obviously don't, lmao. You're either lying or quite possibly the worst repairer ever. Just a tip: Know what you're talking about before pretending it's your business.

"There are a few things to note. First... The non-slim 360's are made terribly."
    This is wrong. So apparently now Jaspers are terrible?

"If you can return it for a replacement, do it. It's pretty much a lottery. I bought mine used, and have had it for 4 years now. "
    Why would he do this? It takes 1 month+ to send it to xbox. If he can identify the problem and contact someone who can actually repair xboxes, he'd be looking at 1 week at most.

"It's usually a Reflow or Reball process that can run from $30-$50."
    Do you understand the process of reballing or reflowing? Can you stop blurting out shit to sound intelligent? Reballing and reflowing are for removing GPU/CPU related errors, such as E74. They have NO relevance to a console overheating.

"Another option is to open your XBox and add some small fans in front of the CPU heatsink, HOWEVER, I have heard some stories that adding a fan may cause it to have XBox Live issues, in that the XBox will see an added 12v variant as a mod chip, and get you banned."

This just tops it off lmao. You do realise putting a 12v fan is NEVER banned? EVER? All you're doing is using unused electricity from the DVD Drive to power the fan. However, considering he has a broken drive, that's probably not going to help, is it?

Please do your research before you speak.

Deleted
    Well as i said i've only had it for like 2 months so might just try get it replaced coz its pretty annoying, just dont wanna lose all my save games lol

Quote Originally Posted by Cadith View Post
    Well as i said i've only had it for like 2 months so might just try get it replaced coz its pretty annoying, just dont wanna lose all my save games lol
    Save the data?